Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option
Quote | Reply
I have been racing Full & 1/2 Iron distances races with the Giro Aerohead for two seasons now. At a weight of 450g, I find that after a few hours on the bike my neck and back start to tighten up which leads to me coming out of the aero position unnecessarily to stretch out. It seems that most of the weight of the Aerohead is upfront which when hitting bumps, chip-seal, etc it adds more stress to the area.

As a head down rider,long tail helmets aren't really an option. I am looking at the following helmets:

1) Kask Bambino Pro (340g) - Older design, but good enough for Team Sky?

2) POC Cerebel Raceday (380g) - Doesnt look like it vents well, but Rapp's review says otherwise.

3)Smith Podium TT (weight ???) - No indicated weight on Smith's website so I messaged them and they advised weight was 340g, however AeroGeeks.com weighed it in at 408g. Seems like a huge discrepancy here.

I'm not leaning one way or the other and open to other options. Thoughts???
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got a Podium myself, I can try to weigh it tonight, I think the old kitchen scale still works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are all great options, but what about fixing the real problem which is possibly weak back/neck muscles? Or maybe your position is too aggressive leading to back/neck strain.

DashLash wrote:
I have been racing Full & 1/2 Iron distances races with the Giro Aerohead for two seasons now. At a weight of 450g, I find that after a few hours on the bike my neck and back start to tighten up which leads to me coming out of the aero position unnecessarily to stretch out. It seems that most of the weight of the Aerohead is upfront which when hitting bumps, chip-seal, etc it adds more stress to the area.

As a head down rider,long tail helmets aren't really an option. I am looking at the following helmets:

2) POC Cerebel Raceday (380g) - Doesnt look like it vents well, but Rapp's review says otherwise.

3)Smith Podium TT (weight ???) - No indicated weight on Smith's website so I messaged them and they advised weight was 340g, however AeroGeeks.com weighed it in at 408g. Seems like a huge discrepancy here.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Those are all great options, but what about fixing the real problem which is possibly weak back/neck muscles? Or maybe your position is too aggressive leading to back/neck strain.

I don't really think my issues are back/neck muscle in that when I do long rides with my training helmet, a Bontrager Baltista, I don't have any problems. Additionally, I can wear the Aerohead now, it just becomes uncomfortable and irritable after 2.5-3hrs. Fit isn't the issue, it's the ergonomics of my body type (shoulders, back, and neck). My pad stack would be a sky scraper to have me looking directly forward and as of right now, my fit is very comfortable.

Just looking to mitigate the issue to be a little more comfortable.
Last edited by: DashLash: Nov 17, 17 7:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched from an Aerohead to a POC. No issues with ventilation, it's pretty cool. Aerohead was an oven in comparison and the visor was unusable because of fogging. No issues with POC and should be just as fast if you have a low head position.

DashLash wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the exact reason you describe (its too heavy and I feel I run better without the strain of the neck muscles) I switched to Scott Cadence plus Sunglasses, which was as per my kitchen scale 130gr lighter than the Aerohead plus Visor (both size L). I figured if I am sacrificing some aero (have not been to the wind tunnel, so just estimations and feelings), I might as well go with good ventilation for hot races. Some might remember, Sebi said this setup cost him 2 Watts only compared to a real aero helmet, and gives him much better ventilation for Kona. For 2 Watts (even though for me the value will for sure be higher) I will take the lower weight and ventilation any day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both in Med. I originally picked up the Smith because Competitive Cyclist had the weight listed as 330g, quite a bit less than the 450g listed for the Aerohead, and it seemed to have a lot more ventilation than the Aerohead so I was concerned about that in hotter races. The Smith weighs in at 410g while the Aerohead weighs in at 463, so it turns out there really isn't that much difference, so I am not sure where CC got their figure. I will say that the Smith feels lighter, both in the hands and on the head, largely I think due to what you mention about the weight of the Aerohead being up front due to the shape and the visor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Bambino. worn 3 times and just gave solid cleaning. All black
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really like my LG P-09 Weight: 12.4 oz/350 g
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [cdub147] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdub147 wrote:
I have both in Med. I originally picked up the Smith because Competitive Cyclist had the weight listed as 330g, quite a bit less than the 450g listed for the Aerohead, and it seemed to have a lot more ventilation than the Aerohead so I was concerned about that in hotter races. The Smith weighs in at 410g while the Aerohead weighs in at 463, so it turns out there really isn't that much difference, so I am not sure where CC got their figure. I will say that the Smith feels lighter, both in the hands and on the head, largely I think due to what you mention about the weight of the Aerohead being up front due to the shape and the visor.

