Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off.....
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am hoping someone who owns a Giant Trinity Advanced Prod could help me out. I have just taken delivery of this bike, each time I have taken it out on the road, the front hydration bottle has dropped off. I haven't exactly been taking it on pot holed roads, just normal UK roads with the bottle around half full of liquid.

The bottle appears to be fitted correctly, it just snaps in one one plastic clip from what I can see. Could anyone who has the same bike as this confirm that their setup is the same as what I see? I am taking this back to my local Giant retailer too, I'd just like to know if this is an issue specific to my bike, or a more general issue that others have experienced. I don't know anyone else with his type of bike to compare with.

1). Photo with hydration system off:

2). Mounting Bracket

3). Mounting bracket hangs on over the screw head, its not screwed in, just sits on:

4). With water bottle slotted into position:

The bottle feels secure, but obviously not the case. Any assistance from other Giant Trinity Advance owners would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

smt1975.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [Smt1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Typical UK roads ... lol

I have ejected a high 5 bottle and a torpedo bottle from my BTA no problem. It seems to coincide with high frequency buzz rather than sudden / sharp / single hits.

Continued rough roads at high speed seem to do the trick, I can see it start to edge forward and it's always at the point where I least want to let go of the bars to grab it ! Sound familiar ?

Hopefully someone with the same system as you will chime in with a simple fix - hope you get it sorted :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [Smt1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to make sure, are you adding the bracket that holds the bottom of the bottle? It doesn't look like it's there in the second pic, can't tell in the third. This isn't a close up of it, but you can see it in this pic.[/img]
Last edited by: TerwooRd: May 30, 16 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM DrexelTri ... he had this same issue and figured out a hack to fix it
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you get that...post it up here.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [TerwooRd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi TerwooRd,

Thanks for the picture, I think my setup must be slightly different.

Here is a picture of the bottom bracket which slides on to the bottom of the bottle, it does not attach onto the frame in any way:

It sits on the bottle base and appears to just be an aero feature, rather than a connecting mechanism, which is what is depicted in your photo:

I'll show this picture to my Giant retailer and see what they say, in case there are different versions of the bottle, I wouldn't have thought so, as the bike is relatively new, butwhat you have would appear to be a better configuration that what I have!

Thanks again,

smt1975.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I hear ya!. Lost mine on my first race in January, rode over a joiner in a bridge at a 70.3 and lost the whole thing. I had to stop and turn around to put it all back on. The bottle was punctured! Empty water for the last 30km, not ideal.
When it's full, it's most vulnerable. I now duct tape the mounting plate to the fork (black tape of course) and then tape the Bottle to the mount. You'll only need a couple of strips. Haven't lost it since, 3000km later.
It's a fast bike, but I don't think they put enough thought into the design. I would like a bigger diameter straw too!
Good luck, I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [LennoxLocal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi - I have the Trinity and the base bit is not just a aero attachment but is attached to the frame. Used mine a few times and seems secure (I hope!).

There are different size bottles with attachments I think. I run a small being vertically challenged!

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [Sensei40] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Looking at your photos, you have a metal bracket missing off the bottom of the underside bottle mount which is meant to attach it securely to the headtube. Your top attachment point should be screwed down under the stem bracket as well. My bottle is really secure, to the point of getting it off is ridiculously hard.
I do all my own bike building so I managed to get hold of a dealer only Trinity build manual if you would like a copy. Send me your email address and I will send it to you if required.

Chris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, like greeny said, I see yours is missing the L-shaped part that bolts to the head tube
Last edited by: TerwooRd: May 31, 16 7:54
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [TerwooRd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TerwooRd wrote:
Yeah, like greeny said, I see yours is missing the L-shaped part that bolts to the head tube

^yup! The lower bottle holder bolts into the L-shaped metal bracket with a very small bolt. Then, you bolt the L-shaped bracket to the front-of-fork cover.
Now, the bottom of the bottle slides into the L-bracket and holder and clips into the stem mounted piece. Much more secure.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for this, I'll pass this on to my Giant retailer so that they can get this resolved.

They now have the bike and were speaking to Giant UK about this, but this clears up exactly what the issue is.

Thanks again.

Smt1975.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [greeny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

If you could forward me a copy of the build manual that would be much appreciated, my address is stefan.treacy@gmail.com.

Thanks,

Stefan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Stefan,

I've emailed you the document. Let me know if you don't receive it.

Chris.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [greeny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Greeny,

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have been having all sorts of problems with my front bottle. I have currently done a DIY fix involving black velcro but now I realise why I'm having so many issues. Would it be possible to forward me a copy of the dealer only manual too so I can see what else my dealer may have missed?

Thank you

craigburrows@me.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [twirpburrows] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All -
New to the forum but just two quick questions...

Has anyone found a long enough straw for the front hydration? and
Does anyone have any suggestion as how to fill up the front bottle while riding?

