Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gearing for IM CDA
Quote | Reply
What gearing should I use for IM CDA? I'll probably be in the 6 to 6:30 bike range.

I currently run 53/39 and 12/25 on my tri bike.

Ive seen the EN advice of a compact and 12/28 cassette.

Wondering what people's experiences are with the current bike course.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for IM CDA [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The highway hills aren't that steep, just on the longer side compared to most races. Gearing is always a personal choice. Find a hill near you with the same grade as the first major hill on the course and see how it feels after a few hours on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll need more gears than that. If you don't use them the first loop you'll use em on the second. If it's windy on the way out (it usually is) you'll use them both laps. Get a 11-28 for the back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
39/25 is not enough gear for a 6-6:30 type rider. I rode 39/27 and with the heat combined with the wind, I wish I had a little more. just over 6:00 hours and I felt like I was grinding too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for IM CDA [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
summitt wrote:
39/25 is not enough gear for a 6-6:30 type rider. I rode 39/27 and with the heat combined with the wind, I wish I had a little more. just over 6:00 hours and I felt like I was grinding too much.

Thank you. This past weekend, I decided to go all in on the EN advice and installed a compact crank (50/34) and a 11-28 cassette.

I'd rather have a great run and wish I went a little harder on the bike than have a bad run and wish I went easier on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
summitt wrote:

Thank you. This past weekend, I decided to go all in on the EN advice and installed a compact crank (50/34) and a 11-28 cassette.

I'd rather have a great run and wish I went a little harder on the bike than have a bad run and wish I went easier on the bike.
39/28 would be plenty of gear if you don't mind grinding a little. As has been noted, the course is on a highway so the grade isn't terrible, just long. Wave when you pass me.

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Re: Gearing for IM CDA [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would use as much as possible. The 34/28 is pretty good. I essentially am similar as I will use a 36/30. 2 Long hills, around 6% for 2 miles or so and you do it twice. Gets windy the second lap usually and let's all just pray to whatever you believe in that is never as hot as it was in 2015 when I did my first ironman there!! Hell is all that comes to mind about that race.
Quote Reply