Login required to post replies

Good News For Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

Tribike Sales .... from Bicycle Retailer And Industry News .... Excerpts:

2015 $10,288,985

2016 $11,124,672 +8% Good news!

And Road Bike Men's Sport 2015 $63,730,075

................................................2016 $48,002,870 -25% Ouch!

Also:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...ference#.WEXrIfkrJEY

Lance & Dan will be at the conference ... should be interesting.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Good News For Triathlon [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

nealhe wrote:
Hello All,

Tribike Sales .... from Bicycle Retailer And Industry News .... Excerpts:

2015 $10,288,985

2016 $11,124,672 +8% Good news!

And Road Bike Men's Sport 2015 $63,730,075

................................................2016 $48,002,870 -25% Ouch!

Also:

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...ference#.WEXrIfkrJEY

Lance & Dan will be at the conference ... should be interesting.

The entire bike road bike industry is only 48mil?? Are we missing some zeros here?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Good News For Triathlon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Thomas Gerlach and All,

From BRAIN ....

That is just one category .... there are many categories ... ie. electric bikes, Commuter/town, 27.5" front suspension, 27.5" full suspension, Tribikes (ranked top five sales categories through Sep (in dollars).

Some of the other categories include Road, men's sport, women's sport, comfort, etc. among sales losers ....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entire bike road bike industry is only 48mil??

Don't know how they break all this out and what where the lines of the categories are, but yes - if they are just looking at the road bike sales, that seems to be about right.

Everyone thinks cycling is "Booming" in North America. Because, of my extensive work in the race/events business now as a Race/Event Announcer, I am regularly queried by businesses & groups who want to get involved in organizing some kind of ride - usually for charity, and these folks from outside the business, that's the first thing they say to me - "Cycling is booming and we thought we would get into it". I then kind of let the air out of their sales and tell them - it's not booming. It's actually flat or down, and that it's a tough time to get a new event off the ground!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Good News For Triathlon [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't the cost of higher prices super bikes offset that number? Did thy categorize it based upon individual bike sales, or the tri bike market as a whole?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think there is this disconnect? I've been watching less and less participants in junior races across the board here: road, cross, MTB. Youth tri, however, has been growing, thanks in small part to the pending NCAA status, I think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what I don't get is if the entire Tri industry is say 11 million and the ~bike costs say $3,000. That is only 3,666 Tri bikes sold per year. I really don't understand how any bike company can afford to pay any triathlete even a small salary of say 25K???

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
So what I don't get is if the entire Tri industry is say 11 million and the ~bike costs say $3,000. That is only 3,666 Tri bikes sold per year. I really don't understand how any bike company can afford to pay any triathlete even a small salary of say 25K???

I think you are grossly overestimating the amount of $$ the -average- (especially new) triathlete spends on a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Good News For Triathlon [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I think you are grossly overestimating the amount of $$ the -average- (especially new) triathlete spends on a bike.

What is the average bike out the door. Can you really find a bike for much less than say $1700, then add in the bikes that are $12,000. I thought average of $3,000 might be ok but maybe not. Regardless if they are really only cheap cheap bikes, then again how does any pro athlete have a contract.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I'm having a hard time believing this figure is correct. Let's say there are 150 tri retailers (assume has to be more, just based on ST Road Show... that's only 3 per state average). $11million in Tri-bikes is only $73K per store. Let's say average of $2500 a bike. That's 30 bikes for whole year. Let's say average of $3500 a bike. That's 21 bikes for a year on average.
Last edited by: Dan Funk: Dec 5, 16 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: Good News For Triathlon [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Dan Funk and All,

Aside from tri bikes the aggregate of bike sales is much larger ...

............ and most bikes are imported from China.

However giving pause to price stability ....

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...overage#.WEYov1zW9MQ

Excerpt:

"Trump has pledged to hit Chinese imports with a 45 percent tariff and label the country as a currency manipulator," Sani and Wiebe note. Such a tariff would have huge implications for the global bike industry, but the authors note that Trump's plans are more easily said than done.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/...-20161205-story.html

Excerpt:

"I think there's other ways to achieve what the president-elect is talking about," House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy told reporters Monday, arguing that changing the tax code is the way to entice companies to create jobs and keep them in the U.S.

"I don't want to get into some type of trade war," McCarthy said.

In a series of tweets Sunday, Trump warned that "any business that leaves our country for another country, fires its employees, builds a new factory or plant in the other country, and then thinks it will sell its product back into the U.S., without retribution or consequence, is WRONG!"

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply