Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giant Tri bikes...
Quote | Reply
Anyone else find the women's version 'LIV' tri bikes are way nicer looking design than the mens trinity??
Why do they make two totally different bikes for men and women? I know Trek at least used to have a 'women's' version of the SC, but the only diff was the paint, not a completely different frame...
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Tri bikes... [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup.

the trinity is butt-ugly.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Tri bikes... [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
yup.

the trinity is butt-ugly.

Agree, which is unfortunate, because I really believe Giant offers a very good value/price point for their bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Anyone else find the women's version 'LIV' tri bikes are way nicer looking design than the mens trinity??...
Yep, I agree completely!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Anyone else find the women's version 'LIV' tri bikes are way nicer looking design than the mens trinity??
Why do they make two totally different bikes for men and women? I know Trek at least used to have a 'women's' version of the SC, but the only diff was the paint, not a completely different frame...

Clever marketing. Liv bikes are very popular in my part of the world with the ladies. Great colours and a bike designed for women (marketing speak).
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Tri bikes... [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironnerd wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

Clever marketing. Liv bikes are very popular in my part of the world with the ladies. Great colours and a bike designed for women (marketing speak).

I know several women who have them too, very popular. Could have been a popular mens bike too though with different graphics for the guys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Ironnerd wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

I know several women who have them too, very popular. Could have been a popular mens bike too though with different graphics for the guys.

how much would custom paint run?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was actually considering one when i went for a new bike last year,Like there paintjobs more than anything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not cheap. I've looked into that in the past for my Trek SC, checked prices at a couple of Canadian places, and a bunch in the US. For a proper paint job, pretty much looking at least 1k US for basic.
Or, did you mean for Giant themselves to do it? No idea, and guess thats not what they are interested in.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Jan 26, 18 5:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The funny thing is that I usually think they look nice when set up properly. The pics on giant's website are honestly the worst pictures I've ever seen of the bike.

I also find it interesting that giant could add value by including some actually nice wheels on the top specs. I've heard good things about their deep section wheels, but instead they include shallow ones even on their top spec.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Avow also comes with nicer wheels. And, I completely agree Giant makes a fantastic bike - their quality is top notch.
I used to work for a Giant dealer and we sold more Liv bikes than their men's bikes. They run the two 'sides' of the company much differently. I think that side of the company just does a better job connecting to their customer base.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Tri bikes... [PennBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if some of this has to do with some brands offering the bikes initially as just a UCI legal TT bike instead of it being a triathlon bike. Then you could modify or add to it as you please for triathlon.

That can make two bikes look totally different. IMHO.

FWIW, a lot of the looks difference from a tri and UCI legal bike is in the tube profiles from the UCI regs about the ratio of the tube sections or something like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Tri bikes... [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
The funny thing is that I usually think they look nice when set up properly. The pics on giant's website are honestly the worst pictures I've ever seen of the bike.

I also find it interesting that giant could add value by including some actually nice wheels on the top specs. I've heard good things about their deep section wheels, but instead they include shallow ones even on their top spec.

True. Their pics of the Trinity make them look like junk, but then seeing somebody ride one is totally great. And Giant offers a huge bang for the buck. They own the factory that most other bike companies use to make their stuff, so you can get the best carbon for the same or less than other company's second-rate stuff. We got a Giant Propel Advanced 1 for my son and I was blown away by the frame quality and the full-Ultegra grouppo we got for a steal.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Tri bikes... [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
imswimmer328 wrote:

True. Their pics of the Trinity make them look like junk, but then seeing somebody ride one is totally great. And Giant offers a huge bang for the buck. They own the factory that most other bike companies use to make their stuff, so you can get the best carbon for the same or less than other company's second-rate stuff. We got a Giant Propel Advanced 1 for my son and I was blown away by the frame quality and the full-Ultegra grouppo we got for a steal.

I haven't seen one in the wild, just photos, so I reserve the right to change my opinion.

Giant needs better photographers, if thats the case. And do something about the front brake cable (pet peeve). Either just use a regular brake or get that cable run internally somehow.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At age group nationals a couple years ago the guy racked right in front of me had one. Looked slick. Plus the "official giant trinity" thread has some cool pictures, and Tom Demoulan's whole setup is pretty flawless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2017 Trinity, the orange one with Ultegra Di2... now with DA Di2. When I first built it up and with the stock wheels it looked horrible, but after some tinkering with the setup, component swap-outs and nicer wheels I have it looking pretty good and fully dialed in for fit now and actually really like it! I find myself riding this as my go-to bike nowadays instead of my 2016 Speed Concept or 2015 Felt IA FRD.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Tri bikes... [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm really tired of the "WOMEN LIKE COLORFUL DESIGNS AND MEN LIKE BLACK AND WHITE AND MAYBE RED SQUARES" that seems so pervasive through a lot of men's triathlon design. You see it in bikes (the Trinity vs the Avow) and in a lot of clothing too. The Trinity is a solid bike with some nice little features, but that thing is a pig. I can understand function over looks, but oosh, crosses my line.

I have semi-seriously toyed with looking into making some better looking triathlon gear, because most of it is just so boring.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply