Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Great Ride
Quote | Reply
Sometimes it all lines up and is meant to be.

I was up at our cottage north of Toronto. There was a a very strong north wind blowing yesterday and it was to stay that way all day. I was set to drive home from the cottage, but an option opened up, that I could ride home if I wanted - it's about a 140K pretty much straight south to our house just north of Toronto. My brother-in-law would drive my car and my luggage home for me (He lives near-by)

If you ever get the option of a 140K ride with a strong tailwind most of the way, always say, "yes"!

Wow - what a ride!! For long stretches I was in the big ring moving along at 45+ K/hr. Best ride of the year so far! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Great Ride [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes windy days can really work in your favor. Like motor pacing. Just remember, unless you get screwed, the stronger the headwind, the faster the tailwind going home. My most memorably ride this season was comming off a recovery week and my 2nd ride that week was with 25-30mph cross headwind grinding at 90% for almost 90 minutes (set a power PR that I won't match for some time) and holding threshold up a few rolling hills. I turned around, got weird look fro ma bunch of dudes on Harleys parked at a crossroads as I pumped a air in the air and shouted a nice "wohoo!" and proceeded to spin out a 53/12 riding at just just 70% for most of the next 60 minutes back.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds great!

And to Motoguy I'm the idiot that always that is stupid enough to do that backwards and end up very far from home riding into a straight headwind because I was having too much fun to think about the consequences.

Edit: Grammar.
Last edited by: Staz: Jul 29, 14 9:24
Quote Reply
Re: Great Ride [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes living in the windy Midwest just makes me appreciate my power meter and indoor trainer even more. I usually keep one screen that had nothing but Power, HR, Cadence and Time on it. Actually it's the best screen for racing too.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice! Good for you. I love a point to point ride, probably because they are so rare.

On Friday I'm planning my 2nd annual "ferry ride." Normally I commute to NYC via the boat. It's awesome to use it for my PLEASURE instead and to get to roads I wouldn't ordinarily ride.

Some thunderstorms in the afternoon forecast so it may not all line up like yours but with or without rain it will beat commuting (and working)!
Quote Reply
Re: Great Ride [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like motor pacing.

For long stretches that's what it felt like.

I finished up surprisingly toasted.

I don't race any more so things like this are what I am into.

Then their is the satisfaction of having moved yourself with your own power, that far from one point-A to Point-B!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply