Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Goin pee-pee
Quote | Reply
Been having some serious problems lately in 70.3 races.
Do great at sprint and olympic.
Feel great on the bike and swim.
I get to mile 65ish and its walking time for this guy.

So far it sounds like dehydration but I went to get labs done on Tuesday.
Still waiting on the results.

One thing the Doc said I should ask the community was "how many times do you pee in the race"

First one I dont remember.

Think it was twice.

Musselman I went twice for sure.

I dont know if that is enough.

I thought I was slamming hydration like a champ when I downed 3 bottles of gatorade / water mix and then 2 more water.

I am a salty mess by the end of the race doing the walk and run a bit shuffle.

After the race is over its mild vomit time and I had to get pumped with 2litres of saline solution.

Veins are so deep in the body they had to stick me 5x just to find a good vein.

Just want it to stop. Ill start drinking saline on the bike if I have to.

So heres the question.

How often do you pee in a 70.3?

http://www.athlinks.com/athletes/208730390
Last edited by: jstoveld: Jul 24, 14 13:50
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [jstoveld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Usually try to go two or three times pre-race. Then normally one time during
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Usually once/twice in the water preswim then usually once in T2. The few times I didn't pee in T2 I had terrible races and cramped significantly on the run.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im wondering if that might be my problem as well.

If you dont have to go - you dont think of going? Right?

I was expecting to hear back from the labs today but I havent so my mind is wandering again.

Everyone has their own idea of how to fix whats causing this.
Ive heard Salt tabs, Ive heard change to skratch labs from gatorade, dont drink water drink soda, train more, train less, retire and everything between.

I know its not anything to do with heat as Raleigh was hot and I died.
Musselman was just about hurricane conditions and cold.
Same result.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0 or 1. I pee immediately before the swim start, then in T2 if necessary. My 2 best 70.3s are actually when I didn't pee during the race at all, but I did have to go immediately after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure my problem is hydration. Last year at Boulder 70.3 I took 60oz on the bike because it was hot as hell out, I drank about 30oz at best, didn't pee in T2 had a great first run lap then it all fell apart and I cramped all throughout lap 2.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0 for many 70.3, 1 for one 140.6. Wasn't exactly well hydrated for the only 140.6 I did though. I have peed once in a 70.3 before too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is hard to drink too much, by easy to drink too little. Bare minimum is a bottle per hour, but if it is hot I would try to double that. Sweating is your only way to effectively cool your body and it doesn't work well if it is hot and humid.

I have been using the Osmos pre-race as directed on top of drinking g a couple liters of H2O before starting any race. Then drink at every opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My best 70.3 was one pee during the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered that your problem may be that you are drinking TOO MUCH?

5 bottles of liquid for a 56 mile ride is a lot, IMHO. My stomach would be sloshing like a water balloon if I drank that much.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zero or one time, although for the zero-piss races, it's a 70.4 since I typically run through the chute to the nearest porta-potty. Basically if I can't pee on the bike I'll hold it since I definitely can't manage to pee running and I'm sure as hell not going to stop to pee.
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 to Power 13. Could be too much. Read stuff from the Hammer Nutrition site, and Training Peaks.
Last edited by: stevecycles200: Jul 24, 14 15:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A pee in the water pre-swim, then normally 0-2 during the bike and run. Same for IM distance, though I may pee a bit more often if it's a cold or rainy day.

Have you tried measuring your sweat rate? I.e. weigh yourself naked, go for a run or ride in hot conditions where you take on fluid only (and don't pee) then weigh yourself when you get back (after towelling yourself dry). The weight difference after you account for whatever you drank is the amount you sweated. I figured out that on a hot dry day I can sweat as much as 2 litres/hour. So in maximum sweating conditions (hot, dry and windy), assuming I sweat a bit on the swim and then am biking/running for ~4 hours, I need to take on something like 8-9 litres of fluid, or 10-12 x 750ml bottles.

What colour is your pee when you do go? That's normally the best sign of whether you're hydrated or not.

This study is pretty relevant - www.myh2pro.com/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=101271.

They measured the sweat rate of heat acclimatised IM competitors in Kona in warm, windy conditions. Average sweat rate was 1.4 litres an hour, but there were quite a few subjects on 2 litres or more (reassuring that I'm not a sweaty freak!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any advice given here about hydration without taking your height, weight and the amount you naturally sweat should be taken with a grain of salt (pun intended).

This is one of those things where everyone is different. I have a buddy who is 6'2", 190 lbs and sweats like a gorilla wearing a gorilla suit on a hot August day. I'm 5'8", 115 lbs and I barely sweat in a sauna. The two of us will not and should not have the same water intake. Additionally the way that people sweat is different. Some people are salty sweaters, some are not. It sounds like you are a salty sweater. If that's the case, you're losing more electrolytes through your sweat than most. Here's a pretty good article: http://www.runnersworld.com/...re-you-salty-sweater

Based on that article, you could try adding more salt not just to your race-day nutrition, but also to your everyday diet.
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I'm pretty sure my problem is hydration. Last year at Boulder 70.3 I took 60oz on the bike because it was hot as hell out, I drank about 30oz at best, didn't pee in T2 had a great first run lap then it all fell apart and I cramped all throughout lap 2.

