Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Great 1st ride of the year!
Quote | Reply
Group,

Once again I started my new year with a 6:30 am mountain bike ride. This year it was 60 degrees (19 last year) and driving rain. No problem.

Each year I purge all negative vibes and gremlims of the past year, give thanks, and look forward to the new year hoping to be a better person than the year before. In the middle of the 2 hour ride I sit atop a hill overlooking a lake and meditate as the sun rises. No sun this year, but the spiritual connection was strong as ever. Can you believe how lucky we all are?!

I wish everyone the best, and blessings, for 2003.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Great 1st ride of the year! [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ditto, ditto, just got back, aliitle over 2 hrs, crisp 40 something degrees, no wind, no traffic, lotsa sun, through it up in the big ring for awhile, just to get the heartrate up a bit, getting psyched for the new year, yes you are correct we , as athletes, people in motion, being active, getting busy living are all very lucky! Happy New Year to all....and GO SOONERS!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just finished with a ride with over 200 people in attendance called the First Dozen. Great crowd, with the exception of a very mean ex-girlfriend (sometimes you'll have that). Here's to New Year's and fresh starts! Now we're waiting for pizza. I actually couldn't ride since I'm still nursing this darn cold. We changed a couple flats, sold some ear warmers and helmets and watch some Ironman and Tour videos. Big fun. About 28 degrees, overcast and windy here. Happy New Year!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A cold but clear morning in Sonoma County (60 miles north of San Francisco) and a great 2 1/2 hour early morning ride. Headed up chalk hill (Vineman course) then over the hills to Calistoga in Napa County. Lots of waterfalls, bubbling creeks and redwood trees. Great start to a new year but damn, my feet got cold even with neoprene covers. It was 40 degrees when I left which is pretty cold for these parts. Saw quite a few roadie groups out on the road and several of them even said "happy new year"! Usually they just look at me funny.

Happy new year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Lawrence Kansas: we had some 50 plus riders gather for 2 hours of fast, flat single track. Burgers and beers followed. It is 33 degrees and windy here. Now for a hot shower and some quality couch time... Life is GOOD!
Quote Reply
Re: Great 1st ride of the year! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A mean ex-girlfriend Tom. Not a big deal at all. Wait until you get an ex-wife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back now from a great 5K, just over 20 minutes. Its night here already at 6:15. My time is pretty good from having ran 18 miles yesterday morning. 36 degrees,
MI weather is just great.

I had a similar spirital conection thing during my run on the 31st where I watched the sunrise over Paw Paw LK. 02 was the year of recovery for me, I'm looking at 03 to be a year of excellent, injury free rides and runs. I wish the same for the rest of you too.
Quote Reply
First Running Race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hangover Classic this morning, a 10 miler, 40 light rain and a bit of wind. My goal this year was to not get passed by the guy in a tux, smoking a stoagie. Had my best run-race in 15 years although I wonder about the recovery... hammy's are sooo tight. Last 3 miles is a flat stretch into the wind. A guy sat on my shoulder for the last two miles, it was annoying but learned to appreciate from a thread last summer this is just p/o the game. I stopped to pull up my lace locks and let him pass. I repassed shortly thereafter and he pushed me all the way home. My vision started going all black at the finish but he hung with me until I got sorted out. A great experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ended up doing a bit more than anticipated. Started off with a course in mind, no idea how long it would be. Thought somewhere between 60 - 80 miles, ended up being nearly 100 miles, along with 5000 feet total climbing. Carlsbad to Ramona and back. Last couple of miles in the dark due to a late start. Temps ranged from high 50's, to high 60's and back to the high 50's. What a way to start the New Year.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my usual Wednesday 60-minute easy run with strides. Heading up to the mountains in the morning (after a Computrainer ride) to put my two little boys through skiing lessons for the first time. THAT is a great way to start the new year.

Another bonus -- my wife completed Day 7 of a "14 Runs in 14 Days" challenge I made her on Christmans Eve. We'll be able to run together pretty soon. THAT is another great way to start the new year.

Best wishes for 2003 to all of you and yours!

Quote Reply
Re: Great 1st ride of the year! [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jules,

where are you going skiing? I am just beginning to explore the SoCal ski scene. So far I've only been to Mtn. High. Any recommendations would be welcome. E-mail be back channel if you would prefer.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
First great ride, first a**hole in a car [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
San Diego coast, just a quick jaunt to take in the sun and scenery. Love it.

At one point, I had to swerve out of the bike lane to pass a couple of slower riders while I was doing about 25 down a shallow hill (auto traffic was also doing 25 due to our approaching a bottleneck, so I didn't cut off any cars.) Even though I didn't come within 20 feet of him, some dick in a Benz who was behind me laid on the horn to vent his displeasure with my being in "his" lane. Jerk.

Oh well. Happy new year to all, and here's to a fun and safe '03.

Quote | Reply
Slept in way too late so got a late start on my ride. It gets dark so early here now I have to start a ride or run much earlier than usual if I want to get back before dark.

Did a typical Wednesday ride for me. About 45 km. and nothing special, except I almost got killed twice coming down the rather long descent back into my town. The first time the car coming at me in my lane either couldn't see me or didn't care, and I was extremely lucky to have a gravel shoulder to duck onto; the rest of the descent has no shoulder - just a drainage channel and a retaining wall.

The second close call wasn't as scary until I realized that the car that swung out in the other direction to pass also didn't see me. Had I been a second or two slower he would have pulled directly into my path.

I guess I'll be riding the CompuTrainer for the rest of the winter whenever I get started after 3:30 p.m.

Instead of workouts I'm counting the number of cups of coffee I'm drinking in the new year. Two so far, with one brewing...

-David in Taipei
Quote Reply