Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert)
Quote | Reply
Stage one in the books and one of those great moments in cycling when the "wrong" guy wins it. Looked to be somewhat of a mix up with the sprint trains, Lukas Postalberger, who's really a domestique/lead-out guy for his team, get's a bit of a gap in the final kilometer, and then get's the green-light to just go for it, and rides in for the win!

Never in his wildest dreams did he think he would be pulling on the Maglia Rosa when it was all over!

Big day for the Bora-Hansgrohe team as they take all the Jerseys!

Love the Giro - living up to it's unpredictable and wildness, on Stage One!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve, be honest .... did you think he sat up 50 meters to early? I was SURE the blew it. I visualized him pointing to the logo on his jersey ... and finishing fourth.

what a great result. no way to predict that, even at the 2k to go mark

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
steve, be honest .... did you think he sat up 50 meters to early? I was SURE the blew it. I visualized him pointing to the logo on his jersey ... and finishing fourth.

Yes, he almost missed it and blew it. I kept saying (shouting), "Don't sit up. Don't sit up"! They were RIGHT on him.

BIG rookie mistake.

At least this did not happen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UD0QtUeXbI

Last edited by: Fleck: May 5, 17 9:42
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh my god, I've never seen that one before. THAT's gonna leave a scar. jeepers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The feed I was watching had the announcers yelling at him as he sat up!! They were nervous it was too early to sit up... Glad it worked out though.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THAT's gonna leave a scar

Dave,

This version of that same video will REALLY scar you then ( If you are a Democrat!) - warning - MASSIVE laughs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7vKDzgRdEY

Last edited by: Fleck: May 5, 17 10:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good first day. Sad to see Teklehaimanot not taking those early points for the KOM jersey but he can only blame himself for that...

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [tsdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it when that happens. It's great for the guy- GT STAGE WINNER.
Even though I had Caleb for the win.

Lil observation: Did anyone see at an intermediate sprint all the past winners' names painted on the road? Left me shaking my head ruefully.

The Giro is cray cray.

While I'm in the bag for the Cannondale kids, I predict once again that Katusha, Astana do very well. It must be all the garlic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, what media outlet are you using in Ontario to watch? Let's start a new thread for each day's stage so that things don't get buried.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev,

I thought one thread would be better, than putting one up for each day. Did not want to hog the front board, and other than REAL controversy, the discussion/debate about each stage is more or less done for the day at the end of that day and we move on to the next stage!

I watched today here - http://www.granfondoguide.com/ - it's the Eurosport feed with Sean Kelly et al on the commentary.

Please send a Thank You note to the folks at Gran Fondo Guide - Simon Smith & Mark Harding for making this happen - marketing@granfondoguide.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ding! Ding! Ding!!!!

not so good for that whole Italian racing thing.....

http://www.granfondoguide.com/LiveStream/GirodItalia/1/2712/bardiani-riders-withdrawn-from-giro-start
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, did you catch what happened to the BMC rider at 3k to go? He is shown holding his crank and pedal in his hand. However, there is something that looks like a BB bearing cup too. I can't tell if the crank fell off, if he broke the spindle, the BB came, out, or some combination of the above.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. I saw that. With the way modern cranks/BBs are built, I always wonder how that could happen?

I recall a photo from a long time ago of the great Laurent Fignon sitting on the road, after he had fallen. Fignon is sitting on the road with the pedal and the whole of the crank arm, sitting in front of him and it's obviously snapped/sheered right off off at the BB.

Found photo - http://bit.ly/2pRJm8r

Last edited by: Fleck: May 6, 17 7:47
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [JesseN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm watching the Giro here on the Granfondo Guide supplied live stream - http://http://www.granfondoguide.com/LiveStream/GirodItalia

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
watching on xfinity in the states.

gotta say, I don't know this area at all. its beautiful. glorious mountains and valleys

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave - Indeed. Looks like a beautiful area.

All back together with 30Km to go. Downhill and flat run-in to the finish. Slow stage so far - 34km/h average. Piano! Could be a wild and very fast bunch sprint for the win here in Stage 2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ha! yesterday we didn't know the winner with 2K to go. today, we knew it was gonna be Griepel with about 30k to go

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad luck for Caleb Ewan - pulled out of the pedal with about 200m to go. Amazing that he stayed up-right. That could have brought down a bunch of people.

Greipel in Pink! First time for him, I think I heard them say.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn!
I have Ewan in my team, you'd think the Orica mechs would crank the pedal release to maximum for the sprinters.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Ewan in my team, you'd think the Orica mechs would crank the pedal release to maximum for the sprinters.

I am sure they do.

Looks like there may have been a bit of contact, just prior to the pull out. There is a tendency when you are doing this to counter the movement with some leg twisting/torquing - if that is radiated to the pedal, then you will pull out - that's the way they work - you need to pull straight up to stay engaged.

As I noted, I'm always amazed when sprinters do this and they are able to keep the bike upright - Kudos to Caleb. It's a very dangerous high speed situation.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy for Greipel. By all accounts a great guy and a sprinter who'll ride everything and smash it for his team when he can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the pedal pull out was either caused by or coincided with a dropped chain. You can see he pauses to clip in, spins quickly for a second, then raises the middle finger in frustration. I think he somehow dumped it off the big chainring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like a dropped chain, the way he spun out afterwards.

Good save by Katusha.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Day 3 shows how much the wind can change the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Stage by Stage - Discussion & Debate (Spoiler Alert) [KarlC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big time. Made for a much more exciting race in the last 15 or so km!
Quote Reply

Prev Next