Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting back into Triathlons with limited time!
Quote | Reply
I need some advice on how to get back into competing in triathlons

Last year my wife and I had twins and with 3 kids, working out became non-existent. I put on about 30lbs and lost all fitness. For 2015 I am dying to get back to competing again, but am so limited in time I am not sure what to do. I am frustrated because I am not sure what I should be focusing on to get back into shape. For the past month I have been running only because I figure that is the best way to burn calories and try and get by weight down. But the goal is to get back in shape and compete in some sprint triathlons this year, not just lose the weight. So is this approach right?
In the past I usually worked out either twice a day, or for longer times on the weekend, but those days are gone for now. My new job has a small fitness center with weights, treadmills exercise bikes, etc. But usually I only get about an hour at lunch a day. I can get to the pool twice a week.
Is anyone in the same situation or have any advice on how I should be training to get back competing again. Anybody got some good ideas for getting good training in while limited in time?
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into Triathlons with limited time! [muebele] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what it sounds like you have everything you need. You didn't say how much time/yardage you are able to get into your two swims. If you can get about 3000 yds each time, consisting of mostly 100's and 50's on short rest, IMO you should be good for the swim portion of a sprint. Four runs a week on your gym treadmill and three to four solid trainer sessions you'd be set. If you don't have a trainer it is a wonderful investment for a time crunched person, hell you could even see about bringing to the office gym.

Others could chime in with more technical jargon for your interval stuff but I'd think if you could swing 8-10 hours a week you'd be golden.

Good luck
Trav

Quote | Reply
muebele wrote:
I need some advice on how to get back into competing in triathlons

Last year my wife and I had twins and with 3 kids, working out became non-existent. I put on about 30lbs and lost all fitness. For 2015 I am dying to get back to competing again, but am so limited in time I am not sure what to do. I am frustrated because I am not sure what I should be focusing on to get back into shape. For the past month I have been running only because I figure that is the best way to burn calories and try and get by weight down. But the goal is to get back in shape and compete in some sprint triathlons this year, not just lose the weight. So is this approach right?
In the past I usually worked out either twice a day, or for longer times on the weekend, but those days are gone for now. My new job has a small fitness center with weights, treadmills exercise bikes, etc. But usually I only get about an hour at lunch a day. I can get to the pool twice a week.
Is anyone in the same situation or have any advice on how I should be training to get back competing again. Anybody got some good ideas for getting good training in while limited in time?

I was in the same position coming back to the sport after serious health issues that didn't allow me to exercise for two years and then having a job that required more hours.

What I did was determined how many times per week I wanted to swim/bike/run and do core/injury prevention strength sessions per week. I figured I wanted to do 3x S/B/R sessions per week and 2x core strength sessions (I felt I have to do these or I get injured).

I also figured out I could only train one session after work as I left for work at 6am and got home arond 4.30pm. So in order to fit these sessions in, I had to compromise and combine sessions to fit them all in. I do the below.

Mon- pool swim 50-60min
Tues- 70min bike indoor trainer at home, short 15-20min run straight after
Wed- pool swim 50-60min
Thur- longer run 40-70min
Fri- core session 20min
Sat- 60-90min indoor trainer, 30-40min run straight after, afternoon pool swim if I feel like it or am not busy
Sun- 120-180min bike, afternoon core 20mins

I find if I have a commitment during the week, say a family or friends birthday dinner, a work function, a doctor/dentist etc appointment, I switch the 20min Friday core session to that day and do the corresponding session on the Friday instead. I figured if weeks got too hectic, I can cut down my swim sessions to twice per week instead of 3 and likewise with the run. I was not willing to compromise doing less that 3x bikes per week.

To fit these things in, I make the sessions bang for my buck. I don't waste time doing 3x outdoor rides per week, I only ride outdoors once per week, going straight on the trainer and running straight after saves time in prep, etc. I used to swim in a squad but found the set times much too restriciting. I now save money by not swimming in a squad and use that saved money to pay for one on one swim coaching if I need to. I get better advice and save money at the same time.

The biggest challenge for me was to accept with everything else that was going on in life that I simply cannot train 3 hours per day every day before and after work and still be a good husband, soon to be father and grow my career at work. I had to come to the conclusion that I cannot be a super athlete only traning these restricted hours. I tried to when I got back into it initially and only got angry and frustrated. I enjoy training because there isn't that pressure. I just enjoy getting outdoors and being healthy rather than doing it to boost my ego by being super fast at events.

I also am focusing on short sprint and olympic rather than 70.3 and century rides like I used to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First realize that it is way easier to train for a 1/2 Oly because you don't need a ton of endurence to compete. If you want to do an Oly just realize that you will have to dial the pace back so you don't completely crater on the run.

If you have done endurence sports for some time, then you can hopefully tap into your body's natural efficiency and most of your workouts don't need to be very long. Just focus on quality. Simple trainer workout would be warm up for 3-5 minutes then do 40 minutes at sweet-spot. Cool down for 3 minutes, shower and eat in the car on the way to work. Do these twice a week and then maybe do a 10 minute warm-up, 5 minute ftp, 5 minute rest, repeat 4 times on Saturday.

Structure the swimming and running similarly, good tempo with a touch of speed.

Your life is probably so chaotic you don't need to worry about rest weeks, some sort of crazy crap will get in the way of training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, for the time being, just focus on training and competing in one discipline (like the running). When you have more flexibility because the kids are older etc etc, get back into multisport. Less frustration, easier to plan.

Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back into Triathlons with limited time! [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
Or, for the time being, just focus on training and competing in one discipline (like the running). When you have more flexibility because the kids are older etc etc, get back into multisport. Less frustration, easier to plan.

Just a thought.

I would continue swimming 1 or 2x a week with your other activities as a means to cross train and provide variety. Enjoy life.
Quote Reply