I know that song all too well.

My first 2 miles in raleigh were in the low 6's.

Just breaks my heart to fall apart like that.

Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Have you considered that your problem may be that you are drinking TOO MUCH?

5 bottles of liquid for a 56 mile ride is a lot, IMHO. My stomach would be sloshing like a water balloon if I drank that much.

Im not a superhuman or anything so this is not a backdoor brag.

I sweat like the best of them.

Salt stains up the wazoo on my kit, veins sucked in and then having to be pumped full of saline?

Nah - This isn't a too much thing aside maybe it being water in the mix. Flushing out electrolytes.

I asked the doctor the same thing too. Though it was funny the way we went through the process of elimination.

"If youre only peeing 2x max in the whole race,
and youre puting that much flud in yourself.
Im likely to believe that this is coming out as sweat."

Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [Anando] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anando wrote:
Any advice given here about hydration without taking your height, weight and the amount you naturally sweat should be taken with a grain of salt (pun intended).

This is one of those things where everyone is different. I have a buddy who is 6'2", 190 lbs and sweats like a gorilla wearing a gorilla suit on a hot August day. I'm 5'8", 115 lbs and I barely sweat in a sauna. The two of us will not and should not have the same water intake. Additionally the way that people sweat is different. Some people are salty sweaters, some are not. It sounds like you are a salty sweater. If that's the case, you're losing more electrolytes through your sweat than most. Here's a pretty good article: http://www.runnersworld.com/...re-you-salty-sweater

Based on that article, you could try adding more salt not just to your race-day nutrition, but also to your everyday diet.

I have a pretty similar build to your buddy.

*edit*
So good call on the body make up.

Im a hockey player by trait and in college was 6'2 230lbs and evenly proportionate.
Sweat like a hog back then and still do today.

Now Im 6'2 175-185 depending on the time of day.
12% body fat and so on and so forth.

And I think you are on to something with the salty sweater thing.

We have dark Kits on our team.

The end of raleigh I looked like I rolled around in cocaine. Not flattering.
Then the cramping started and the tight IT band and then when I sat down to stretch my leg out my hip flexors were spazzing out like Gilbert Gottfried with tourettes.

I used to do this sport as a stress reliever.
Writing down the stuff I have been going through is really not puting me in a happy place.

Last edited by: jstoveld: Jul 24, 14 16:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink about 2.5L total during a HIM, of which ~250ml water is during the swim (!), 1.5L Skratch or Gatorade is on the bike, and the rest I go by what I feel like having on the run, typically a mix of water, Gatorade and Coke (maybe 0.5L more if it's really hot) every two miles or so. I don't ever pee after the gun and there is no evidence of being over/under hydrated after the race. Any more than 3L total and I begin to feel sluggish, have some tasty belches/heartburn and generally stop diggin' life for a while. I'm M45-49, 5'7", 160lbs, usually 5 -10 min under 5 hours for the race.

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well Mercer -

You are a fortunate man to only need so much.

I now know that I sweat like the gorilla in a gorilla suit stated above and that probably is what kills me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salt pills or Hammer Endurolytes are very nice to help supplement your liquids and electrolyte intake as well. For long distances its necessary for me to use these at least 2-3/hr depending on the heat, and its easier for me to put down rather than constantly chewing or drinking sugar so many times each hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Judging by the lake under my bike during winter training, I think I sweat more than average too! I know how much I need, having dialed it in with pre-/post-workout weigh ins and by how much I can process without burping up stuff, minus a small glycogen depletion factor. Have you tried weighing yourself to see how much you lose with the rate of hydration you are using? It's normal to lose a few pounds from glycogen depletion and still be fully hydrated, from what I understand

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never peed in any tri under 140.6. Just go prior to swim and should be good. During musselman I took in probably 4 bottles of water during bike (heavy sweating dude here) and needed very little on run. Didn't even have to go immediately after run.
Quote Reply
Re: Goin pee-pee [Shaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shaman wrote:
I've never peed in any tri under 140.6. Just go prior to swim and should be good. During musselman I took in probably 4 bottles of water during bike (heavy sweating dude here) and needed very little on run. Didn't even have to go immediately after run.

Unfortunately even with the saline it took all night to have to pee/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When determining how much to drink, you should keep in mind that your body can only absorb X oz. per hour. You might be sweating 3 times that amount but your body will/can not absorb enough to keep up. Everything I have read puts X at approx. 24 oz. per hr. Your hydration plan should be limited to that amount and taken into consideration when calculating how much electrolyte replacement to have in each bottle. If I'm wrong on the 24 oz./hr, please correct me.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drink lots, drink often. I usually put some kind of electrolyte I my water as well.

To answer your question, right before getting wetsuit on, sometimes just before my swim wave starts and then during the last 1-2 hour or so of the ride I feel that I need to and go in T2.

I've worked the med tent at IMC a number of times. We always asked when the person coming on last peed. Often it was before the race started. That's why they are dehydrated.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply

Prev Next