Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George
Quote | Reply
Couldn't be more obvious about not only breaking the rules, but being blatantly obvious about it. Odd for a police officer…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0GAxdUUZY8

Then again last time I wrote in my occupation at a WTC race I put myself as a pilot
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not going to watch 14 minutes of video to try and figure out what you're talking about. Can you narrow it down a bit?
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going to respond tl;dw the whole thing but I am guessing it's about the guy(s) filming themselves the whole time presumably using an iPhone which is forbidden in racing. At least that's my guess after scrolling 6 mins in.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Video recorded himself and his own commentary during the bike and run leg. Camera wasn't mounted to his bike, instead just one hand on this bars the other scanning around with camera in hand.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I passed a girl at the top of Snow canyon with a backpack which was playing music pretty load. I saw her a couple of times on the run and had the same music playing but did not have her backpack I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw a guy cross the double yellow with a course marshall riding next to him. No penalty.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like a tough course, a lot walking!
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [SKIBUMM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I passed the same girl. At first I thought I was delusional from the heat, but then I saw the backpack. Give me a break.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the video has been taken down can you tell us about what happened?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bucket lister's don't give a shit about the race rules, etiquette or race times. They just want to check it off and say "Hey, did a ????? Triathlon".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But he's an IRONMAN!!!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really care one way or the other but I believe he could have been DQd before he even started the race.

At bike check in it shows him riding his bike at the venue without a helmet (oh horrors). I certainly
would not have narked him out for such a transgression but it's my understanding that them's the rules.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still for those of us that haven't seen the video can anyone say what happened?

Was it just the camera thing?
Last edited by: jaretj: May 8, 15 3:54
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read the 4th post.

Twitter@Forsey37
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meh... people have done worse... I see know reason why the OP made this a big deal... Yes he broke the rule... Shame on him, yet he didn't take any performance enhancement drug to win in his age group, he wasn't riding a bike with a electric motor on it nor was he cheating on the course. HE HELD A CAMERA! Build a Bridge....
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [MyBigWheel74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MyBigWheel74 wrote:
Meh... people have done worse... I see know reason why the OP made this a big deal... Yes he broke the rule... Shame on him, yet he didn't take any performance enhancement drug to win in his age group, he wasn't riding a bike with a electric motor on it nor was he cheating on the course. HE HELD A CAMERA! Build a Bridge....

I'm sure your 2nd post will be even better.
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [Forsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I saw that but thought maybe there was more to it than just that.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Douche probably took his kids out of school to watch him race too!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [MyBigWheel74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I've said this before and it always causes a bit of a furor. In these longer triathlons, honestly for over half of the field perhaps even 2/3's, it's really a sportif, if that. It's not a race. Now where you draw the line on this is trick, because, now you are judging and categorizing people, and that's always a challenge.

Do the drafting rules matter down to the centimetre for those at the front racing for the money, age-group wins podiums, and Kona qualifying spots . . darn right! For the one-and-done dude, coming in at 15 hours . . . not so much, if at all really!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I've said this before and it always causes a bit of a furor. In these longer triathlons, honestly for over half of the field perhaps even 2/3's, it's really a sportif, if that. It's not a race. Now where you draw the line on this is trick, because, now you are judging and categorizing people, and that's always a challenge.

Do the drafting rules matter down to the centimetre for those at the front racing for the money, age-group wins podiums, and Kona qualifying spots . . darn right! For the one-and-done dude, coming in at 15 hours . . . not so much, if at all really!

I generally agree. Don't give the 15hr guy a drafting penalty - just warn him and make him back off. BUT, two areas where I think the rules should be strictly enforced. 1 - Safety - If this guy had a camera mounted to his bike and was passively recoding I wouldn't care but riding along distracted with one hand on the bars while trying to create his own personal documentary poses a danger to those around him. I'm all in favor of handing out Darwin awards - by all means lets weed out the weak and stupid from the population. If you want to ride around the parking lot without a helmet before or after the race go for it, but don't do something that could endanger me or others. 2 - Littering - this is disrespectful to the towns and citizens that allow us to race on their streets. Have a little respect and shove your trash down your jersey until you get to a designated zone to dispose of it.

On a different note - this thread demonstrates the important distinction between a dumb-ass and a douche. The idiot filing the race is a dumb-ass. The guy who decided to make a big deal about it on the internes is a douche :) It's not about giving the guy a DQ. It's about ensuring safety on the course. I couldn't care less that he's allowed to finish the race or given an official finish time.
Last edited by: TH3_FRB: May 8, 15 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nerf Herder

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Guess #1978 snuck away without being DQ'd at St. George [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
Nerf Herder

Laugh it up, fuzzball.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply