Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Get the smallest violins out… I got another First World problem.
Quote | Reply
So… I had a 2014 P3 and after a few months ownership and around twenty rides the rear brake boss came out. After some hassle with Cervélo Europe the local store sent my frame back for warranty. I had months of hearing nothing and got my bike back last week.

I'm racing this weekend, in a foreign country (so flights and hotels - $1,000) and I hoped my BBright4624 had been retained from the old P3 as requested… it hadn't and I was waiting on a new one. Ordered via Sigma Sport who sent it out today despite paying for the full whack expedited shipping. Other last minute stuff I ordered to fit the new BB arrived two days ago. I've tried to source a step down adapter locally, but no joy.

So that's it; a winter of training and I'm doing the race on my roadie. At this point, I can't even muster the enthusiasm to put some tri bars on it. It was just one of those things where, after months of panicking, everything seemed to be coming together and then it's fallen through.

Okay - I'm going to have a few hours of self-pity and form a plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Get the smallest violins out… I got another First World problem. [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1st world problem, but a bummer nonetheless! Could you arrange a tri bike rental?
Quote Reply
Re: Get the smallest violins out… I got another First World problem. [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
So… I had a 2014 P3 and after a few months ownership and around twenty rides the rear brake boss came out. After some hassle with Cervélo Europe the local store sent my frame back for warranty. I had months of hearing nothing and got my bike back last week.

I'm racing this weekend, in a foreign country (so flights and hotels - $1,000) and I hoped my BBright4624 had been retained from the old P3 as requested… it hadn't and I was waiting on a new one. Ordered via Sigma Sport who sent it out today despite paying for the full whack expedited shipping. Other last minute stuff I ordered to fit the new BB arrived two days ago. I've tried to source a step down adapter locally, but no joy.

So that's it; a winter of training and I'm doing the race on my roadie. At this point, I can't even muster the enthusiasm to put some tri bars on it. It was just one of those things where, after months of panicking, everything seemed to be coming together and then it's fallen through.

Okay - I'm going to have a few hours of self-pity and form a plan.

this is not a minor inconvenience, this is all sorts of F'k up

If I had bought a premium product of another transport mode... let's say I had just purchased a BMW or a Honda or whatever, and after about 20 drives, the rear brake boss came out .
well, what do you ( the ST Community ) think would be a reasonable expectation?

well I don't know about you, but for me something along the lines of " first you sell me something that has BRAKE FAILURE and then you want me to wait months.... get off your high horse & replace the it... now"
actually if it was a car or whatever, there'd be recalls, regulatory authorities, international class actions etc

the rear brake bosses coming out of Cervelo frames is not a new problem and has been discussed here on ST a few times, with Cervelo personnel contributing as well.... but still, the rear brake bosses fall out.
BTW, I too have a 2014 P3 and love it, best tri bike I've ever had and for me it really is the high water mark of affordable tri bikes.....but still, the rear brake bosses fall out

note to Cervelo - you guys have lots of really smart people working for you, so why don't you just fix the rear brake bosses coming out problem...
Last edited by: Avago: May 28, 15 14:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didn't remove your BB when you sent the frame back? Man, I'd send nothing but the frame, and trust either yourself or an LBS to reconfigure to a new frame.

BB standards are becoming insane though. I suggest we do a general boycott of all bikes until the industry gets its BB shit together.
Quote Reply
Re: Get the smallest violins out… I got another First World problem. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No chance for a rental, fly out tomorrow. Plus I need a garden gate sized bike. This rebuild came down to the wire.. Win some lose some. Motivation is in the gutter and questioning whether to even switch out the pads on my roadie and go with my 60mm Reynolds. Gotta snap out of this! I've had the offer of a DA Di2 Felt AR FRD... Maybe I should grab that tomorrow morning before my flight...

I did ask the local shop if they could take the BB out as I'd installed it retaining compound (but it was a Rotor BBRight 4624 so I was hoping the aluminium would press out okay.) I can only assume they didn't as when I picked up the frame they said they'd look for it, but didn't have it there. I was just psyched to have the frame back. At the time I only had a Hope bearing press, nothing to remove the BB shell, otherwise I would have stripped it completely.

Re the brake boss... I was hoping I'd just got a lemon, but it does seem to be a not-unheard-of issue with Cervélo. My Felt road bike has been a real workhorse. If they ditched BB30 and under-BB brakes, I'd probably have a Felt tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is a garden gate big or small? I'd seriousiously consider that Felt offer...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If loctite was used to install the cups then there is a good chance that getting them out would've destroyed it anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Get the smallest violins out… I got another First World problem. [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A garden gate is unfortunately a huge bike (61cm). As a fairly vain person, aesthetics matter and that's often the decider on frame purchases...!

James, I suspected that might be the case, but the Cervelo dealer didn't question it, so I remained hopeful. A new Rotor 4624 BBRight is on it's way now that Sigma Sport have deigned to dispatch it via the expedited service. Last time I use those guys...

I got in touch with the guys at BIg Maggy's and they've installed an FSA BBRright 24mm BB this morning and I've got the rest of the bits to assemble it tonight. It was also Big Maggy's who offered me a Felt FRD AR with Enve wheels last night. A massive thank you to the boys there.

If you're thinking of doing any of the European cycling events (sportives, etc...) and want full support from a team car, mechanic, etc... Give these guys a shout http://www.bigmaggys.com. Hell, one of the shareholders is pro cyclist turned triathlete big Magnus Backstedt. Can't say enough good things about them, and this latest episode is just one of many instances where they've gone the extra mile for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grab the DA brother!

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Get the smallest violins out… I got another First World problem. [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's their plan. I try it, then my Ui2 P3 just doesn't scratch that itch anymore... And my mechanical Ultegra? It doesn't even bare contemplating having to go back to that... I'd simply have to upgrade... Damn those sneaky bastards, offering up the good stuff, all no strings attached...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snatching a total disaster from a last minute success... British Airways have lost my bike. I reckon I'm cursed. Sat here in Salou, Spain, close to $1700 out of pocket for a race I'm now going to spectate.

Crap
Quote Reply