I just purchased a new Trinity Pro and it's great but I'm having trouble figuring out how to get the front bottle full without most of it on the bike or me...

Thanks for letting me pitch in...
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [cleetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Cleetri,

In regards to the straw. I ordered some of this from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271898835440

It's pretty solid in regards to stiffness and seems much more durable than the stock straw. In addition to that, you can also cut it to length so I found that the stock one was too short so needed something a little longer. Works perfectly. (just make sure you get the right external width)

Filling the front hydration up on the fly is a bit hit and miss for me depending on which bottle I use to fill it up (you need a bottle with a long lid and one that only lets out liquid when you squirt it (i.e camelback podium). I have swapped my bars for ski extensions which makes it even harder to get a bottle in there to fill it up. I also have a SMALL frame so the front hydration only carries about 400ml or so.

In light of this I now pretty much use the front hydration for plain water only and sometimes add a hydration tab myself afterwards.

Hope this helps

Craig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't had any issues with the unit falling off, but only used it a couple of times. It seems like it is on pretty snug to me. I have both the top bracket and bottom bracket bolted to the bike. The issue I have is the darn thing leaking all over the bike and the fact that it's nearly impossible to refill while riding without getting half the bottle on your bike instead.
Last edited by: mcgong: Jul 15, 16 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [mcgong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While mine hasn't fallen off I am keen to get everyone's thoughts. I haven't tested it full of water and it seems secure enough. However the mounting bracket seems to bounce loose as soon as I hit the smallest of bumps. It's still attached via the bolt it sits into at the top and still holds the bottle in place but the bracket itself jiggles around between the frame and bottle and makes a horrible noise.

Not sure if the 2016 Australian model is different but I don't have the same bracket under the bottle as posted above. Infact apart from the top bolt the whole hydration system doesn't seem to be attached to the frame at all.

Any ideas? I'll be showing it to the dealer in the next couple of weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [Fatrobo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put a strip of black Velcro on both sides of the bottle to keep it in place. got tired of it launching off the bike after medium bumps. I do agree it is a pain to fill up on the fly. the only way to do it is have a squirt top bottle. anything else and you basically have to stop.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My LBS is a pretty solid Giant dealer and came up with a good way to secure the bottle that involves drilling (calm down it's not the frame) into the bottle and the mount and running a zip tie between them. I had the same problem all of you guys are having, my bottle launched off and I had to get a new one on warranty and then we came up with this solution. Be sure that you have the bottom mount attached as well. Note there is a small screw which attached to the bottom of the bottle itself. I will post photos tonight.

As far as the straw, I went over to Home Depot and picked up a roll of tubing. Can't think of the exact size off the top of by head but I have it setup similarly to the way Kienle did on his Scott; it comes out of the bottle and does not rise up straight but instead is pulled back and secured near the stem. When I want to drink, I reach down and grab it, not a big hassle.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [mcgong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the cover on with the slits? What about the inside cover? I took out the inside cover and have the outside cover with slits. When I am riding and need to refill I just pop the top on my normal bottle, shove it in the cover and squeeze the water out of the normal bottle. I found with the inside cover/guard it gets caught on the bottle and when you pull the bottle out the covers come with it. You can also put a small strip of electrical tape on the leading edge of the outside cover.

Disclaimer: when you remove the inside cover and have the outside cover with slits on, water will shoot out when you hit bumps for a bit until the water level is lower. It doesn't take long to drink enough of the water to minimize this and it really isn't that big of a deal. You're going to be wet/sweaty anyways more than likely.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [APKTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried a couple of different things, even the things you mentioned. Besides it leaking from the fill hole, it also leaks at the straw from me too. Regular water is fine, but anything else leaves the bike a huge mess. I just a BTA bottle now and have grown accustomed to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All,
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I had a question on the forward water bottle.
I'm interested in buying a Trinity Advanced Pro, although at the moment I mainly compete in Time Trials. I was planning to move onto longer distance/duration
TT's and also some triathlons in the near future - hence why the Tri version of the bike appeals more than the pure (UCI legal) TT version.
For shorter distance TT's I would want to remove the forward bottle and brackets etc. From some of photos posted in this thread it does look like this is
possible...and that without the bottle and bracket you are left with a neat integrated stem/fork which looks pretty much like the TT version of the bike.
Can anyone confirm that this is correct?...and if possible post a few pics showing the forward detail of bike with bottle and bracket removed.
Many thanks in advance.

N
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Trinity Advanced Pro Front Hydration System - Falling Off..... [n72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you remove the front bottle and bracket, it will look just like the UCI version.

I didn't specifically test that in the wind tunnel, but why would you want to? Integrated front bottles are nearly always beneficial, even if they are empty. (I did test with/without the triangle aero bottle...was faster with it than without.)
Quote Reply

Prev Next