Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

GoPro vs. Garmin Virb Elite
Quote | Reply
Picked up a Garmin Virb Eite on Chainlove for $100 off. Had been planning on getting a GoPro, but the deal was pretty good. I really liked the fact that my Garmin data would sync in the video software (power, hr, etc)

Once I got it, was a bit disappointed in the unit size and included mounts.

Anyone have experience using both units, or just overall experience with the Virb?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro vs. Garmin Virb Elite [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really like my Virb Elite. I recently bought the K-Edge GoPro Mount for it to replace the bulky one that comes standard.

I think it fits pretty nicely. I really like the video quality, the ease of use, and the incorporation of the data.

EXAMPLE VIDEO HERE

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Shimano camera on DC Rainmaker's site , I may hold out for the new GoPro to make a decision though

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro vs. Garmin Virb Elite [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He actually gave that a pretty poor "pre-review" review.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Virb (basic) is a great camera. I have very few, if any, gripes with it. I cannot compare it directly to the GoPro but the image quality is far superior to the Contour I have. I like being able to take stills while in video mode as well as how easy menu navigation is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm lucky enough to have been able to borrow each of these for use. I borrowed the VIRB from a friend a few months ago to do some course video for a local race. I only had it for a few days. I happen to have a pair of GoPros at home right now that I've borrowed from another friend to do some more course video for a local race. I am also evaluating their use for motion capture in my fitting studio, as the GoPros have some nice high frame rate options (120 fps at 720p). I'll try to leave that aspect out of my comparison though, as I am not sure my needs for the fitting studio are exactly normal.

For course video, catching action video, etc., it's hard to really say one is much better than the other. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I am certainly not the most keen-eyed, but I think they both do really great video. Most of what I've done has been in good sunlight, which obviously helps good video, but neither has left me disappointed. The VIRB is nice when you can sync the Garmin data - kind of a neat feature. The VIRB does seem to be a bit more hefty, although I feel the shape of it is less clumsy, for lack of a better way to put it. Of course, that also depends on what kind of video - the more upright shape of the GoPro would go better with a chest strap, but I like the VIRB for mounting on the bike or a helmet. Maybe it's because it looks more aero? lol!

I find the GoPro mounts to be kind of odd, with the interlocking tabs and thumbscrew thingy. My fine motor skills suck, and I look like a monkey fucking a football trying to change them. I do like some of the additional features GoPro offers, like the BacPac things such as the extra battery pack or the LCD.

I actually like the record button on the VIRB better. It's more tactile and makes it obvious the camera is on. The other thing I like about the VIRB is the built-in LCD. I like knowing what I'm aiming at.

I hope that helps a little. My time with each has been fairly limited, so I can't say I've really gotten as deep with either one as I could (for example, never used the VIRBs WiFi, and haven't had much luck with it on the GoPro yet). This is definitely not a DC Rainmaker-quality review, that's for sure!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can sync the Garmin data to the GoPro video using the Garmin Editing Software.
I was tempted to buy the Garmin camera but I think I will probably go with the Shimano one since you can get it for less than 300 at amazon.

Tiago
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro vs. Garmin Virb Elite [kmill23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input. Any additional insight is appreciated.

kmill - the K-Edge Go Pro mount worked with the Virb, no issues?

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Be sure you get the correct one. And you'll still need the little adapter that comes with the Virb. But it's a nice setup.

Check out this link for the relevant info:

http://www.bikerumor.com/...quirements-surprise/

Hope you enjoy it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Shimano camera and have been impressed at ease of use, quality of video (stability/resolution) and it's really tiny. They have not released their desktop SW yet but it's pretty easy to get off the memory card onto your PC/Mac, and I have used the Garmin Virb software to add telemetry a couple of times (the shimano camera will save gps data along with data from any synced devices like power meter). I use a K-edge under saddle mount.

Couple of videos taken recently (both crits, close to an hour):

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
new garmin virb look as gopro http://velohack.com/...rmin-virb-x-virb-xe/
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro vs. Garmin Virb Elite [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at getting a camera myself and considering GoPro and Garmin Virb Elite.

I would like to take the camera with me on the bike (biggest use) and want to have the ability to overlay ANT+ data (can be afterwards too). Want to be able to easily take a picture of the scenery, friends etc on rides. I think I'd also like to use it occasionally as a dashboard camera during vacation or as something rugged to take video or pictures when I'm in places where my iphone isn't very well suited (like the beach, for example).

