Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good bike pedals?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to replace my cycling pedals and want something good. Something that's going to last.

On the scale of 1-10 looking for an 8 or 9.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike pedals? [finsfree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought another pair of Shimano 105 PD-5800. Can't go wrong for carbon body sub 300G and comes with 6 degree float cleat (3 degrees) each way. Only downside they don't take a pedal wrench and you need an allen wrench to get off.

For $70 you won't find a better pedal/deal.

Shimano comes with a two year warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In love with my Keywin CRM pedals. The float is in the spindle to pedal interface; the cleat stays locked to the pedal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty hard to beat Shimano 105 IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speedplay Zeros

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a big fan of speedplay for a variety of reasons durability is one of them. I have over 3K on one set on my road bike and 2K on another set on my tri bike and they are going strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for 105.

This was my reply in another thread:

"I have 105 and Dura Ace pedals. If buying a new set, I would get 105s. If I had extra money and my bike was black, I would buy Ultegra. If I found an extra $100 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and take my wife to a nice dinner. If I found $1000 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and take my wife on a trip.
If I found $5,000,000 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and a house with enough space to store my bikes. "

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schwinn egg beaters.

Seriously. What kind of pedals? Speedplay, Look, Shimano? MTB? Tri? Road? Beach cruiser?
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike pedals? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Another vote for 105.

This was my reply in another thread:

"I have 105 and Dura Ace pedals. If buying a new set, I would get 105s. If I had extra money and my bike was black, I would buy Ultegra. If I found an extra $100 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and take my wife to a nice dinner. If I found $1000 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and take my wife on a trip.
If I found $5,000,000 in the street, I would buy Ultegra and a house with enough space to store my bikes. "

No good reason to upgrade beyond 105 for sure. I have ultegra on my race bike, but it seems like a useless upgrade....better as you said to take wife to dinner
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike pedals? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that 105 pedals come in black, there is zero reason to go Ultegra.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I cannot believe no one has suggested the best pedal system known to man: Look Keo

In my experience, you will get tired of looking at them before they wear out. They last forever and are no-fuss.
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike pedals? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not impressed with the 105's that's why I want to change.

The reason is they're making a clicking noise and I've even taken them apart and put new grease in them and they're still making noises. It didn't happen right away after greasing them but the clicking came back.

I have the 105 carbon fiber. Maybe a bad set?
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike pedals? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBK had 6800 on sale for $85 not that long ago.
Last edited by: uva0224: Jul 1, 15 13:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can wiggle the pedal with my hand and there is a very slight movement in the pedal.
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike pedals? [uva0224] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uva0224 wrote:
PBK had 6800 on sale for $85 not that long ago.

PBK?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probikekit.com it was 86.xx after coupon back in May.
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike pedals? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
I cannot believe no one has suggested the best pedal system known to man: Look Keo

In my experience, you will get tired of looking at them before they wear out. They last forever and are no-fuss.

Yep, I have Look Keos that have over 50k miles, haven't been touched mechanically, and still spin perfectly. I think you need to crash to destroy them.
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike pedals? [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Yep, I have Look Keos that have over 50k miles, haven't been touched mechanically, and still spin perfectly. I think you need to crash to destroy them.

Yeah, but Look Keo what? There's a bunch to choose from http://www.lookcycle.com/...s/route/pedales.html

All there models are Look Keo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
finsfree wrote:
v0coder wrote:
nickwhite wrote:

Yeah, but Look Keo what? There's a bunch to choose from http://www.lookcycle.com/...s/route/pedales.html

All there models are Look Keo.

Any of them. I've used the Keo Easy, Classic, and Carbon. All excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: Good bike pedals? [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope crashed last year with a set of Look Keo Blade II and thought for sure I was going to need new ones. All that happened was the little metal plate was bent up a bit, and I just bent it back down. I haven't had any issues with these pedals, and I have had them for about 2 years now. My girlfriend uses them as well with no issues. I like the way I feel locked in with the 16nm resistance and my girlfriend prefers the 12nm. I had a pair of the first gen Keo blades as well, but I sold them when I sold my old bike. I've also got a pair of old Keo Classics on my commuter that have now been on 3 different bikes and besides some cosmetic scratches are still working great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are after durability as a primary driver.. and have no specific fit requirements; (longer / shorter axles, requirement to position cleat farther back on the shoe than standard, requirement to control release / float point individually etc etc) then Shimano SPD SL (any model whichever fits you budget) will be the best.

You will still need to whip the axles out and put some grease inside to purge out the old once or twice a year (depending how much wet weather they see...) if you do expect the pedal body to wear out before the axles cause bother.. 5-10 years not uncommon...

If you need the above mentioned adjust ability the Speedplay Crom-mo (black axle) is the best... but will require more maintenance (of the cleat mainly) and the bodies wear faster (perhaps half the life of the Shimano...

All other brands juggle prioritizing reduced mass / adjust ability to varying degree's... the correct product really depends on your individual needs and priorities..

All the best.
Quote Reply