Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good article....GREAT perspective...
Quote | Reply
http://www.ameliabooneracing.com/...egorized/race-happy/

"Now, I’m not going to bullshit you and pretend that I don’t care about results. Of course I do – any competitive athlete would be lying through their teeth if they said otherwise. But what I’ve realized from these past few years is that results feel hollow if there’s no joy in the racing, if you are racing out of expectation. Podiums are meaningless if you spend the weeks leading up to a race an absolute miserable human being (which isn’t fair to myself or anyone else in my life). There will come a day when I’m no longer able to race, and if I destroy everything else in my life in the meantime to be singularly fixated on that goal, then what will I have left?"
Quote Reply
Re: Good article....GREAT perspective... [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good stuff.

I struggle with obsessing about races too much for sure. As a result I don't race that much.

But I can't decide if I have it right or wrong. I know I love training and having a schedule. I love doing well at races, and I definitely have fun once they start. But should I race more just for the fun of it? Even if I don't do as well as I expect? I dunno.
Quote Reply
Re: Good article....GREAT perspective... [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Good stuff.

I struggle with obsessing about races too much for sure. As a result I don't race that much.

But I can't decide if I have it right or wrong. I know I love training and having a schedule. I love doing well at races, and I definitely have fun once they start. But should I race more just for the fun of it? Even if I don't do as well as I expect? I dunno.

I'm totally with you. For all my competitive years through multiple sports I get too wrapped up. I have to remind myself of some of the points she brought up. The last 3 years or so I do an entire sprint/oly series locally that are low key and I train through them. It sure has helped to find a good balance and perspective. This past saturday I did a sprint race while training for ironman most of the week, somewhat as an experiment, but also because this one didn't matter in the big picture. Felt flat, but placed fine and enjoyed the process. Loving the racing is what matters and as I am now on the down side of my best times, so the ego hurts, but the love of the sport and competing is still the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good article. Oh, btw, you've got to quit passing me late in the bike ride in Pardeeville. I think my 61 year old self is doing ok and then you come flying by. Congrats on a fine race Saturday!
Quote Reply
Re: Good article....GREAT perspective... [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark M wrote:
Good article. Oh, btw, you've got to quit passing me late in the bike ride in Pardeeville. I think my 61 year old self is doing ok and then you come flying by. Congrats on a fine race Saturday!

Hey Mark, thanks! I just wish these old legs still had a decent run. Sounds like you did really well too? I would have liked to chat afterwards......let me know if you're doing any of the other series races. Frankly one of the main reasons I do that race is for the awesome cheeseburgers at the Caddyshack!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been racing for 30 years so now I pick places and people that are beautiful and inspiring courses and fun to be with...slowing down lets me look around and I love cheering for everyone along the way now- not self focused at all anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Good article....GREAT perspective... [wildhorse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wildhorse wrote:
I've been racing for 30 years so now I pick places and people that are beautiful and inspiring courses and fun to be with...slowing down lets me look around and I love cheering for everyone along the way now- not self focused at all anymore.

Good attitude. Although a lot slower than in past days, I still love the AG competition. I sure wish more older folks would join in the fun, as entries are so low......kind off sad when the athletes are so great to be around.
Quote Reply