Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Get beaten by dopers?...the best response...
Quote | Reply
This is a pretty good article if you ask me.

http://www.irishtimes.com/...ed-by-iaaf-1.2529814

She did everything she could to be the best, but has no anger towards those who doped. I'm sometimes perplexed by the level of hatred displayed on this board by people against dopers. I often wonder if somehow that same amount of hatred is driven by the same thing that drives people to dope in the first place - ego. After all, if you know you did the best you could with what you have, shouldn't that be the most important thing?
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

She did everything she could to be the best, but has no anger towards those who doped. I'm sometimes perplexed by the level of hatred displayed on this board by people against dopers. I often wonder if somehow that same amount of hatred is driven by the same thing that drives people to dope in the first place - ego. After all, if you know you did the best you could with what you have, shouldn't that be the most important thing?

Sorry. Fuck that. I appreciate your Zen, inner peace, I gave my best, theory but it is pretty much crap.

I really don't worry that much about my own results as it relates to doping. I am a little bit better than average age grouper who is trying to be as fast as possible. However, if I were competing to be the best in the world and someone had used systematic doping to rob me of my chance at a world championship, my anger would be incredibly high. I appreciate that O'Sullivan is a better person than me (I guess) but I don't think I could be that cool about it. And honestly, if I were 'only' trying to win my AG at a major race and was beaten out by someone who was later found to be doping, I would be pissed.

Maybe after 23 years had passed I could be as calm as she claims to be.....

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
fulla wrote:

Sorry. Fuck that. I appreciate your Zen, inner peace, I gave my best, theory but it is pretty much crap.

I really don't worry that much about my own results as it relates to doping. I am a little bit better than average age grouper who is trying to be as fast as possible. However, if I were competing to be the best in the world and someone had used systematic doping to rob me of my chance at a world championship, my anger would be incredibly high. I appreciate that O'Sullivan is a better person than me (I guess) but I don't think I could be that cool about it. And honestly, if I were 'only' trying to win my AG at a major race and was beaten out by someone who was later found to be doping, I would be pissed.

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [wannabefaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
fulla wrote:

So, is triathlon more about external validation for you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
wannabefaster wrote:
fulla wrote:

So, is triathlon more about external validation for you?

If I were getting my validation from my triathlon results it would be a very sad life. That doesn't mean that I can't be angered by cheaters.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best response is to get a bike with a hidden motor.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I.had the.pleasure.of.running a.few.times.alongside Sonia.a.few.years back. Very classy person. She turned up.for.her club in little.xc races around london and would seem surprised when people recognized her!
We've known for.years that Ma's army was using more than turtle.blood. im sure Sonia has come.to.terms with it years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
I'm sometimes perplexed by the level of hatred displayed on this board by people against dopers.

I'm perplexed that you're perplexed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What new news has come out about Coach Ma's Army? It's long been known that they were doped; it's been admitted by some of the athletes they were on epo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wannabefaster wrote:
fulla wrote:

I may be naive - but to age groupers dope?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"So, is triathlon more about external validation for you?"

Yes, from one angle, for me it is. It appears by reading posts and blogs for Top AG athletes/Kona qualifiers and pre-Pro athletes that a lot of them are top performers in their business world. It also seems that way when I look at my local Tri club, so yes. I assume it is because those people know how to dedicate themselves to a project and perform at the top of the game. They also put the same effort into their personal lives, Triathlon, as well so yeah, for me it is validation that I can compete on a personal level with them and then put the same effort and attention into my business which hopefully puts my business in the top of the game as well. If I suck at Triathlon with a crappy effort into the sport then, most likely, I am applying the same effort to my business which will probably yield the same results.

Edit: Dopers suck and I would be pissed getting beat by a cheater/doper, in business or in a race.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Last edited by: alien: Feb 12, 16 4:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago, I read an article by Jens Voigt where he talked about how angry the doping made him. He was saying that he couldn't even let himself think about it too much because it made him furious think that he might have been able to beat those guys if they hadn't doped. To be honest, I understand his feelings much better than O'Sullivan's.

