Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Good/Great Bike Mechanics in Toronto
Quote | Reply
Hoping somebody can help me out with this conundrum. I've been going to the same LBS for over a year now and in that time there have been 3-4 different mechanics. Most have left and to me that's a red flag as per how the shop is operating behind closed doors. I love the owners but the inability to keep a mechanic who knows the service history of my bikes is getting a bit of a pain. I'm having to rebuild my relationship each time a new mechanic starts and honestly it's tough to trust each knows their shit to the same level. I get it, I'm just a FOP age grouper but I want to ensure the $ I spend on my wrenching is not wasted.

Does anybody know of a really excellent, thorough, meticulous mechanic in the city who is able to work on Superbikes?

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Re: Good/Great Bike Mechanics in Toronto [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just tried Velofix for the first time last week. I recommend it.

They did a deep clean on my 2014 P2 (removed drivetrain and cleaned + lubed), tuned the gears, recabled my brakes (TriRig Omega, rear brake routes into top tube, not on side like standard). They were really cool and enthusiastic and didn't talk down to me like so many bike shop mechanics do. The whole concept is great too - they parked outside my place, I dropped off my bike and a couple of hours later they called to say they were done. In the meantime, I went for a run, picked up groceries and started a movie with my girlfriend. I don't have a car, so going to a shop is a bit of a pain.

If you want to go to a shop, Sweet Pete's on Bloor W is good. They sell primarily Trek and work with a lot of triathletes, so know their way around a superbike. CyclePath at Yonge/Eg is also good. They deal mostly with the average commuter but I've brought my tri bikes in there before and they know what they're doing, plus they have the most affordable service fee of all shops in the city (that I've seen).

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Good/Great Bike Mechanics in Toronto [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool I'll try them out ... I've got an appointment for Friday evening. Here's hoping they are as detailed as the reviews suggest!

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully!

It may also depend where in the city you are, as they have different people/trucks servicing different areas. My guy was Sid who services more downtown and Michael, who tagged along and just got his truck two days after to set up in Forest Hill/Yonge Eg/Leaside.

Group Eleven – Websites for Athletes / mikael.racing / @mstaer
Quote Reply
Re: Good/Great Bike Mechanics in Toronto [Staer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sid is the mechanic I lost @ my bike shop!! YES!!!! He's an excellent guy and he was the best of those I was able to work with in the past. I'm pumped now!

------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick with Velofix (I think he runs the North Toronto van) is outstanding. His work and service orientation - albeit on two straightforward bikes, not superbikes - have been exceptional, in my experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another plug for VeloFix - http://www.velofix.com/

Save time. Ride more!

What's not to like a fully mobile professional bike shop comes right to your door!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply