Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Got tested at Kona rego today [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello owbac86 and All,

"On the blood quantity, I believe the vial size was 4mL, and the tester filled (2) of the vials approximately 75% full."

Sounds like about 6ml total draw .... with rough estimate of total body blood at 5 liters (7% of body weight is closer) looks like only a loss of 0.12% of your blood and that probably would have no measurable effect on your performance.

I was thinking about when cheaper 1 drop testing is available with results in 5 minutes ..... many more athletes could be tested much quicker and conveniently.

The one drop testing with results in 5 minutes would be great.

The company that has been contracted by WTC for the testing, Clearidium, is out of Denmark and has branch/sister company in Colorado.

I assume the samples were overnighted to Fort Collins for testing after collection on Tuesday morning.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Got tested at Kona rego today [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello owtbac86 and All,

Thanks for the info;

Here is a video from Clearidium regarding the current collection process:

https://vimeo.com/148980128

https://www.facebook.com/Clearidium/

and looking at 'one drop' testing in the not too distant future:

https://motherboard.vice.com/...on-one-drop-of-blood

Patterson said that, currently, each sensor costs the company about $10 to manufacture, and that at scale, that cost could drop to pennies. He added that the big obstacle isn't manufacturing, but showing that the sensors can produce accurate enough results to be reliably used in medical applications. [emphasis added]

"The challenge with a lot of these sensors is not always sensitivity, because there are a lot of things out there that are very sensitive," he said. "It's the selectivity, making sure we don't get a false positive."

"But while medical diagnostics are an immediate, obvious use of the tech—and seriously, who wouldn't want to test themselves for a couple dozen medical issues in minutes?—the sensors also have potential for use as environmental monitors. By attaching custom-built DNA strands to their sensors, Patterson said the company can scan for a variety of volatile organic compounds."

"In the promo video above, for example, the company suggests its sensors could ​mimic the noses of drug- and bomb-sniffing dogs, monitoring for contraband in a persistent, ambient fashion. Imagine filling an airport with low-powered sensors that automatically sound the alert when cocaine molecules float by. The TSA would buy them in a heartbeat."

https://cen.acs.org/...ests-fingertips.html

'One drop' collection problems and possible solutions (besides leeches, ticks, mosquitoes, fleas, bedbugs, and the the like.)

"Meanwhile Howard J. Weisman, CEO of Seventh Sense Biosystems, hopes to sidestep finger sticks entirely with a new method for removing blood from capillaries. The company’s golf-ball-sized Tap device pricks the skin, usually on the upper arm, with an array of microneedles and then vacuums out the equivalent of two drops of blood through the resulting micropunctures. “People say it feels like someone tugging,” Weisman says. No bandage is required, because the pores are so small, although pinprick marks do show up a bit later."

“What we end up with is a very high-quality capillary sample,” of the same quality as venous blood, Weisman says. Because it pulls the blood out from capillaries just under the skin, he says, there is less tissue damage and no milking of interstitial fluid. The company expects FDA approval soon and plans to commercialize the devices in 2017. The company is talking with instrument-development companies to possibly combine its Tap collection method with small-volume analytical devices, many of which are coming to market able to do multiple assays on just one to two drops of whole blood, Weisman says.

“The idea of testing in a pharmacy is not going away. That’s an area, we think, that is ready for significant growth.” [emphasis added]

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Last edited by: nealhe: Oct 13, 17 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Must have mistook me for a fast guy :)

Drew blood....

I'm curious who drew your blood? I mean, did you have any reason to believe in their credentials or expertise? I can't imagine myself letting a random guy in an 'official' looking polo shirt stick a syringe in my arm.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Got tested at Kona rego today [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
owtbac86 wrote:

Drew blood....

I'm curious who drew your blood? I mean, did you have any reason to believe in their credentials or expertise? I can't imagine myself letting a random guy in an 'official' looking polo shirt stick a syringe in my arm.

They take folks from the volunteer pool. 1 minute you may be working the registration desk the next you'll be taking blood samples.
Quote Reply
Re: Got tested at Kona rego today [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
owtbac86 wrote:

Drew blood....

Good question.

I did ask the fellow prior to the test what his qualifications are/were.

He's an EMT and also a certified phlebotomist, so that worked for me. He mentioned that some of the other testers were also RNs.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Got tested at Kona rego today [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One drop is cool, but you would need more than one drop because of protocol to re-test if it comes up positive.
Quote Reply
Re: Got tested at Kona rego today [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello chaparral and All,

Good point .... A and B sample needed ..... make it two 1/2 drops on the draw.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what about Moats and his lady friend ?
they need thier samples
Quote Reply

Prev Next