Obviously, I am never going to compete at a world level. Depending on the race, I have finished as high as second or as far back as 4th to last, but I still have no patience for cheating.
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [estrbak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
estrbak wrote:

Yes, in droves.
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
estrbak wrote:

Yes, in droves.

crazy. no morals anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [estrbak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
estrbak wrote:
nightfend wrote:
estrbak wrote:

Yes, in droves.

What do they use? Testosterone probably doesn't help except with recovery, epo is so dangerous. What are they using? Where do they get it, it seems it would be expensive, illegal without a prescription, can you be arrested when buying from your dealer ? I just can't understand how this happens , who, what, when ,where , how ,why. I have a large group and I have never thought any used.
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dennis wrote:
estrbak wrote:
nightfend wrote:
estrbak wrote:

Yes, in droves.

What do they use? Testosterone probably doesn't help except with recovery, epo is so dangerous. What are they using? Where do they get it, it seems it would be expensive, illegal without a prescription, can you be arrested when buying from your dealer ? I just can't understand how this happens , who, what, when ,where , how ,why. I have a large group and I have never thought any used.

Support cancer research with the world's longest annual charity bike ride.
Texas 4000 for Cancer
Austin, TX to Anchorage, Alaska
http://texas4000.org/
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
fulla wrote:
I'm sometimes perplexed by the level of hatred displayed on this board by people against dopers.

I'm perplexed that you're perplexed.

x2. To the contrary, I am amazed at the number of apologists and moral relativists on ST who think doping is no big deal; and that the rest of us should just race our race and not worry about what others do. When sport has no rules (or rules that are not enforced), then it ceases to be sport. We should all be outraged by cheaters.
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WTH. Did that answer mean. I just wanted to know.how people know that many are using. I have no idea how this works and wanted information. It's hard to understand all the risks they must take . I read do per next door. It was very expensive , time consuming , dangerous. I just don't get how all this works.
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluntandy wrote:
I.had the.pleasure.of.running a.few.times.alongside Sonia.a.few.years back. Very classy person. She turned up.for.her club in little.xc races around london and would seem surprised when people recognized her!
We've known for.years that Ma's army was using more than turtle.blood. im sure Sonia has come.to.terms with it years ago.

Are you William Shatner or Christopher Walken?
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
bluntandy wrote:

Are you William Shatner or Christopher Walken?

^^^Effing brilliant!
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh poop I was posting from my new phone.
I.did.sound.a.little.staccato...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dennis wrote:
WTH. Did that answer mean. I just wanted to know.how people know that many are using. I have no idea how this works and wanted information. It's hard to understand all the risks they must take . I read do per next door. It was very expensive , time consuming , dangerous. I just don't get how all this works.

There is a black market for everything. You can buy EPO on the internet from China or Mexico, get it OTC in Mexico and also in parts of Europe. I've heard reports of nurses smuggling half-used vials from operating rooms... it's out there. The brothers in Utah who recently got busted were caught buying it online and it was the paper-trail that caught them. I think the Feds passed the info over to USADA. A journalist who bought EPO online (from China) for a test of how much it would affect his performance had the EPO tested before he used it, and it was apparently fine. See here.

Obviously testosterone is becoming increasingly more available on prescription from doctors and you can always find 'a guy' who can source it via a gym if you wanted to. Likely EPO too.

Is it dangerous? Sure, but that said you don't hear of many athletes dropping dead from self-administered EPO use, and a quick google search will give you plenty of info on micro-dosing protocols. So on that basis many people will be willing to take the risks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to an anti-aging clinic, tell them you are fatigued. You will be on a path to doping glory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seriously? what do they use?

EPO, testosterone, broader steroids - they use everything and its "relatively" easy to get hold of, depending on how hard you are willing to try and the results versus the risk of being caught are self evident - i.e. huge return for relatively small risk of being caught.

google performance drug use in uk in amateur athletics - http://www.independent.co.uk/...-ahead-10031430.html

I think its really easy - i could guarantee a Rx for testosterone tomorrow and i'm 42, others I could get but would require further discussion, I could for example if it were important enough to me, head to thailand and sort our EPO - its all doable and its all cheap as chips
Quote Reply
Re: Get beaten by dopers?...the best response... [santino314] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is hilarious... and exactly what I was thinking when I read his post too.

@davempratt
Quote Reply

Prev Next