Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!.
Quote | Reply
I know I posted about this yesterday, but here's a step by step description with pictures on how I did it. I was scared as hell I was going to ruin my helmet, but it worked out fine.

I have the Advantage 1, and I was using the new style windscreen with the cutouts.

I took a boxcutter and starting from the side of helmet nearest where the foam ends at the earpiece, I carefully and slowly inserted the blade between the foam and the helmet shell. The plastic is thicker and more resilient than it looks. Each time I inserted the blade, I would pry the plastic away from the foam a little. You need to move carefully and slowly to not damage the foam or scrape the paint from inside the helmet shell. Continue all the way round the front of the helmet. At the earpieces, I just used my fingers to pry away the foam. It's held on by a two-sided tape.

Insert the visor starting at one of the sides, then the other side, and slide the middle part in last. There is enough friction to hold the visor in place without using any tape or glue, plus you can easily pull it out and put in a different color visor if you want. You may need to use some double sided scotch tape on the earpieces to hold them onto the visor where it goes behind the earpieces.

Here are some pictures.

Here you can see how to line up the cutouts with the side of the helmet.

Here I'm pulling the earpiece back so you can see how the windscreen fits in.

Badass.

-All You Haters Suck My Balls-
Last edited by: jhaggard29: Apr 25, 09 13:59
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [jhaggard29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like you're spending too much time and money on triathlon and not enough of home maintenance.

Hook up that deck with some stain and scrape/paint those windows!!!

Quote | Reply
It's a rental.

Kill my landlord;
Kill my landlord.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [jhaggard29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just completed my helmet. Followed your instructions. Worked great. Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [cervelobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
isn't your landlord your parents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what kind of visor is that?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [cervelobob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its an LG visor. The new one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's beautiful!

One reason I didn't go for Advantage 2 was because I prefer a visor. Guess I'll start lookin again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I think you might have gotten a defective one...there's some sort of funky slots in the visor.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that a (bad) joke?

This combination is awesome. I'm not sure the giro advantage 2 is the best helmet out there but I really like it with the visor inserted. Sunglasses are for suckers.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

I think you might have gotten a defective one...there's some sort of funky slots in the visor.

Thats the way it came dude.

I just rode this thing for 40 miles the other day. It was awesome. I thought it would be hot, but the cutouts actually channel a nice breeze through so its tolerable. I'm very happy with it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Thats the way it came dude.

I just rode this thing for 40 miles the other day. It was awesome. I thought it would be hot, but the cutouts actually channel a nice breeze through so its tolerable. I'm very happy with it.

I know...and I was just makin' a little fun at your expense...sorry ;-)

It would probably make more sense if you knew that ALL of the vents on my LG Rocket are taped closed :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what are you going to do when you want to flip the visor up?

ever ridden a race with rain, fog or you needed to wipe the sweat off your face while riding?

those visors can and do fog up. hope you have radar to steer your bike then
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [Jimmy C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what are you going to do when you want to flip the visor up?

ever ridden a race with rain, fog or you needed to wipe the sweat off your face while riding?

those visors can and do fog up. hope you have radar to steer your bike then

Well...I think you might be mistakenly replying to me instead of the OP (since on my LG Rocket, the visor is "flippable")...but, in reality, since my testing has shown no difference for me with or without the visor drag-wise on the LG Rocket (I wear it mostly for noise reduction and to keep "critters" out of my helmet), if it's a "fogging" type of day, I just leave it off ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a great way to invalidate the warranty on your Giro helmet!!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [Chubbly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buzzkill.

Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [Chubbly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What a great way to invalidate the warranty on your Giro helmet!!
Seriously?

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. That's actually kinda cool. I always wondered if those LG visors would work on that model. Nice!
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [RACERX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any custom modifications to safety gear by an end user will definitely invalidate the safety certifications that the helmet has attained. It may look cool but definitely not a smart thing to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously, dude. GTFO with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you send some pics off to Giro and ask what they think? Here is the address http://www.giro.com/site/#/company/contact/

A helmet is a safety device not a fashion accessory
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lighten up Frances

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [RACERX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about I send them this:

Or this:

Or I could direct them to Felt's banner ad on this very website that shows 2 pro cyclists pominently sporting the Giro helmet with an attached visor.

But I'm sure you've already dimed us all out.

Tell me exactly how adding the visor will affect this helmets ability to protect my head from injury in a crash. I added the visor for the possible aero advantage, and the ability to to not have my vision interefered with by the top frame of my sunglasses.

Your comment about fashion statements did get me to thinking, so just for you Chubbly, I went downstairs and wrote AYH*SMB on the front of it.

See you at the races. Feel free to point me out to the USAT officials, narc.

Last edited by: jhaggard29: Apr 27, 09 7:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, isnt there some rule againt modifying safety equipment for races? Tho a good quality mod will be hard to spot.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Advantage with LG Windscreen Conversion w/ Pictures!. [SProboscis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Also, isnt there some rule againt modifying safety equipment for races? Tho a good quality mod will be hard to spot.
5.9 Helmets. (a) Type of Helmet. All participants shall wear a protective head cover, undamaged and unaltered, which meets or exceeds the safety standards of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).

Laaame.
Quote Reply

Prev Next