Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gomez interview - Kona 2018
Quote | Reply
A Spanish newspaper has an interview with Javier Gomez and he just confirmed he will attempt Kona in 2018, and talked a bit about how he wants to approach the challenge:
https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/..._201712G27P42991.htm

Below you can find the interview translated to English (it is an automatic translation, so don't expect perfect English, but it should be readable).

Q- Like Nadal and Federer, you stand as an old rocker another year at the summit.
A- I was really looking forward to this year after missing the Rio Games because of a complicated injury to my elbow. The results were very good in Olympic distance and medium distance and now I decide to focus on the long distance. Although it's not usually easy to get back to the Olympics because of the kind of training you do, I don't rule it out either.
Q- What image do you rescue from 2017?
A- The last 500 meters of the World Cup in Chattanooga... To go down the last hill, to know that I was winning... It fulfilled my great goal. And I'm left with the opening of the Olympic World Championships in Abu Dhabi because it was difficult to return winning. It left me calmer for the rest of the year.
Q-As he is used to chaining medal after medal, I don't know if at some point he had to explain himself, as if the general public didn't perceive his great campaign.
A- Since there were some ups and downs, some people ask you if this year didn't go so well,"in the end Mario Mola beat you. But I was runners-up there and that's not a bad thing, even though I focused on the middle distance and won that World Cup. Some people still ask me if I have recovered well from the injury (laughs). It's normal for some people to follow your sport more than others.
Q- David Cal in some messages was "comforted" by his two silver medals in Beijing.
A- Yeah, you almost got condolences for an Olympic silver.
Q- In the face of the ironman, do you draw lessons from your mid-distance tests?
A- It's very different. In ironman nutrition and hydration in racing in an extreme climate like Hawaii's will be key to, apart from the rhythms, bike watts... I'm able to cope with that, train and do it well, but racing nutrition is something new to me. And it's gonna be key.
Q- He sees the middle distance more like the Olympian than the ironman.
A- I won my first half ironman world championship by taking only two gels in the whole race. I arrived just right, but they are races of three hours and 40, more assumable, and by the rhythms it goes fast. If you're going eight hours, it's not like it's twice the distance, it looks a lot longer.
Q- For the first time he faces something radically different.
A- It's exciting to face a different challenge, a kind of race where I don't know if I'm going to do it right. The comfortable and conservative thing would have been to stay the same, but I don't want to be left in doubt about what I would have done over long distance.
Q- Of the three sectors, by time and distance, cycling is the main challenge.
A- Yes, it's where I have to improve the most, in the form of training, in many things. We'll see how far I go. But if I want to win an ironman level, I have to win it in the marathon. Other big guys would win it on the bike, but I have to do it running, be good enough on the bike and swim, to get there on foot with options. That's the kind of race I'm going to train for.
Q- He barely names swimming, his DNA since he was a child.
A- It's more anecdotal and in my case I think I'll be able to suppress some training a week to pass it to the bike and the race. The way to train will be very different. In an ironman you run slow. With paces of 3.40 min/km you're going to make the best time in the marathon, but it's about doing it after five hours of effort, feeding while competing. There I have to try to improve, work long sessions at a slower pace than now.
Q- The ironman requires adaptation. But you know the demand will be high from day one.
A- I have no doubt that people will ask me to win Hawaii the first time, but it's something no one else has done (laughs). All Hawaii winners before winning that race have a baggage. with important victories and podiums, and I in the best case will arrive with an ironman behind my back. The challenge is more complicated than many people think. The ironman is very unknown, but that gives me an extra incentive.
Q- The vertigo is there.
A- Yeah. Yeah. A feeling of restlessness about not knowing what you are facing or how you will respond. I will be happy to do so regardless of the outcome. If it goes wrong, I will know that the distance is not for me, and if it goes well I will expand my capacity range to longer distances.
Q- The ideal would be debut between June and July
A- Almost as important as Kona's ironman, October 13, will be his qualifying test: The ideal would be between June and early July. There's Nice and Frankfurt, there's Cairns (Australia), which could be interesting for Hawaii due to the weather.....
Q- In 2016 he competed for almost 11 months. It's going to be weird running less, except for running tests.
A- I'll move less to train in one place, but I won't have a quiet season until Hawaii. I'll do several 70.3 in preparation, including that World Cup, and a lot of practice, maybe some Olympic distance.
Q- He keeps his usual team, with Carlos David Prieto as coach.
A- Carlos will follow. And the triathlete Óscar Vicente, who is a physiotherapist and will help me in recovery, strengthening and training, will be with me.
Q- It's been a year and a half since his elbow fracture.
A- Luisa[Domínguez, the traumatologist,] operated on me, did a great job and made it clear to me, but it was a complicated process. In three or four weeks your elbow is more or less fine, but to live a normal life or work in an office. If you demand the elbow every day on the bike, in water and even running... it takes longer and you have to do a very good rehabilitation to gain all the mobility and strength. I had trouble for quite some time.
Q- Apart from victories, what was the emotional moment of 2017?
A- (think) That's when, after the operation, I started swimming at the rhythms of before. Swimming the left arm had always been the dominant one, and I noticed without so much strength, it was difficult for me to stretch it and grab the water as I did. And it took me a while to find the good feelings. Then, when I did the time before the operation, it gave me peace of mind. And winning the 70.3 in Dubai in January on a circuit that was unfavorable for me, almost the most difficult, was a very nice moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [carlosvl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good find.
Debuting between June and July 😲...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit of a tough read but still interesting. Especially liked the part about 3:40 pace being slow haha

