Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giro empires are fast...
Quote | Reply
Giro empires are fast...what makes them so fast?

Adding to Thomas Gerlachs testing of the empire that suggest it is super quick, but why?

Is it the narrowness? Is it the lack of any clasps?

I.e. Could you take a regular show, take off the clasps/straps and put laces in it?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro empires are fast... [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No buckles. [/thread]
Quote Reply
Re: Giro empires are fast... [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it's definitely not just that, as I've seen the empires beat out the bonts with no straps by 3-5w.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which Bolts? The ones with the big rubber bumpers on the front? Cronos put Empires to shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not from what I've seen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Not from what I've seen.

Actual numbers? There's a reason all the Drag2Zero boys are using Cronos. DMT Pistas abd Spec Sub 6 are fast too, but again it's too do with the lack of buckles and covered laces.

You will haven't said which Bonts you saw them tested against.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wouldn't any laced shoe with smooth exterior surface do the same thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro empires are fast... [1xatbandcamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much. Cronos are the exception and banned as a result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think that's really stupid they banned the Cronos. We can wear pointy helmets but not pointy shoes? Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a theory. But want to do more testing to test it out.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Giro empires are fast...what makes them so fast?

Adding to Thomas Gerlachs testing of the empire that suggest it is super quick, but why?

Is it the narrowness? Is it the lack of any clasps?

I.e. Could you take a regular show, take off the clasps/straps and put laces in it?[/quote

The shoes are crazy light, to me that means there is less material. Less material is like sizing down IMO from a medium helmet to a small.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Giro empires are fast... [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes it was the cronos,
They may be slick and pointy, but the empire is not only narrower but generally there is less space between the inside edge and the crank (resulting in lower stance width, which is more aero)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't believe this for a second. That would make Empires over 10w faster than a standard shoe. What was the protocol and where was the testing done?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Thomas Gerlach and All,

I have both Bont Zero + and Giro Empire.

I have many miles on the Bonts and they are super comfortable.

I just recently got the Empires on a sale and do not have much time with them so far but they seem to fit well.

The Empires are visibly a bit more narrow than the Bonts and appear that they would be very aero.

Size 46 Bonts with SpeedPlay Zero cleats and View-Speed modification for running are 106mm wide and weigh 307 g.

Size 46 Giro with SpeedPlay Zero cleats and View-Speed modification for running are 99mm wide and weigh 303 g.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Giro empires are fast... [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grill wrote:
I don't believe this for a second. That would make Empires over 10w faster than a standard shoe. What was the protocol and where was the testing done?

Are you referring to my test? If so it was at A2. No specific protocol, I didn't go to just test the shoes, it was one of the last items tested. I will say if you look at my bike splits, the only major change I have really made was the shoes and aero kit. My splits this year are significantly faster on similar watts.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe your drafting or motorcade doping. Seems too good to be true to me

I seriously hope you sense the sarcasm here. I am not accusing you of cheating
Quote Reply
Re: Giro empires are fast... [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zachboring wrote:
Maybe your drafting or motorcade doping. Seems too good to be true to me

I seriously hope you sense the sarcasm here. I am not accusing you of cheating

The irony is that when I finally have a front pack swim it will all be sorted out by then and no advantage will be present any longer.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha,
I bet thanks because you own bonts and don't want to believe it.
Testing was done at a very very reputable tunnel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriByran wrote:
Haha,
I bet thanks because you own bonts and don't want to believe it.
Testing was done at a very very reputable tunnel.

Actually I have Empires and all my velodrome testing certainly doesn't suggest they're that fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then you might need to go for decent testing at a tunnel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Grill wrote:

Are you referring to my test? If so it was at A2. No specific protocol, I didn't go to just test the shoes, it was one of the last items tested. I will say if you look at my bike splits, the only major change I have really made was the shoes and aero kit. My splits this year are significantly faster on similar watts.

What did you test them against? What aero kit did you change? Surely your visit to the tunnel showed you the drop in CdA with each change of kit. Also, comparing splits on different races on different days is no way a scientific test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 'eye' wind tunnel says DMT pistas look plenty fast? The giros look slender but pretty round and blunt fronted.
Someone needs to make a crono shaped shoes for the tri market screw the UCI
Quote Reply
Re: Giro empires are fast... [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://twitter.com/...s/614406132698873856

Pistas are 4.5w faster than the Vaypor+.

I can believe that Empires are faster than the Zero+ (mainly because that giant plastic bumper doesn't help), but not more than Cronos. I'll happily buy anyone's pair of Cronos to test and report back the results.
Quote Reply

Prev Next