Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Great Read on the Future of the Bike Industry
Quote | Reply
http://lavamagazine.com/...bike-industry-going/

I'm particularly keen on Jimmy Seer's comments on equipment safety. I'd love to see some sort of rigorous tests for frames, wheels, and other components.
Quote Reply
Re: Great Read on the Future of the Bike Industry [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most countries require by law that bicycles sold there pass these ISO tests:

https://www.iso.org/ics/43.150/x/

Most reputable bike companies test beyond ISO standards, and add tests that are not (yet) included in the ISO requirements.

Passing is pretty much a given for good brands (it's the law). Which is why, as with helmets for another example, passing a safety standard is not normally marketed as a selling point - it doesn't significantly differentiate a brand.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a good discussion, and worth reading.

However, there's no mention of how the industry is selling (or not selling) its bikes to women. Nor discussion of how to keep their products both attractive and affordable so that cycling (in all its manifestations) is a mass-market activity and sport.

There's a really good moment in there when they mention how essential contact points are, but the reality is that the industry sells their bikes with shitty ass seats, terrible tape, and plastic pedals (yes, you remove them but they're what the customer gets). Until you start spending serious money on the bike, that's your experience.

And even then, almost nobody fits their riders to their bikes - that's an aftermarket experience or large additional cost chosen by enthusiasts.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't even know what to make of this...

first "boost is so dumb"

but then "we NEED disc brake TT bikes"
Last edited by: commendatore: May 28, 17 17:27
Quote Reply
Re: Great Read on the Future of the Bike Industry [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was clear to me that the panel was 'et up' with disc brakes. They noted that the industry failed to make a compelling case for pros to use them when perhaps a 'compelling' case does not exist. I for one, hope their vision of bikes as an integrated system akin to cars does not come to fruition.
Quote Reply
Re: Great Read on the Future of the Bike Industry [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
I don't even know what to make of this...

first "boost is so dumb"

but then "we NEED disc brake TT bikes"

I'm in agreement with you. Boost is actually a great idea. The current push to disc brakes is unnecessary IMO. That said, those interviewed are the ones who will be moving the needle in the years to come with regards to equipment.
Quote Reply