Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giro Air Attack Helmet
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else had neck and back pain from the weight or weight imbalance from wearing this helmet?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack Helmet [Blue eyes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No because I don't have this helmet. Is the weight imbalance coming from the attached eye shield.

I'm considering getting it for the price point, past experience with Giro helmets, the aero benefits and the eye shield. I like the way it attaches when not in use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no. I've ridden and raced in it and haven't noticed any unusual pain or discomfort but I may not have ridden in it as much as you- how many miles/hours have you logged in it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. Have done a few 100+ with it, including IMMD.

I, too, like that the shield can be used or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, always comfortable.

Matt
Race-Ready Endurance Training
Team BIKEWAY.com
NYPD Racing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I doubt it has any real weight imbalance. I've done many of 100+ and 200+ mile rides in aero lids (which are heavier) and never had an issue. Reckon you just need to get used to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. Raced and trained in it as my only helmet, and I love it with/without the shield. Recoverie- I highly recommend it. Look for it on sale first though.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack Helmet [TriathlonKid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonKid wrote:
Nope. Raced and trained in it as my only helmet, and I love it with/without the shield. Recoverie- I highly recommend it. Look for it on sale first though.

Thanks for the input and sale advice.

Thoughts about the shield. One review I saw mentioned the shield is adequate when in the aero position, but doesn't offer enough protection when sitting up. What's been your experience? I'll be using my road bike for two more years in tris, so, I'm considering getting the Air Attack without the shield and just use my glasses. Though, having the shield would be handy if the day comes that I actually need it. The price difference between the two versions is $40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blue eyes wrote:
Has anyone else had neck and back pain from the weight or weight imbalance from wearing this helmet?

Granted I've wearing the non shield version for 2 years (2 IM, 2 HIM) but even so if folks are getting neck/back pain from these things..they likely have a hard time keeping their head up period. Cant imagine this actually being a thing..
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack Helmet [Recoverie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, get the shield. I got it for $200, so same as the no visor. So glasses are an option, shield is an option.

As per your sitting up question, don't sit up ;)
I've inly had a tt bike so far, so my above advice holds true. On my new road bike, I'll probably use my Oakleys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Air Attack is my training helmet and I love it, especially with the shield. It's comfy and the shield itself is very clear (when clean!). I've done many longer rides with it and I have never experienced any issues from the weight. Maybe you're just not used to the aero position?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a good helmet and I have never heard anything but good things about it. Personally the Specialized Evade fits my head shape better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
never had an issue. by the the best helmet i've ever used as far as comfort. i love the retention system of the Giro higher end helmets; blows the highly touted Rudy system away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Used the Shield in training and raced IMWales. No problems with weight or comfort. Sometimes a bit of wind under the shield at high speeds. Sometimes a bit of blowback from snot rockets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never. It's a great, comfy helmet that fits me well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no, but i do wonder if there is any real aero advantage vs a traditional helmet
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Air Attack Helmet [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
no, but i do wonder if there is any real aero advantage vs a traditional helmet

Supposedly, there is.

That being said, I'd wouldn't use it as my race helmet. :P
Quote Reply