Very good information, thank you!

Not sure why Smith is trying to hide its actual weight. One thing that is nice about the Smith is that it comes with several lenses and a case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just rereading Rapps review, the POC weighs 408g not 380 as advertised. So 1g difference between the Smith and POC.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the Ballista is comfortable, how much time are you really giving up? The cadence was only 2 watts versus true aero helmet. I can't imagine the ballista is any worse given O'Donnell wears it.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Indeed. If Jens Voight decided it was worth taking the aero hit when doing the hour record wearing one, I doubt the difference is worth worrying about.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [jdais] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jdais wrote:
Really like my LG P-09 Weight: 12.4 oz/350 g
Yup. Me too. Rode with an Aerohead one time and went right back to my PO9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

having spent a few hundred hours in the wind tunnel with a ton of different people I'd not be so sure that long tails are that bad for a head down rider. Depends on the rider. Not they may not be comfy for you but don't discount them

The KASK is a great helmet if you're in the M40-49 AG's. Otherwise meh

The Poc seems to do pretty well for a decent size segment. Plus visors are awesome

haven't tested the smith that I can recall

food for thought

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you should work on neck strength, it really not that heavy of a helmet.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey desert dude,

What aero helmets worked with a large segment of the market? I recall you saying the LG09 albeit sans visor... I think as well the aerohead (despite the weight). Any other ones?

At the risk of hijacking the thread - I too just bought an aerohead despite concerns of the weight. The LG09 just didn't fit well... And my 6 yr old LG superleggera got beat up last time I traveled with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello DashLash and All,

You can relax your neck and help avoid Shermer's Neck Syndrome.

Just sayin' ......... http://www.view-speed.com

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giro A2 is pretty fast on most ppl

ejd_mil wrote:
Hey desert dude,

What aero helmets worked with a large segment of the market? I recall you saying the LG09 albeit sans visor... I think as well the aerohead (despite the weight). Any other ones?

At the risk of hijacking the thread - I too just bought an aerohead despite concerns of the weight. The LG09 just didn't fit well... And my 6 yr old LG superleggera got beat up last time I traveled with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
Maybe you should work on neck strength, it really not that heavy of a helmet.

See my above post.... I don’t seem to be the only one that thinks that the helmet is heavy up front and is uncomfortable after a few hours in the saddle. Like the wind tunnel, something that works great for one person may not work well for another. We are all built different.

Ended up buying the Smith Podium TT. Found it on Bikes Direct for $280 shipped to my door step. Chose it over the POC due to more vents and less of a chance the lens foging up, something that the POC is prone to from reviews I have read.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:

having spent a few hundred hours in the wind tunnel with a ton of different people I'd not be so sure that long tails are that bad for a head down rider. Depends on the rider. Not they may not be comfy for you but don't discount them

The KASK is a great helmet if you're in the M40-49 AG's. Otherwise meh

The Poc seems to do pretty well for a decent size segment. Plus visors are awesome

haven't tested the smith that I can recall

food for thought

Thanks Brian, very much appreciate your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just re: the POC. In comparison to the s-works tt, are they shaped similarly? Aside form the air vents in the latter, im having a hard time really separating them from each other, they look very close
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are not shaped similarly at all (if you mean the external shape). The POC has a very short "tail" if you will whereas the S-Works TT is a much "longer" helmet.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i havent seen them side by side, just going off pics. I didnt realise the poc was much shorter than the sworks. The latter isnt a huge tail really either i guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s not a long tail helmet but it’s definitely not a short tail helmet either. The S-Works TT is about an inch shorter than my A2 (I’m looking at both of them right now... I can post a side by side if you like).
Quote Reply

Prev Next