Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting back into running while keeping my cycling fitness
Quote | Reply
Hello,
I need your advice on how to add trail running to my cycling. I am a long time road/MTB racer, I ride about 9 to 10 hours per week. Several LOTOJA (206 mi, one day) top 10 finishes, and several 24 hour MTB races. I need a new endurance challenge and I hate running so what better challenge than to take up trail running. My goal is do RAGNAR Zion trail run in April (3 mi, 5 mi and 8 mi loop), then the Mid Mountain Marathon in Sept (26.1 trail miles) and if I can make a go of both of those injury free, I have this crazy idea of attempting an Ultra 50, probably the following year but not sure on which one, too far out to really think about right now. Also, I won't be doing any competitive cycling but I don't want to lose too much of the gains that I have made.

Here is my question. I want to slowly add running to my bike training but not sure the best way to go about it. Once this cycling/race season is over my bike hours will drop down to around 3 to 4 hours per week, basically to just maintain my current power (FTP 325). At that point I want to slowly introduce trail running, slowly to avoid injury. I use to run but had problems with PF and a heel spur which is what got me into cycling.

Should I bike and run on the same day or should I bike one day run the following day. I understand everybody is different I just wanted some advice from others who bike and run.

Maybe

Mon: Bike 1 hour, run some distance
Tues: off
Wed: bike 1 hour, run some distance
Thurs: off
Fri: bike one hour, short run
Sat: long run
Sun: off

OR

Mon: Bike 1 hour, run some distance
Tues: run some distance
Wed: bike 1 hour
Thurs: run some distance
Fri: bike one hour
Sat: long run
Sun: off

Or something else????

I hope this makes sense and I'm not rambling too much. Thanks in advance!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into running while keeping my cycling fitness [t-mobile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Start now, loose 10 min jog, to get your joints and muscles used to it. You want to ease into it for your PF and spur issues too, to see how they go. Build very slowly. It's easy to hurt yourself when you're fit by overuse on tissues that aren't used to it. I'm not expert, but take the cautious approach.
Consider doing your first ones soon after a bike effort, so your tissues are warmed up for the first trail jog. The uneven ground can sometimes get you when you're not used to it (again, a cumulative thing).
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into running while keeping my cycling fitness [t-mobile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to run again just now too, I'm a bit crazier as I signed up for a 20k Labor Day. But run one day rest or ride the next. Let the tendons get into it. Ride to recover almost

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use the Barry P 123 plan. (Do a search) I was a fairly decent runner and I saw some good gains after starting to use it.
The great thing is you can build up slowly.
Maybe start with below if you are just starting back and have a history of running injuries. Minutes can change to KM or miles as you build.

Mon 20 mins
Tues 10 mins
Wed 30 mins
Thur 10 mins
Fri 20 mins
Sat 10 mins
Sun off

Put your biking on the easy days ( Tue, THur, Sat and Sunday)

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote | Reply
Beanster wrote:
Use the Barry P 123 plan. (Do a search) I was a fairly decent runner and I saw some good gains after starting to use it.
The great thing is you can build up slowly.
Maybe start with below if you are just starting back and have a history of running injuries. Minutes can change to KM or miles as you build.

Mon 20 mins
Tues 10 mins
Wed 30 mins
Thur 10 mins
Fri 20 mins
Sat 10 mins
Sun off

Put your biking on the easy days ( Tue, THur, Sat and Sunday)

I had the same results. When I've deviated from the plan in larger builds to get in longer runs, I always get some sort of injury. I think I can almost look at my PMC now and predict when I'll get injured.

Actually it's very PMC friendly. Never creates any dramatic spikes in training load until you start adding higher paced runs. But I'd actually caution that when you do so, you might attempt to keep training load constant instead and maybe do a TSS based BarryP. So build a peak build week 40/80/40/120/40/80/0. Thsi for me would be a roughly 50mi week. Easy run pace is about 8 TSS/mile. Tempo is around 10. So if doing intervals, you might keep it to 7-8 miles instead of 10 miles on the medium runs.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply