Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Getting back (fast) after inactivity due to sickness.
Quote | Reply
I got a small cold about 3 weeks ago and continued training like normal, or rather a bit less than normal.
Maybe I didn't brake hard enough because I somehow developed pain in the throat. My Last hard session was last Wednesday last week and my last training session was a swim on Saturday.

My throat is almost good today and I never had any fever.

The reason why I ask is that I have a important Duathlon competition coming up in 2.5 weeks and that is one of my main competitions this year (maybe I have to revise that plan).

So what would you do? I probably will have 10 days without any form of hard trainings and 5 days without any easy training as well. I guess that would have lowered my Vo2max by a few percentage and also lowered some important blood enzymes.

Should I do a lot of hard vo2max sessions when I feel 100% fine (sure I do 2-3 days of easy sessions first to see if the body feels fine). Or do 6h bike rides?'
I guess my tapering will suffer a bit from this.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back (fast) after inactivity due to sickness. [johan123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went through something similar recently, cold that caused me to back off of high intensity in training for a few days but nevertheless became bronchitis and knocked me out of training for about 5 days. So all in all, a 10 day deviation from the plan.

It took me about a week after resuming to feel pop in my legs on the bike and I definitely lost fitness with my run. I ran a big road race here in Madison about 2.5 weeks after resuming training and underperformed relative to my goals. I did a couple of speed sessions in those 2.5 weeks, and I noticed a bit of dropoff but no red flags.

Just acknowledge to yourself going into your race that your base is big enough to carry you through and still do quite well, though you have possibly lost some top end speed/ performance. Not to make excuses before you even toe the line, but just to do a bit of an expectations reset in that your time away due to illness may have bent the curve a bit relative to where you were expecting to be when you circled this race on your calendar.
Quote Reply
Re: Getting back (fast) after inactivity due to sickness. [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the input!
I will try to focus on speed a bit I think.
But as you say, accepting that your not at your best is probably a good idea.
Pacing will be different as well.
Quote Reply