Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th
Quote | Reply
This has been one of the best Grand Tours to watch. Now after 20 stages, there is only 90 seconds separating the top 6 riders:

General Classification#Rider Name (Country) TeamResult1Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team90:00:38 2Vincenzo Nibali (Ita) Bahrain-Merida0:00:39 3Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ0:00:43 4Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Team Sunweb0:00:53 5Ilnur Zakarin (Rus) Katusha-Alpecin0:01:15 6Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) AG2R La Mondiale0:01:30

Sunday's stage is a 29 K mainly flat TT with 60 m of elevation drop from the Formula 1 Race track in Monza where Nike just tried to break 2 hours for the marathon over to Milano:

Who do you guys think will take this one? I'm still betting on Dumoulin, but Pinot has beaten Dumoulin before in the Tour of Romandie ITT 2016.

With the players at hand, this might be the best Grand Tour finish since the TdF 1989 from Versailles to Paris. Similar stage to end the race:

The worst part of this podium is that that Pedro Delgado takes the win had he not missed his start time on the stage 1 prologue!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumoulin has got this one, though Pinot and Nibali may surprise, and I Quintana is going to go deep into the well on this one. Wow, this will be awesome.

And agreed, this has been the best Grand Tour in many, many years. Amazing route selection and to have Dumoulin, Quintana and Nibali battling it out day in and day out has been awesome.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Dumoulin has got this one, though Pinot and Nibali may surprise, and I Quintana is going to go deep into the well on this one. Wow, this will be awesome.

And agreed, this has been the best Grand Tour in many, many years. Amazing route selection and to have Dumoulin, Quintana and Nibali battling it out day in and day out has been awesome.

I am wondering if Nike can lend the Tesla with the big time clock to Quintana and a few pacers....hey I know I am derailing this thread and I did not get around to responding back to you, but honestly I agree with you that the pace car was not indifferent than most marathons. This only difference was the track and sub in pacers. Imagine if you can just run a normal marathon on the track at Monza with all the best marathoners and pay everyone $500K for breaking 1:51 at 39K.

OK back to this thread....best Grand Tour since 1989? Course selection has been awesome!!!! Pinot looks the strongest.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I am wondering if Nike can lend the Tesla with the big time clock to Quintana and a few pacers....hey I know I am derailing this thread and I did not get around to responding back to you, but honestly I agree with you that the pace car was not indifferent than most marathons. This only difference was the track and sub in pacers. Imagine if you can just run a normal marathon on the track at Monza with all the best marathoners and pay everyone $500K for breaking 1:51 at 39K.

OK back to this thread....best Grand Tour since 1989? Course selection has been awesome!!!! Pinot looks the strongest.

and the water bottle hand offs. that was huge! and I'll mention this again, that youtube video of Kipchoge's run has got to be one of the best motivational videos for trainer/treadmill sessions! pure grit, pure focus, and the amount that he forces a smiles during the race you'd think he keeps a copy of Fredrickson's broaden and build theory and upward spirals of positive affect next to his cot.

back to this thread. this will be an AWESOME TT!!! I mean, 2010 Contador v Andy never really materialized and Andy was a baby. Not since Lance v Ulrich v the smiling assassin (Basso) have we had this kind of intensity...

and to think we have Challenge next Saturday with live coverage. I just have a permanent grin

Last edited by: milesthedog: May 27, 17 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on the mountain in 2004 for the Alpe d'Huez ITT between Basso, Ullrich and Lance. I was actually hanging out by the team CSC warmup zone like a random poser fans do, and got recruited by Phil White from Cervelo to translate for him to a French journalist interviewing him on Basso's climbing rig. That was truly a blast. My French is not that good anymore but was good enough to get the main points across....then hiked up to the 6th switchback on Alpe d'Huez to join the wave of humanity for Lance vs Ullrich vs Basso!

This was the single craziest day of cycling I witnessed. Aparently 3 drunk fans fell off the mountain and died that day too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I was on the mountain in 2004 for the Alpe d'Huez ITT between Basso, Ullrich and Lance. I was actually hanging out by the team CSC warmup zone like a random poser fans do, and got recruited by Phil White from Cervelo to translate for him to a French journalist interviewing him on Basso's climbing rig. That was truly a blast. My French is not that good anymore but was good enough to get the main points across....then hiked up to the 6th switchback on Alpe d'Huez to join the wave of humanity for Lance vs Ullrich vs Basso!

This was the single craziest day of cycling I witnessed. Aparently 3 drunk fans fell off the mountain and died that day too.

I always watch this stage (on YOUTUBE) for motivation when doing a FTP test: the crowd along the whole route is just insane.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome!!!

yeah, 2001 - the fake out, watching that live is the only time in my life that I've stood up screaming like a crazed soccer fan during a sporting event. tomorrow should be good. Saturday should be better. I say Michi's half iron record goes down. I'm calling sub 4:30.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [moonmonkey02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
moonmonkey02 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I always watch this stage (on YOUTUBE) for motivation when doing a FTP test: the crowd along the whole route is just insane.

good call. your preferred youtube link? that crowd is insane

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

If this was a week 1 TT, there'd be no doubt about Dumoulin. But he's appeared exhausted the past few days. I wonder how much is left in the tank. Pinot appears the least fatigued of the bunch, which could make him a wild card.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

Barring multiple mechanical's Dumoulin has this in the bag: perfect non-technical TT drag strip.

He deserves the win and has been the best across the 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

If this was a week 1 TT, there'd be no doubt about Dumoulin. But he's appeared exhausted the past few days. I wonder how much is left in the tank. Pinot appears the least fatigued of the bunch, which could make him a wild card.

By the way, here is the Wikipedia "recap" from July 1989. Fignon lost 58 seconds to Lemond over 25K with ~70m of elevation loss. Very similar set up to tomorrow:

Finale[edit]

Greg Lemond during the final time trial
As the racers prepared for the final stage, it was learned that leader Fignon had developed saddle sores in stage 19, which gave him pain and made it impossible to sleep at night before the time trial. Although LeMond had been riding spectacular individual time trials throughout the Tour, the amount of time he had to make up was significant. French newspapers had prepared special editions with Fignon on the front page, preparing for his victory. The final stage from Versailles to Paris was billed as a showdown between Fignon and LeMond, but it was agreed that the task facing the 1986 champion was nearly impossible.[9] On the stage, LeMond innovatively used triathlon handlebars while Fignon rode a more conventional timetrial bike with bullhorn handlebars and disc wheels with a smaller wheel in the front. LeMond told his team not to give him his time splits as he wanted to ride all-out.
The final time trial was over a course approximately 25 kilometres (15.5 mi) long, with a net elevation loss of 75 metres (247 ft). The riders had a moderate tailwind. LeMond put his bike into a huge 55 x 12 gear. His effort was the fastest individual time trial for a distance longer than 10 km ever ridden. A November 1989 Bicycling Magazine article, supported by wind-tunnel data, estimated that LeMond may have gained 1 minute on Fignon through the use of the new aerobars.[10] He also could have gained 16 seconds by wearing his aero helmet with a slightly elongated tail section for better aerodynamics, while Fignon rode bare-headed with his ponytail exposed to the wind. Fignon did perhaps gain a 5-second advantage by using a disk front wheel, while LeMond used a 24-spoke bladed radially spoked front wheel. Fignon finished third in the final time trial with an average speed of 53.59 kilometres per hour (33.30 mph). His time was fifty-eight seconds slower than LeMond's, which gave the yellow jersey and the Tour title to the American. LeMond's final margin of victory over Fignon was eight seconds. Another change in the general classification top 10 produced by the time trial was Kelly finishing ninth in the GC overtaking Millar by 21 seconds.[4]
Greg LeMond won the most stages with three, two of which were time trials. Fignon and Barteau each had 2 wins with one of these being in the team trial.[1] The only rider to win more than one individual road race stage was the Dutchman Jelle Nijdam, who won on two long days with no large mountains. The nation with the greatest number of stage wins was Netherlands with six (Breukink, Nijdam x 2, Mathieu Hermans, Rooks and Theunisse) The race team to win the most stages was PDM with four (Alcalá, Martin Earley, Rooks and Theunisse).[1]

Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Watching him today, do you think he was being conservative for tomorrow's ITT?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
moonmonkey02 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

good call. your preferred youtube link? that crowd is insane

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
trail wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

I was thinking that for most of the day that was the case, until we got to the final 10K when he + Yates + Mollema + Jungels went full gas. Basically he was riding with Sunweb's virtual TTT squad. It was awesome to watch. Definitely Orica was going to "pay back" Movistar for Blockhaus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Quintana is the least fatigued.
I still don't think he will win though.
I bet he does surprise with a tough ride.
I bet either Dumoulin or Pinot (or both) blow it.
Last edited by: Velocibuddha: May 27, 17 12:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

It's tough so say. Like Froome, he's really good at pacing up climbs and not being suckered into responding to all the surges. But I have to think that it he could have closed the gap, he would have. And I don't think he's cocky enough to want to give up that time.

I do give him credit for raw perseverance, particularly in the deuce-gate climb. That could mentally destroy a lot of guys, but he just kept grinding. I'll be cheering for him in the TT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

It's tough so say. Like Froome, he's really good at pacing up climbs and not being suckered into responding to all the surges. But I have to think that it he could have closed the gap, he would have. And I don't think he's cocky enough to want to give up that time.

I do give him credit for raw perseverance, particularly in the deuce-gate climb. That could mentally destroy a lot of guys, but he just kept grinding. I'll be cheering for him in the TT.

agree - his resilience after his pit stop was amazing if you consider that he was riding through possibly prolonged stomach distress.

Velocibuddha wrote:
I think Quintana is the least fatigued.

Quintana and Nibali went to the well trying to break Dumoulin two days ago and they pushed hard up today's climb

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Quintana and Nibali did what they could to break Dumoulin.
There just wasn't that much that could be done.

Dumoulin, on the other hand, did everything he could to avoid being broken.
And "everything" for Dumoulin, was in fact everything.

The question is how well does Dumoulin recover?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember a time trial in the TDF where Ulrich could have won the TDF but LA won because Ulrich fell in a roundabout. The story goes that LA had checked the course on the bike, but Ulrich just had it videoed by a teammember and he had just watched the video.

Anyway, I hope no one will fall tomorrow and TD will win.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:
I think Quintana and Nibali did what they could to break Dumoulin.
There just wasn't that much that could be done.

Dumoulin, on the other hand, did everything he could to avoid being broken.
And "everything" for Dumoulin, was in fact everything.

The question is how well does Dumoulin recover?

I say the win goes to whomever visits these forums, which we'll know if they're using rebadged Vittoria Corsa Speed Open TLR run as tubeless with minimal sealant, 23mm front, 25mm rear.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With a net downhill non technical TT it's a straight W/CdA shoot out. Tom D pumps Quintana on both fronts thankfully.
He gets a helping hand from.good old potential energy too. It's a prolonged FTP test so he shouldn't need to go completely in to the red until he can smell the line. Pinot can TT though and shouldn't be ruled out.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
I remember a time trial in the TDF where Ulrich could have won the TDF but LA won because Ulrich fell in a roundabout. The story goes that LA had checked the course on the bike, but Ulrich just had it videoed by a teammember and he had just watched the video.

That was the final TT of the 2003 TdF. David Millar won that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwhKLxdkEX4
Quote Reply
Re: Giro final ITT Monza - Milano -3580 km later, 53 seconds between 1st and 4th [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:

Here you go:

Worst front end in aero history:

The crash.. front wheel washout on the wet reverse bank coming out of the roundabout

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

That was the final TT of the 2003 TdF. David Millar won that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwhKLxdkEX4

Thanks for finding that link so quickly. The crash is in that link on 7:43.
By the way I hate roundabouts in races, you don't want to brake but mostly you have to...
Last edited by: longtrousers: May 27, 17 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Here you go:

Worst front end in aero history:

The crash.. front wheel washout on the wet reverse bank coming out of the roundabout

You were again faster.
Quote Reply

Prev Next