Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good deal on a 2009 Trek Madone 6.9??
Quote | Reply
Hey Guys,

So I came across a 2009 Trek Madone 6.9 with SRAM Red parts, said it only has about 2000 miles on it. Said it was always stored inside, been serviced at a Trek store but it's been awhile since it's last full service. He said he kept it oiled and everything so had no issues. He rode it in a street race this summer and just around town a couple times since then, otherwise it has been sitting inside. He said he didn't know exact size (sounds like his dad bought the bike and gave it to him) but said his dad is 6'0" and it fits him and I am also 6'0". I would obviously go and make sure it fit before committing to buy it. He is also throwing in a Giro Aeon helmet. He said the lowest he would take is $1200, but he has kept going down on the price when I was just asking him questions about the bike and saying I wasn't sure if I had that much cash at this point. What are your guys thoughts on it? I looked up the Blue Book value on it and in "fair" condition it values it at $2424. He has it listed as "excellent" but I'm sure it's not quite perfect, but seems pretty close. Let me know what you think! Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal on a 2009 Trek Madone 6.9?? [Hmk1115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I buy and sell some bikes and parts, and I think 1200 is pretty reasonable. You could probably get 500-600 on eBay out of the Red drivetrain and brakes alone, if it's in good shape.

That being said, this is the time of year where people will come down in price. If you live in a colder climate, their bike isn't going to sell until at least March, so if you offer him $900-$1000 cash right now, it might work.

Also, I worked at a Trek store back in college...I think those Madones fit pretty small, you'll likely need a 58cm if you're 6 feet tall.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal on a 2009 Trek Madone 6.9?? [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good! my thought was to make a similar offer to that because I am in Ohio... and there is snow on the ground... I was going to try and take it out for a quick spin on a road that has been cleared to see about how the fit feels. He did say his dad was the same height as me and he used it... but I will definitely take a closer look at the size! Thanks for the input! I was definitely thinking that I could make my money back (or more) if I ended up not keeping it for myself! here are some more pics he sent me last night too

Last edited by: Hmk1115: Jan 27, 15 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal on a 2009 Trek Madone 6.9?? [Hmk1115] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That thing is dirty! It looks like someone took it out for a rain ride then just parked it (and from your description, it sounds like that last ride might have been in 2010 . . . . ). If you are going to buy it, give it a thorough going over. It does not appear to have been well cared for but, if it has not been ridden much, that is not necessarily a deal breaker.

If the guy does not care enough to wipe it down, much less do a really cleaning, before he takes pictures he obviously just wants it out of the way. Negotiate hard. $1200 is a good price but not so good that you are going to get rich parting it out. But, if you want a road bike, this is a good deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal on a 2009 Trek Madone 6.9?? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're telling me! Right after he sent me the pics I asked him about that... asking if it was all dirt/mud or if there were any cracks, chips, etc... I am definitely going to go lower on the price... the plan is initially to keep it (upgrading from a Specialized Allez, which I really like, just if I am able to go to full carbon for a good deal, I am interested), but if I end up not liking it as much as my current bike, then I would sell it to make my money back in the worst case
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal on a 2009 Trek Madone 6.9?? [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2...in addition to carefully inspecting bikes before I buy them, I pull the stem off and let the steerer tube at least partially drop out of the frame. I want to make sure there isn't any damage down near the top of the fork, and also check for signs that the steerer tube has been overtightened.

If you aren't comfortable doing this, you will need to bring along a friend who can, or look at brand new bikes.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: Good deal on a 2009 Trek Madone 6.9?? [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That makes sense... I will definitely do that too! I may also bring a friend with me... can't hurt to have an extra set of eyes on it!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Hmk1115 [ In reply to ]