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, that stuck out at me too! it's not necessarily a popular opinion here but the best ITU guys really are on a different level...

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah for sure, or at least the real runners. There is a world of difference between sub 30 guys (most guys on ITU circuit) and sub 29 guys (Gomez/Brownlee).
Frodeno for example was a sub 30 runner, and he is of course a great runner in IM as well. Though I believe Gomez will be on another level and would not be surprised if he breaks 2:40 in his first race. Can actually see him hitting half at 1:15 or something stupid like that!

Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [ErickBar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ErickBar wrote:
Good find.
Debuting between June and July 😲...

Frankfurt would be epic with Lange and Frodeno!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No one has won on first attempt ? I thought luc van lierde and Chrissy Wellington did ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome translation job Carlos. One bit of feedback, in the spanish version I think he is meaning usted rather than el, so in the English version I think it should be more like:

"You see the middle distance more like the Olympian than the ironman. "

rather than:

He sees the middle distance more like the Olympian than the ironman.

Hope you don't mind the feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
A bit of a tough read but still interesting. Especially liked the part about 3:40 pace being slow haha

Which is 2:35...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me that is exactly why he WONT break 2:40 right off the bat. You don’t go out at 1:15 half, that’s just stupid...especially in Kona. No one does that and survives, and I think he realizes that when he talks about pacing and nutrition and the double the distance for race strategy etc.

Besides he doesnt need to come in and take over and set crazy times to showcase how special these new itu guys are likely to do for IM racing. Just come in and show up and he’ll do his thing, he doesn’t need to race stupid suicide paces to accomplish that.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [dado0583] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dado0583 wrote:
Awesome translation job Carlos. One bit of feedback, in the spanish version I think he is meaning usted rather than el, so in the English version I think it should be more like:

"You see the middle distance more like the Olympian than the ironman. "

rather than:

He sees the middle distance more like the Olympian than the ironman.

Hope you don't mind the feedback

Hey thanks, you are right. But I didn't translate the text myself, just copied the original text into a translator (https://www.deepl.com), that's why the resulting English text can be a bit confusing in some parts.
However, if there is some part you don't understand just let me know and I will translate it myself.
Last edited by: carlosvl: Dec 28, 17 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice little bit of shade thrown at AB over ditching the full distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may be right, but several of the ITU guys have said that we should be seeing faster run times than we are today in IM. 1:15 in Kona would likely be a huge blowup, and he is hopefully smart enough to understand that even though it would be epic to watch.

"Besides he doesnt need to come in and take over and set crazy times to showcase how special these new itu guys are likely to do for IM racing. Just come in and show up and he’ll do his thing, he doesn’t need to race stupid suicide paces to accomplish that. "
Def agree on this

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:

After the race he wrecked then won at in Sydney in 2011. He said something to the effect of yeah I had to run 4:40/ mile pace to catch the lead runners then I was able to recover for a bit at 4:55/mile. Yeah recover at sub 5/mile haha.

I don’t remember the exact numbers but he ran a 30:09 so somewhere around there. These guys are stupid fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice, thanks for posting!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have him down as favourite to win Kona if he turns up fit, his talent alone will probably mean he won't need the year it took Frodo to bed in to the distance.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a huge Gomez fan but I think he will lose too much time on the bike and get off tired. I think this will be a very exciting KONA though with Frodo, Lange, Kienle, Sanders, Gomez and other beasts going for broke.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I am a huge Gomez fan but I think he will lose too much time on the bike and get off tired. I think this will be a very exciting KONA though with Frodo, Lange, Kienle, Sanders, Gomez and other beasts going for broke.

How does Gomez bike compare with them lot? I know his swim is better, Gomez isn't exactly weak on the Bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he will come out in the 2nd swim pack but he will fall back in the slower bike packs. The big names go for broke on the bike and have a lot more KONA experience. I just don't think he can hang with the front bike packs and they run strong. I just don't think Gomez will come in and podium. But....like I said it will be interesting to watch. If he gets the right coach he may be able to stay in contact with the front bike packs and run to a top 10 finish. If for some crazy reason he did win I would be pretty excited. I am pulling for Sanders though.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:

I think that's about a 5:53 min/mile. Yikes.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
I think he will come out in the 2nd swim pack but he will fall back in the slower bike packs. The big names go for broke on the bike and have a lot more KONA experience. I just don't think he can hang with the front bike packs and they run strong. I just don't think Gomez will come in and podium. But....like I said it will be interesting to watch. If he gets the right coach he may be able to stay in contact with the front bike packs and run to a top 10 finish. If for some crazy reason he did win I would be pretty excited. I am pulling for Sanders though.

Gomez is a front pack swimmer and most definatly come out in the first few on the swim, the only thing i'd agree with out of all that is the uber bikers having more Kona experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the read. He is a class act.

What jumps out at me is only 2 gels for a 1/2 and that's just right for him? Must be nice to get a half done before you get hungry. What an athlete.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2017 on a hilly course, kienle put 5 min into him in a 70.3 bike. On a flat course, Terenzo Bozzone put 8' into him on a 70.3 bike.

Certainly no worse than Lange on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He doesn't need to be a "uber" biker nor even go with the uber bikers. The uber bikers need to be uber bikers because they usually can't run. So he just needs to be in the group that can ride to Kona together (Lange did that).....his run will be there.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez interview - Kona 2018 [Impulse-Warp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No shade thrown by me. You can hope/think/expect to race IM's like you do currently in ITU and you'll simply have a very short career (you'll run yourself into a DNF every time). So I'm guessing AB's biggest issue is going to be "boredom" or lack of constant attacks/redlines that he currently seems to always do in itu. That's why I kinda laugh at the thoughts of taking out halfs at 1:15 in Kona when it makes zero sense to even suggest the such, I dont care what kind of runners these guys are at ITU/10k level. Unless you truly think you can run 2:32-2:33, but if your trying to run a strong consistent sub 2:40 (that will win any race you ever want to race basically), you do that by running 1:18:45-1:19, not 1:15 and "hold on".....Look at how hard Sanders fell off and he's reasonable good runner from his 1st 10k to the last 10k in Kona, and his splits were "pedestrian" compared to the paces that AB/Gomez *can* run.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next