Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Greatest Number of Years Between Ironman Races
Quote | Reply
I raced Ironman Maryland on 9/20/2014. Had a good race setting a PR of 10:54. Jim Hansen, who raced the Cape Cod Endurance Triathlon with me in 1983 and reported on the race, pointed out that 31 years between IM races may be a record. Has anyone waited longer between races? My race report is posted at https://www.facebook.com/blake.sajonia in case anyone is interested in comparing "comebacks" or talking about racing in the early '80s.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest Number of Years Between Ironman Races [sajonia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Orlowski finished third in the original Ironman in 1978, and then raced and finished the race again in 2008. So, I guess you've got him beat by a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the video - thank for posting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also thinking of Orlowski. You might be the "record holder".

Just out of curiosity how active were you in triathlon in between those two races?
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest Number of Years Between Ironman Races [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the replies everyone. I raced shorter distances from 1982 through 1986 and returned to triathlon, doing distances up to 70.3, in 2007. Given the lack of records, I'm not sure how many races I did in the early 80s. My recollection is 4 or 5 triathlons per year in '83, 84, 85, and 86. I was stationed in Virginia Beach (Little Creek), VA, then Long Beach, CA, during that time.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest Number of Years Between Ironman Races [Midi-chlorian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank Jim Hansen! He uploaded the video in a race report that he posted. The 1983 race was not fun for me and I never looked back until this year. Thanks to Jim's preservation of the race information, I was able to relive the experience and link it to IMMD 2014.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slight derailment of the thread, but what was the VB scene like back then? It's on my mind because we just had the 32nd annual Sandman at the oceanfront, but it's the only race left in the area aside from a heavily modified race in Hampton and a recently revived OBX Tri, but I've heard there were quite a few in Norfolk, Hampton, VB, and OBX.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest Number of Years Between Ironman Races [iank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a lot of triathlons to select from in 83 and 84 when I was in VB. My roommate and I did SandMan, CCET, one race in upstate NY, one in Roanoke, one in Norfolk, etc. Did a lot of 5Ks and 10Ks on the weekends locally, but generally had to travel for a triathlon.
Quote Reply