Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Goggles w/ high nose bridge
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Since everyone was so helpful last time I asked a question, I figured I'd give it another go. I am a beginner swimmer, spending about 3 days in the pool a week, trying to pick up the technique and form, since I never really learned how to swim the crawl when I was a kid (or any other stroke for that matter). I went to the local swim shop and picked up some goggles to start, and they fit my face well, but the nose a whole different story. I have a very very high nose bridge, having broken it 3 times. They're alright unless I take them off or readjust them, then I notice the pain that I get from the contact of the nosepiece with my bridge. I get a huge indent whenever I use them.

So does anyone have any recommendations for goggles for high nose bridges? I found some lane 4's that have the strap integrated so that the nosepiece is just the soft rubber strap, the revolutions, but I was told that you can't get replacement straps if they happen to break. I tried on the speed sockets from speedo, since they have 3 nose pieces, and even the largest one marked my nose, but not nearly as bad as the goggles I have now (Spanks). And the speed sockets are racing goggles, so I figure they may be a bit uncomfortable for daily use.

Thanks for any help that you guys/girls can give.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles w/ high nose bridge [livin4lax09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am kind of happy with my Speedo Vanquishers with the silicone gaskets. Not terribly adjustable but the exchangable solid bridge keeps my nose profile sharp and not "dented".

Although there are other occasions where it really hurts to have the nose in front of everybody.....

Quote | Reply
I had the same problem. TYR Velocity solved the the problem. They come with 3 size nose pieces. I'm never without a pair of the clear and tinted (metalized).

One time, just for kicks, after the plastic that holds the nose piece snapped, I sent them an e-mail. A new pair was in the mail the next day.

I'll never wear anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a big Beak as well and have a hard time with goggles. I've been using the Speedo Speed Sockets with the largest nose piece installed (you get three sizes) and they are the best that I've found.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TYR racetechs are the best that I've found and I have the same problem with goggle fit. The added bonus for the racetechs is that they come in a variety of lens shadings so I have clear pairs for inside and dark tints for sunny outdoor swims and they are cheap!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2 on the TYR Racetech's. Only goggle that fits my well endowed face, leaves less of an indent than any other I've used, + they're pretty cheap (< $10).

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar situation (though I haven't broken my nose). I use the Aqua Sphere Seal Mask XP or the Kayman.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the BlueSeventy Vision goggles. Best pair I've used, and I've had the same problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best I've found are the Kaiman Aquasphere. I have a large schnoz, these still push against it, but its much softer and distributed better. As a bonus it provides the best field of vision. I've enjoyed the dark tint so I can see well in glare.

I can press these goggles onto face and they will stay in place for a long time (5 seconds) without the straps around my head. It's a good method for finding a pair that match your eye sockets correctly.
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles w/ high nose bridge [non_sequitur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I was able to try a couple pairs on at the local swim shop. I liked the look of the TYR velocity and they *looked* like they would solve my problem, but the interchangeable nose piece only gets wider, not taller. My bridge is thin and tall, awkward I know. I wasn't able to try the vanquishers on, but it looked like they may be alright. The speed sockets were good because of the shape of the nose piece, and how it goes up instead of just straight across. Still a bit of an indent, but it looks like I'll just be looking for the pair that hurts my nose the least and give up on finding one that doesn't hurt at all. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sounds like you're just going to have to swallow your pride and get one of those big mask type goggles

-----------------------------------------------------------
Yes. Always punch people in the face when their interests are different than yours. There can be no other way.
-one_lap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have your problem but you might want to try tyr socket rockets. They're sort of swedes but rubberized where they touch your face and plenty comfortable to wear every day whilst the default nosepiece is just a piece of the strap material so I doubt it's going to hurt your nose. Pretty cheap too. And you don't look like a dorky triathlete, the masks should be outlawed on aesthetic grounds.

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles w/ high nose bridge [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I had looked at them but didn't have the chance to try them on. The nosepiece really appealed to me, but they looked uncomfortable for daily use. You say you don't have any comfort issues?

Haha, I know I'll look like a fool in the face mask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try some Eyeline Bioform's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing them for years, on a daily basis during those months when I don't hate swimming (or, more specifically, getting up early to swim) so much. Most comfortable goggles I've ever used, good peripheral vision, the metallic ones look really cool. It would be best if you could try them somehere as whatever you use has to work with the shape of your face. Just don't adjust them super tight (no need to do this with any goggle that fits you).

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best goggles ever made for that kind of face structure (think "eagle") were the "Barracuda Elite".
Perfect seal around the eye sockets. No pain around the eyes, due to old-school foam cushioning. And perfect measurement for a higher, but narrow nose-bridge.
They discontinued that line. If you see somewhere old stock, gobble up!
"Barracuda Fenix" comes close. But not as comfortable as the old "Elite"
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles w/ high nose bridge [de-tri-mental] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
de-tri-mental wrote:
I am kind of happy with my Speedo Vanquishers with the silicone gaskets. Not terribly adjustable but the exchangable solid bridge keeps my nose profile sharp and not "dented".

Although there are other occasions where it really hurts to have the nose in front of everybody.....

I wish they'd bring back the old Vanquishers! The XL model was my favorite. I still have a few pair but the seals are starting to wear out. I'm suffering with the new 2.0 version but not happy. Still more comfortable than anything else I've tried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'll put in another vote for swedish goggles. they're not for everyone, but i find them quite comfortable and haven't used anything else in years. the nice thing is that most swedes come 'disassembled,' so you can put them together yourself and customize the length of the connection between the eye cups (just a piece of string, usually).

they're also cheap, which means experimenting is pretty low-risk!

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply