Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
2000 SCM this morning, nothing too intense a few fast 25s. Masters meet tomorrow - 50 fly, 100 free, 50 and 100 breast.

Good luck with your meet. Question to some of you fishies....today I was doing some breastroke with large paddles and alternating free also with large paddles. I was finding my catch and "outsweep" at the front of my stroke felt better as I was doing a bit more of a skull when I moved over to free. What is the feedback from your guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Schroeder,

On this repeat-up / distance-down set, how did you manage sendoffs?

In olden times, every set I did was on a :45 base (for example), so 100's were on 1:30 and 200's were on 3:00.

But now I find that approach leaves me a lot of time on the wall for a 200 and very little for a 50.

I am thinking maybe 5 sec rest for all distances, or 10?

Sorry, not looking for a long reply, just wondering your approach and showing you where I'm coming from. Thanks for posting it. I like the idea of a ladder that starts from the top.

Andrew Moss
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [apmoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only thing I logged for that workout was 5 x100 @1:50 1:26 average. Until the 100's, I was going by how I felt and probably getting about 20-30 secs rest on everything. Since the distances were mostly odd, I was looking at the clock but not thinking much about what the time meant, e.g. what should my time be for 175m? I know what you mean about getting too much rest on the 200's, but at this point 5-10 seconds rest would kill me as I just started back swimming more seriously this month with the challenge as motivation. Even on 50's I'm still taking 15 secs rest but this is short rest compared to where I was a month ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a fantastic ocean swim this AM. I ramped it up to essentially race pace for 4733 yards in cool (60 degree) calm conditions and hit it in 59:58. That equates to a 53:28 Ironman swim. Super happy where my swim is at.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
His turns should be awesome since we spent so much time as kids training in a 20 yard pool! ;)

That was a nice 50 fly time today, great job. I didn't see the results from your other swims, how did they go?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:
His turns should be awesome since we spent so much time as kids training in a 20 yard pool! ;)

That was a nice 50 fly time today, great job. I didn't see the results from your other swims, how did they go?

Thanks! 50 fly was the best of them for sure. 100 free was 1:02 with a goggles malfunction so I couldn't see and had an awful turn. 1:21 100 was just meh. 35.5 50 breast was a lot better.

Josh crushed the 50 fly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw the pix on FB. Good swimming. We had our meet in Edmonton. 4:14.62 in 400 Free and 2:14.7X 200 IM. Missed the AB record by .07. Still 3rd all time in 40-44 for Canada. I think the Cdn record is within my reach. 4:11.9x. Would love to break a record held by an Olympian.

Next meet a little more rest.

Cdn records in 1500 free, 200 Fly and 400 IM are on my radar.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice job!

I won a local 5k yesterday in 22:36. It felt really good to race. I haven't raced since October.
Today 6 mi 49:32, 2000 yd swim

500 w/u 6:58
100 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30 evens fast 1:12, 1:12
100 kick
500 swim 6:41
100 kick
200 c/d

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ask him about his pink panties

Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After Saturday's big ocean swim, I was pretty fatigued, so went easier on Sunday - still in the ocean. Went moderate down to Seal Rock,., then paced Kelly (a 2 time Olympic Marathon trialist and ALS swimmer) back, which meant a lot of backstroke. So, just 2788 yards in 43:37.

This AM was back at the pool:
1000s 13:35
4x250 kwf all strokes
10x100@1:45 alt IM/BR/FR
200 s/k cool

3200 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
8.5 mi run w/ 1 mi @ 8:00, 1 mi @ 7:47, 1.1 mi @ 7:35
1200 yd swim

500 w/u
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:25
100 kick
50 c/d

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
8.5 mi run w/ 1 mi @ 8:00, 1 mi @ 7:47, 1.1 mi @ 7:35
1200 yd swim

500 w/u
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:25
100 kick
50 c/d

Yesterday I spent 2 hours at the track. First 30 minutes was doing a variety of running/jogging/drills/agility work on the infield, then main set was 10x100m, 8x200, 10x400m, 2x1000m with a variety of jogging "rest" in between for an hour, then I spent 30 more minutes on the infield with as soccer ball playing solo doing more soccer drills and kicks, and ball control. There is a method to the madness, as it connects my brain to my feet in different ways than linear motions.

After this I was fried, but ate a pita witih a ton of olive oil and salt that I pre packed in zip lock bag and a banana and a bottle of water. Then drove 20 minutes to the pool and stuck with my plan of a 1 hour swim.

First 20 minutes, my legs felt like they were drowning until my food digested and I got my carbs back up in my blood stream....main set was:

400 m 50m fly-50m free time 4 no rest
50m kick
400 m 50/50 with Speedo paddles as in the above
50m kick
100m fly-100m free emptying the tank

Basically a continuous 1100m hard. I am almost ready for the 1000m ITT doing 50/50 fly-free. Endurance is almost there. Once I start biking I think my 20 minute power is going to be awesome with all this cardio workload. I find there is a good transfer from leg intensive swimming to biking.
Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got back in the pool yesterday, I've hardly been in at all (maybe once every 2 weeks), plus everyone in the house has been sick for the last month (alternating between me, my wife and the toddler. Over the weekend my wife and I had a look at the schedule to try and set it up so I can get in at least 3 times per week, 'cuz she's noticed that I'm getting crankier. I need that outlet.

Yesterday was rough, I've lost sooo much fitness. Main set was 2 x 400, followed by 4x(3x50) choice on :55, :60, :50, :60. The 400's I was doing 5:30's, so slow.

Went home and passed out on the couch.

Hopefully tonight goes better.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got 4 1/2 weeks to get your butt in shape. ;)

3400 SCM this morning - felt like death, zero speed in my arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be back from vacation 2 days before the meet. I'd better take my suit and goggles.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'll be back from vacation 2 days before the meet. I'd better take my suit and goggles.

If you are going somewhere with a swim up bar, just make sure you enter the pool at the far end to get in a lap on the way over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL!

Heading to Bermuda to visit my folks. There's a cove at the end of the street, if it's calm it is a nice place to swim. There are a couple of other options as well, I'm gonna try and get in with some old friends.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3000 today. . . Yesterday was run/lift/bike. So sore.

Main set was 3 rounds of 6x100 @ 1:25. 1:08 pace
1. Swim with fins
2. Pull/paddles
3. Swim

Did 4x50 free @55 drag chute & 6x25 fly @ 45 drag chute...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1 hour results in... 5th OA and 1st in AG

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jason, glad you're back in the pool.
Dev, makes sense about the soccer training.

7.5 mi easy run, 1500 yd swim

2 x [500 swim + 50 kick] 7:02, 6:42
4 x 100 on 1:30 odds fast 1:10, 1:11

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good to be back.

swam last night as well, making it 2 days in a row.

I'm quite sore today. Even the bottoms of my feet hurt from the turns...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
swam last night as well, making it 2 days in a row.

nice job :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a pleasant morning swim around Seal Rock in 59 deg water.

Hit the Sloshbucket at lunch and right off the bat, hammered out a 1650 in 20:34. That would place me 3rd in the nation in my age group. I have a swim meet at UCLA this Sunday where I'll be swimming it. Hoping to break 20 minutes, which would put me in 2nd place. First seems out of reach with the dude knocking out an 18:39!

Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on the 1hr result!

7.1 mi run, 1400 yd swim

500 w/u
50 kick
5 x 100 on 1:30 best average 1:13, 1:14, 1:12, 1:12, 1:11
50 swim
50 kick
200 fast 2:25
25 kick
25 swim

Quote Reply
Re: Go Fish! March Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Had a pleasant morning swim around Seal Rock in 59 deg water.

Hit the Sloshbucket at lunch and right off the bat, hammered out a 1650 in 20:34. That would place me 3rd in the nation in my age group. I have a swim meet at UCLA this Sunday where I'll be swimming it. Hoping to break 20 minutes, which would put me in 2nd place. First seems out of reach with the dude knocking out an 18:39!

you guys are insanely fast. I'd need a water rover wetsuit, fins, and paddles and even then I would not even be able to hold 100m at this pace....I'd need to convert a Fabian Cancellara approved bike bottom bracket motor to add some propellers sticking out of each hip!!!!

OK I just realized that I am down to the last 2 days in the month to try my 1000m 50/50 fly-free TT...damn...I've been avoiding it. Today in my main set it was pretty well continous

3x200m IM (50 fly-25 back-25 breast-100m free) + 500m (50 fly-50 free repeat with speedo power paddles).

But there was a 10 second break to put on the paddles, but I think I can crank out the 1000m continuous 50-50 now without drowning or having a heart attack. I guess I will try it tomorrow!

Jason great to hear you are actively swimming again! We need your advice around here!
Quote Reply

Prev Next