Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giro Air Attack
Quote | Reply
I just bought the Giro Air Attack. It is my first "aero helmet".

I would like to know from people who have used it in: ¿did you notice any significant time or speed improvements due to aerodynamics?

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack [mpo_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do they still throw-in the free salad tongs?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Significant? Not that I can directly attribute to the helmet.

I've owned a few aero helmets over the years and I've never noticed anything dramatic between all of them. Over a standard road helmet, sure...but it's not going to knock 45 minutes off your IM bike.

I've owned 2 air attacks (both shields). I recently had the first one save my head in a wreck and didn't hesitate to buy a 2nd one right away.

My reasons for purchasing were (in no particular order)

1. I can get my head into a better tuck with a shield but really wanted one that could be removed on the fly for training or long climbs
2. I can train in the AA (sans shield) without looking like a giant spectacle. ie - it looks pretty close to a "normal" helmet.
3. I get hot and I love the airflow of the AA (over my other hero helmets)
4. I could not stand having things cover my ears.
5. It fit my giant melon and was comfortable

Hope my .02 helps
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. It is pretty clear that a helmet won't save you 45 minutes on the bike leg (english is my second language).

But compared to a standard road helmet, it is safe to say that one could expect to see some improvement.

Love the Pain!

Quito-Ecuador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of opinions on aero helmets. Theoretically any of them should improve your time over a "Standard" helmet. The variables in play are many. i.e. does it fit? what is your head position? Do you get hot in it?

End of the day - Pick a helmet that keeps your head safe, works for you, and has some data showing it can at least be somewhat aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love mine. I've found it's probably worth a minute or two over 56 miles vs. my standard road helmet. Too many variables & too small of a sample size to say definitively in my case, but seems to be in line with published data from other manufactures of their aero helmets vs road. And since i'm fairly garbage at holding good form with my head/ neck, I don't have to worry about a big tail fin hanging up in the air.

If it's hot, I wear my road helmet. The air attack isn't super vented, so the physiological cost of running hot on the bike outweighs the extra minute or two for me since I have to run. I've also found on extremely humid days, the shield fogs up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one. I also have an aero helmet.

I don't consider the AA an aero helmet. Better than a pure road helmet? Probably.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an Air Attack shield last year to replace a Louis Garneau Crono. I would guess both are on the low-end of aerodynamics. The air attack is definitely faster for me than the crono because, even though I have a large head, I can fit into a size medium Air Attack - whereas I am a size large in almost every other helmet. The medium is much smaller than the large, and thus a reduced CdA. I'm also pretty happy with the shield / visor instead of glasses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nothing significant...I was in an accident and it saved me from potentially killing myself... so as a helmet it works in that regard. It doesn't rate well against current "aero helmets"... but we're probably splitting hairs.

I really liked the integrated shield and replaced it with a Bell Pro Star Shield.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mpo_tri wrote:
Thanks. It is pretty clear that a helmet won't save you 45 minutes on the bike leg (english is my second language).

But compared to a standard road helmet, it is safe to say that one could expect to see some improvement.

While helmets test very differently on different riders, it will depend on the standard road helmet. There was a test about 2 years ago on bikrerumor (I think). The Evade was the best of the Aero Road group and the Air Attack was the worst. It was also beaten by a couple of standard road helmets. I think the Prevail beat it, but I am old and am not confident in my memory on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aero road helmets tunnel and road tested: http://www.bikeradar.com/...d-road-tested-44719/

Video from the link above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs5KtgdJmso
Quote Reply