Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Giant Goes There: Says Their Disc Brakes Are More Aero Than Calipers
Quote | Reply
There is a fool born every minute. There will be some posting in this thread:

Quote:
Interestingly, Giant also says that during aerodynamic testing its disc-brake integration produced less drag than traditional caliper brakes.

Giant says that the clean fork crown area, created by placing the disc-brake calipers down at the hub, makes the bike more slippery as the air hitting the new disc-brake caliper – that’s mounted flat against the bike – has already been disrupted by the leading edge of the tire/wheel.

Unlike the new design, the location of traditional calipers (either in front or behind the fork crown/legs) creates “dirty” turbulent air that slows a bike down.

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...disc-equipped-347790
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Goes There: Says Their Disc Brakes Are More Aero Than Calipers [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only fool is those who can't accept that disc brakes are coming whether you like it or not.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Goes There: Says Their Disc Brakes Are More Aero Than Calipers [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes were already on mountain bikes two decades ago. Wonder why road and Tri bikes didn't get them? Because disc brakes suck for road and Tri use.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Goes There: Says Their Disc Brakes Are More Aero Than Calipers [Hybridlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The entire bicycle industry disagrees with you. I will go get the popcorn and wait for Tom A.'s arrival to this thread.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Goes There: Says Their Disc Brakes Are More Aero Than Calipers [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike manufacturers want to fool people into spending more money on a new road & Tri bike with disc brakes because they want to get rich, not because disc brakes are good for road & Tri use. I wonder how many of the people that are going to respond are actually paid shills for the bike manufacturers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you think they are so bad for road and tri?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

They really are not bad for road or tri they are really not needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've read that there's a move to disc braking because rim breaking has a tendency to deform(melt?) full carbon, shallow dish (climbing wheels) rims, though this may be somewhat mitigated by the layer of aluminum now added to many of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Goes There: Says Their Disc Brakes Are More Aero Than Calipers [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbon rims do not have a layer of aluminum in them. They are 100% full carbon rims. Better braking in all conditions is why there is a move to disc brakes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1- Ping, ping, ping, goes the micro-meter out of true disc against the disc caliper. Enough to drive anyone insane.

2- Disc brakes are much heavier and less aero than caliper brakes

3- Disc brakes are much more expensive than caliper brakes

4- You can't adjust disc brakes mid race like you can easily do with caliper brakes

5- You can't swap wheels with disc brakes from neutral service. And even if you could, you would get a huge amount of rub because discs in every set of wheels you use have to be micrometer aligned for the specific setup on your bike

6- It is far easier to damage disc brakes than calipers. Ooop! Did your bike just tip over? Your race is over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Better braking in all conditions. --Overkill. It has been stated we don't brake too much during triathlon events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More simply, what is the problem with rim brakes in road/tri/tt use for which disc brakes are the solution?

ETA: which is the same question I have about mechanical and electronic groupsets.
Last edited by: Greg66: Aug 28, 17 12:01
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Goes There: Says Their Disc Brakes Are More Aero Than Calipers [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Better braking in all conditions. --Overkill. It has been stated we don't brake too much during triathlon events.

You are missing the point. 99% of the time you are training on your bike, not racing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
You are missing the point. 99% of the time you are training on your bike, not racing.

If you are braking 99% of the time, you should take up downhill mountain biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
BryanD wrote:

If you are braking 99% of the time, you should take up downhill mountain biking.

You also have completely missed the point.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
It's not that they are bad, they are unnecessary for the most part. If you brake long and hard enough to over heat a rim, you would most likely also have a disc brake fade on you.

The bike industry sees the next cash cow.....phasing out rim brakes and forcing us all to buy new, much more expensive wheels when we need a new frame. I have a power tap disc, and 2 other power tap wheels. They will all be useless, along with my Jet9+ Enve 66 front and my others. And anyone who thinks that disc brakes are less maintenance are in for an awakening. When I get home today I have to fix the rear caliper on one of my MTBs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
You also have completely missed the point.

You mean I didn't fall for the marketing material?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not denying that the bike industry is looking for something new to sell. They have done the same thing with marginal aero gains. No amount of whining on Slowtwitch is going to stop the transition though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I'm not denying that the bike industry is looking for something new to sell. They have done the same thing with marginal aero gains. No amount of whining on Slowtwitch is going to stop the transition though.

Speaking of marginal aero gains, that downtube on the new Giant Propel isn't even a kamn tail like they claim. It is just a rectangular box. Every bike claiming to have kamn tails these days are just another marketing lie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:
1- Ping, ping, ping, goes the micro-meter out of true disc against the disc caliper. Enough to drive anyone insane.

2- Disc brakes are much heavier and less aero than caliper brakes

3- Disc brakes are much more expensive than caliper brakes

4- You can't adjust disc brakes mid race like you can easily do with caliper brakes

5- You can't swap wheels with disc brakes from neutral service. And even if you could, you would get a huge amount of rub because discs in every set of wheels you use have to be micrometer aligned for the specific setup on your bike

6- It is far easier to damage disc brakes than calipers. Ooop! Did your bike just tip over? Your race is over.
Pretty much spot on with every point. Rotors go out of true all the time, and it's really hard to get them back to perfect. There isn't much room between the disc pads. We all chase really marginal gains and having a rotor rub pads ever so slightly would drive me nuts on my tt bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Giant Goes There: Says Their Disc Brakes Are More Aero Than Calipers [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:

But when I do, and the brakes work poorly, imy life flashes before my eyes; running into a rock in Buffalo Springs, Texas and a car in Lake Tahoe.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well now that new frames and wheels arent getting any more aero, I suppose the industry had to do something to drive the next round of sales. Mountain bikes and disk brakes - yes. Road/tri - other than for wet conditions and huge descents to give extra confidence, pretty pointless IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:

Quote:

Interestingly, Giant also says that during aerodynamic testing its disc-brake integration produced less drag than traditional caliper brakes.

Giant says that the clean fork crown area, created by placing the disc-brake calipers down at the hub, makes the bike more slippery as the air hitting the new disc-brake caliper – that’s mounted flat against the bike – has already been disrupted by the leading edge of the tire/wheel.

Unlike the new design, the location of traditional calipers (either in front or behind the fork crown/legs) creates “dirty” turbulent air that slows a bike down.

I see a lot of claims there with no data to back them up...and some interesting "couching" of the comparisons (i.e. comparing to to "traditional caliper brakes", as opposed to integrated brakes, like their previous version used - although a fairly poorly working implementation).

Show me the data!

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hybridlete wrote:

Quote:

Then I am a fool and I am posting on this thread!!! I believe that with rim and disc brakes it is the quality of the design that makes either one aero and no negligible difference. I am not going to criticize you for preferring rim brakes, but your snide comments calling anyone who thinks disc brakes can be aero are fools is not very open minded.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
The only fool is those who can't accept that disc brakes are coming whether you like it or not.
Don't care one way or the other. My wish is to have the disc brakes standardized so we can swap wheels on race day and not worry about whether or not they will fit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next