Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting the competitive edge ....
Quote | Reply
It's Friday and that means we need a long drawn out thread where we can all weigh in and be right. We've all seen them before so I figured I'd try to ask fellow STers a few questions:

Do you have anything that gives you a competitive edge? Supplements, special nutrition, routines? Do you have a favorite song that ignites the competitor in you? I'm curious to find out what things others are doing to get in the proper mind space. I'll start off with my own.

1. Animal Pack Supplements, Cordyceps and Rhodiola
2. Eucalyptus Oil on cotton balls in my nose while in transition preparing
3. Chia seed pudding the week of the race every day
4. 500ml of disgusting raw beet root juice morning of race

Let me have it, tell me what you do to get your edge.

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: cshowe80: Aug 29, 14 6:40
Quote Reply
Re: Getting the competitive edge .... [cshowe80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me there is a difference between participating and competing. As a lame cyclist, when I do a road race, I am just happy to be there and playing with others. I have no intention of winning or placing. As a fast-ish runner I am more of a competitor, and consequently I do expect to win or place. Being part of the race holds no joy or appeal for me.

What I do to get "that edge" when I do choose to compete is 1st of all, do research on who my competition is. Having done local and regional races for a dozen years, I pretty much know who the players are. A Sportstats search usually comes up with some valuable information. Having realistic expectations about who I am competing against gives me an edge.

That's a starting point.

and a few random thoughts

Music - Du Hast - Rammstein

Video - Jens Voigt "shut up legs"

...I think the Germans have the market corned on aggression

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Getting the competitive edge .... [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My competitive edge.... I think my CdA is lower than most of my competition so I'm going the same speed on 20-30 fewer watts.... or my right leg is a lot stronger than my left and I'm making 20-30 watts more power than i think I am.

My work home and lap pool are a triangle with distances roughly 5' or 2 miles apart.

I don't stress about my diet or specific pre-race routines, meals supplements etc. I eat food. I eat food I like. I eat healthy most of the time.

I've only DNF'd once in my life that I can remember....

... ironically at the race hosted by University of Wisconsin cycling club, at a course near Mt. Horeb... where I'll be doing my first IM 15 years later. I guess it's never too late for a little revenge.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply