Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment
Quote | Reply
According to this video he will be riding a 90s bike and budgie smugglers. Have to give props to him for trying.

https://twitter.com/...s/525022353017671680
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Every time I talk about pricey tri bike stuff my friend always says a stud biker could win a tri on an old Schwinn. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Gomez doesn't win that bike split or I'll never hear the end of it.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [PUTU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the video I saw said that they'd estimate that he'd lose about 1:40 on
the bike based on the wind tunnel tests they had.

He'll still win.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Last edited by: pattersonpaul: Oct 23, 14 14:39
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A minute of that 1:40 is probably due to the bars.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Mark Coates refers to 'bungee smugglers'.

Does he know something we don't about Gomez?

Plus, the Spaniel looks like he needs a forward post on that steel bike - very stretched out compared to his Shiv fit, to my extremely untrained eye.

Cool experiment nonetheless. GripShifts are the best aeroshifters.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubt many high level guys will be racing, Dye could catch him on the bike but does not have what it takes on the run
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an 8-speed set in a box somewhere. As I recall correctly, they fit on my Scott clip-ons but would not fit once I switched to Syntace bars.
Ah, the 90's.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WOW! now that we must follow! as much as we love ( the ones who can afford it) Di2 , zipp etc, this might actually be better for us consumers? Might bring some sense to some people and make the industry prices go down. Hey look, that guy won on a piece of crap bike! why not just buy a p2 instead of a p5 ! Industries will have less sale in the higher end market thus intern make products more accessible at a lower cost. I'm just hoping lol 2 broke for a tt bike lol

Jonathan, fellow triathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [JODIRT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JODIRT wrote:
WOW! now that we must follow! as much as we love ( the ones who can afford it) Di2 , zipp etc, this might actually be better for us consumers? Might bring some sense to some people and make the industry prices go down.

Do I think industry prices will go down because Gomez [in his C race] tears up a course on a (pro fit, tunnel tested) retrofitted, old bike? No, almost certainly not. I also don't envision people in droves lining up to sell their Shivs because any old $200 craigslist bike will do. : )

-------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm out here for the race. My girlfriend was already excited when we learned he was racing. Now that he's wearing a speedo, she's probably not even going to remember that I'm racing

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
73 seconds slower over 40k. Now I wonder what the difference would have been using the same suit and helmet and throwing on a 100k bar.

Quote | Reply
Runorama wrote:
73 seconds slower over 40k. Now I wonder what the difference would have been using the same suit and helmet and throwing on a 100k bar.

The wheels are quite competitive even by today's standards.

The helmet is probably no too bad (reasonably well shaped and no too many vents).

The Scott DH bar and round tubed frame are probably most of the loss (the on-frame bottle placement doesn't help either).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Barchettaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Barchettaman wrote:
I'm sure Mark Coates refers to 'bungee smugglers'.

Does he know something we don't about Gomez?

Plus, the Spaniel looks like he needs a forward post on that steel bike - very stretched out compared to his Shiv fit, to my extremely untrained eye.

Cool experiment nonetheless. GripShifts are the best aeroshifters.

Definitely "bungie"! The Gomez legend grows...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The correct term is "budgie", not "bungie / bungee".

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

PUTU wrote:
According to this video he will be riding a 90s bike and budgie smugglers. Have to give props to him for trying.

https://twitter.com/...s/525022353017671680

I have said many times here that the double trispoke wheels are still the fastest! Go Gomez!!
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

Right, but the joke is that in the video Mark Cote says....never mind. The moment passed.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
I have said many times here that the double trispoke wheels are still the fastest! Go Gomez!!

I think you need to be a very fast cyclist (a la Wiggo) for those to be the fastest wheel choice.

-------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Right, but the joke is that in the video Mark Cote says....never mind. The moment passed.

Gotcha. My bad.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:

I think you need to be a very fast cyclist (a la Wiggo) for those to be the fastest wheel choice.

Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
MI_Mumps wrote:
Power13 wrote:

Gotcha. My bad.

No worries! I just think this is another cool indicator that Gomez has some of that old school "whatever, wherever" mentality like some of the early guys.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At high speeds and the yaw angles he experiences those wheels will be pretty good. In ITU do they have seat angle restrictions like UCI? Would be interesting if a seat angle of 74-76 will have an impact on his run.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Last edited by: Mrcooper: Oct 23, 14 19:25
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have that bike in orange with twist shifters. It was my first tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez doing Lifetime Oceanside w/old school equipment [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Every time I talk about pricey tri bike stuff my friend always says a stud biker could win a tri on an old Schwinn. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Gomez doesn't win that bike split or I'll never hear the end of it.

Some of the pro cyclists could probably win the bike leg of a tri on a rusty beach cruiser while wearing flip-flops.

http://aclockworkmango.com
Last edited by: LuvMyCrappyBike: Oct 23, 14 21:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not considering old school to be the '90s...You kids...

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
would be great to see a genuine attempt but cant see specialized paying thier employee to prove that its not about the bike gear

sandbagging the ride convincingly will be like photoshopping the before-photo for an infomercial

having said that - its a nice way to highlight all the triathlon tech that has been brought to the table by specialized
Quote Reply

Prev Next