Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka
Quote | Reply
https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

Hopefully it's the full and not the half!

Looks like a pretty good field:
Jesse Thomas
Dougal Allan
Dylan McNeice
Braden Currie
Luke McKenzie
Luke Bell
Last edited by: andy12: Feb 4, 18 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [andy12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately he’s doing the half, will still probably be a good race. Hopefully they will livestream!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He did the Tauranga Half this summer too, after a couple of races last year. His partner Anneke Jenkins is a Kiwi and since he now spends summers in NZ he's becoming a bit of a fixture.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to see a challenge race having a field like that. In pictures wanaka kinda looks like wildflower. Maybe good mojo for Jesse

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is Gomez planning on doing a full?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Unfortunately he’s doing the half, will still probably be a good race. Hopefully they will livestream!

Why is that unfortunate?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
oscaro wrote:

Why is that unfortunate?

my guess is that if/when gomez races full distance, it'll only be at an M-dot event, and at one that's very carefully chosen to give him a pathway to 'easy' qualification. he's too smart and too old to go racking up IM-distance events just for laughs.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
oscaro wrote:

Why is that unfortunate?

my guess is that if/when gomez races full distance, it'll only be at an M-dot event, and at one that's very carefully chosen to give him a pathway to 'easy' qualification. he's too smart and too old to go racking up IM-distance events just for laughs.

Doesn't he just need to validate with the 70.3 WC win. Although agree in principle, he'll want one good run out pre Kona - pretty sure he's quoted June/July time for that.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I would like to see him do full

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything other than a course record will be unacceptable!
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
oscaro wrote:

Why is that unfortunate?

Doesn't he just need to validate with the 70.3 WC win. Although agree in principle, he'll want one good run out pre Kona - pretty sure he's quoted June/July time for that.

I remember him suggesting Frankfurt as a possibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
He did the Tauranga Half this summer too, after a couple of races last year. His partner Anneke Jenkins is a Kiwi and since he now spends summers in NZ he's becoming a bit of a fixture.

The bike portion anyway, in a team.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the Wanaka half last year. Loved it! I'm perplexed why people don't talk more about this race.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andy12 wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=3&theater

Hopefully it's the full and not the half!

Looks like a pretty good field:
Jesse Thomas
Dougal Allan
Dylan McNeice
Braden Currie
Luke McKenzie
Luke Bell

They are only having a pro field for the half this year. First year they have done that, and looks like they still have a really good field.

Did the full down there back in 2016 and loved it, amazing venue/course and city.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shhhhhhhhhhhh

we're getting a new pool this year, too. don't want it full of STers :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Did the Wanaka half last year. Loved it! I'm perplexed why people don't talk more about this race.

It can be a very tough course some days and even on the best days isn't a course you'll set PR's on. Also, many people choose ironman taupo over C. Wanaka just for the brandname.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankfurt in that case will have super depth, Gomez, Frodo, Lange, Kienle and Nilsson

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Frankfurt in that case will have super depth, Gomez, Frodo, Lange, Kienle and Nilsson

I thought only the winner's qualify for Kona now? Massive gamble for all that lot if so, Gomez also has balls rocking up for his first full IM in what looks like will probably be the most stacked non Kona race of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [Jackets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That rule starts applying after Kona this year, so actually all of them just have to validate!
Of course we are not certain that Gomez or the others will start, they may choose another race instead. I know Nilsson has expressed his interest in the race, and Lange will most likely do it as well as Kienle. Really only see Frodo and Gomez as question marks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jackets wrote:
oscaro wrote:

I thought only the winner's qualify for Kona now? Massive gamble for all that lot if so, Gomez also has balls rocking up for his first full IM in what looks like will probably be the most stacked non Kona race of the year.

I know that stepping up from a HIM to IM is big but do you think Gomez is worried about any of those athletes? Maybe he is thinking that is he is to win Kona then getting race experience at a very competitive race is a good idea?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nearly race day and I'm looking forward to this. Hard to see past Gomez for a comfortable win but plenty of interest in both pro fields for signs of early season form. Hoping for some coverage and that its the usual high standard from Challenge as it'll be a late Friday evening event in the UK.

Wondering how the race will pan out though, the full is off before the half, so the Pro fields are going to be tangling with backmarkers from the full on swim and bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can anyone be so kind as to post a link for this if they do put coverage out?
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did some work in NZ a few years back which required extensive traveling around the south island. After spending a few days in Wanaka I decided: 1) I don't understand why people bother with Queenstown; 2) I really really wished I had my bike with me.

If it wasn't such a hassle to get to from the UK this is a race that would be on the must do list.
Quote Reply
Re: Gomez confirmed for Challenge Wanaka [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Link anyone??

Edit...seems im a bit late to the party...

Gomez wins, only by 17secs though!
Last edited by: Jackets: Feb 16, 18 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the prize purse for this event?
$750,000 ?
Quote Reply

Prev Next