Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going from 920 to Vivoactive - bad idea?
Quote | Reply
I threw this out in another thread but wondered if I could solicit more opinions in a standalone thread...

I currently have a 920 and am thinking about downgrading to the Vivoactive. I'm not a "hard core" triathlete by any means but do enjoy training and competing in 4-5 events per season (longest is 70.3).

Is it a huge downgrade going from the 920 to the VA? I've read Ray's site about all the functionality and capabilities (or lack thereof), but didn't know if anyone has experience moving between the two watches? I like the idea of saving a good chunk of change by selling my 920 for a VA but fear the $100 or so I'd pocket will end up being regrettable..
Has anyone made the switch or something similar to the VA?

Thanks!

"Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday."
Quote Reply
Re: Going from 920 to Vivoactive - bad idea? [rss31778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No power, open water, or multisport mode for starters.

If you don't need those then go for it. If you'll miss those then don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, if you use your 920 during races, then you probably won't be happy downgrading. But if you have a bike computer, and don't do much open water swimming outside of races, it's an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 310xt and and just got a VA at the beginning of the year.

I miss the ability to program structured/interval workouts as the VA doesn't support that. I plan to continue to use the 310xt for that functionality and for cycling and multisport workouts.

I like the everyday usability of the VA and the swim capabilities.

I personally would rather have a 920xt, but couldn't/didn't want to spend the extra money at the time.

As others have said, If you don't need power, multisport or structured workouts, the size and form of the VA are really nice as both an everyday watch and a running watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It also doesn't have a DRILL mode in the pool. This was my main decision point as I use that to ensure the accuracy of my swim sets. If I did a 200M interval and my watch reads 175 I enter drill mode and do a 1 sec drill for 25M to top up the total as it should be.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the VA before moving up to the 920. In addition to the points above, you lose flexibility in the display options (limited to 3 rows). There are workarounds that sort of work for some of these issues (for example, using run mode for open water swim), but I found the functionality overall too limiting.

On the flip side, the size is very nice and it's much easier to wear as a day to day watch. And for casual running and pool swimming you won't find a smaller/lighter option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

You don't say why you want to downgrade. If it is because you want something more everyday wear friendly, then swap the 920 for the Fenix 3. I've had the Fenix 3 for the last year or so, wear it everyday and have been very happy with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Going from 920 to Vivoactive - bad idea? [aarondb4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the feedback to this point.

Regarding why I'd want to downgrade, I guess it's a combination of form and function. Obviously the 920 isn't the most aesthetically pleasing watch to wear in any non-sporting environment. I know the F3 is more acceptable, but that thing is still a monster of anyone's arm. I like the slim-ness of the VA and the more all-day/everyday wear-ability of the device.

From a function perspective, there's a slew of features in the 920 (or F3 for that matter) that I don't plan on ever tapping into. I don't have a power meter, don't train with heart rate, and won't use the running dynamics capabilities. I like metrics and tracking improvements, but don't dive very deep into all the numbers. So, from that perspective the 920 is a bit of overkill for how I train

Also, I could put about $110-$120 back in my pocket by selling the 920 and getting a VA. Small change in the triathlon world, but money is money.

On the other hand, I already have the watch and it functions perfectly and I've had zero issues with it, so why rock the boat...?
Quote Reply