I like the Garmin Virb since that may be the easiest for biking; but the GoPro seems to be a bit more all round. GoPro also has a million more adapters (that are cheap) and the video quality seems to be the best, but the battery life is less and it also doesn't have image stabilization (is that correct?).

What would you recommend? I will also say the many GoPro choices don't help make any decisions easier as I'm not really familiar with how fps or resolution have an impact on what i really end up seeing when I watch something on my computer.

Last edited by: Cobble: Apr 15, 15 5:43
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro vs. Garmin Virb Elite [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have none of these cameras, but do plan on getting a GoPro soon.
GoPro basically owns the space. Mounts, adapters etc all that; they have it covered, and with 3rd party as well.
Apparently, the Garmin software with data is pretty cool - but you don't need a Garmin camera to use it. Software is free and can use your GoPro footage with Garmin data. A friend does this for his videos.
Much like Garmin basically owning the bike GPS space, GoPro basically owns the POV camera space.
I would need a really compelling reason to choose another brand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both, a new GoPro Hero 4 Silver and the Garmin Virb Elite... each of them have their specific uses but for road biking, mountain biking or fat biking hands down I always use the Garmin, being able to control it with my Edge 810 or 510 or with the remote is the biggest benefit for me. I also prefer the look and form/function of it over the GoPro and use the various K-Edge mounts (purchased separately) to secure it to the bike. I can easily swap it from front to back to get different footage. It has great battery life also and with a spare battery I get about 5 hours of footage. Now finding the time to edit afterwards is another story! I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: GoPro vs. Garmin Virb Elite [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I have none of these cameras, but do plan on getting a GoPro soon.
GoPro basically owns the space. Mounts, adapters etc all that; they have it covered, and with 3rd party as well.
Apparently, the Garmin software with data is pretty cool - but you don't need a Garmin camera to use it. Software is free and can use your GoPro footage with Garmin data. A friend does this for his videos.
Much like Garmin basically owning the bike GPS space, GoPro basically owns the POV camera space.
I would need a really compelling reason to choose another brand

I bought a GoPro Hero4 Silver at Christmas time. I looked long and hard at GoPro, Garmin, Shimano, and Sony. All good cameras. I liked the fact that the Shimano was waterproof out of the box without a case or anything else but it is kind of complicated to use. The Sony is a really good camera too. I decided on the GoPro Silver due to the fact that it has the built in LCD display and touch screen. We have a FLIP cam that my wife is very comfortable using but the software for it really doesn't work any more since Cisco made the rather stupid decision to drop the line-up because "phones will take over the personal camera market". Oops. Anyway . . . The main factors that steered me away from Garmin are a) the size of the camera b) the versatility (I plan to use the camera for other things besides riding) c) ease of use (again no built in display d) Garmin's on-going ineptitude with software. The last one is the biggest concern. Garmin seems to make great devices but their supporting software is very poor with on-going quality and compatibility issues. They can't reliably transfer ANT+ data for a run. I can't imagine how bad they would be at video transfer or editing.

In the end, all other cameras are still compared to the GoPro. GoPro regularly sponsors triathlon events. The cameras are well thought out, easy to use, and have hundreds of commercial mounts available.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Hero3+. Video quality it quite good. I put it in a K-Edge mount under my Garmin 510. The set up works well. Video sample here.

1*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the go pro, the contour, the virbs. I am now ambivalent to them all. It was kind of cool in the beginning, but I have to be honest with you no one wants to look at your video riding, snowboarding, heliboarding etc...except you. And even then, you get bored of the videos soon enough. I primarily use the cameras as my "black box" on my bikes. I would just buy the cheapest (they are/were blowing out the virbs). The cool thing about the garmin is that it syncs with your other garmin devices and can overlay speed/power/hr onto the video itself. The other thing or tip is that you can plug in an external battery into the garmin and the gopro so you can extend the battery life for your long rides. In terms of mounts, you can buy adapters i.e. tripod to gopro mount adapters to make mounting any system pretty trivial. I do use the k-edge. underseat rail mount for my rear "black box" system on my commuter bike for the virb.
Quote Reply