Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gear ratio / Wisconsin
Quote | Reply
This will be # 3 IM. And wouldn't you know I still feel so uneducated.
Biking isn't my weakest link. That being said I have read so much about wi. Being such a challenging ride. I could you some advice on gear ratio and set up .
I did Texas and Louisville in 7hr 15 min.bike
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Gear ratio / Wisconsin [pigpen73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compact with like a 12-32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride the course a lot with group rides. My road bike's 53/39 with an 11-23T rear is just fine. But, I'm OK with using the 39 up front. My kids still love me and everything.

Twitter @achtervolger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode it last year with a 53/39 and an 12/25 rear in training and then went have an 11/28 on my race wheels.

Both worked out just fine for me. I preferred the 11/28 so I could push power down the hills and the 39/28 combo got used going up the climbs.

ETA: while our times aren't really relevant to each other - I just looked at my max 1 min power output from the race and it was 136% FTP in the 39/28 in case that helps your decision.
Last edited by: Furious D: Feb 12, 16 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on your previous IM bike times, I would consider a 50/34 with a 12-28 or 12-32 cassette. The primary hills at Wisconsin are comparable to the out-and-back hills at Louisville, but without the momentum going into them. Otherwise, a lot of rollers like Louisville.
Quote Reply
Re: Gear ratio / Wisconsin [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdm81 wrote:
Based on your previous IM bike times, I would consider a 50/34 with a 12-28 or 12-32 cassette. The primary hills at Wisconsin are comparable to the out-and-back hills at Louisville, but without the momentum going into them. Otherwise, a lot of rollers like Louisville.

4x Wisconsin finisher. For your times, a compact 50/34 and 12/32 is perfect. Not long hills, but a couple of steeper ones that are nice to gear down on. Your legs will thank you at the 3 hour mark on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used 50/34 with 11-25 one year and 52/36 with 11-25 another year. With the 52/36 I felt good enough with my power uphill and also felt good with the power on the downhills. There is a lot of time to be gained when not just coasting down hills so make sure you have enough to go downhill too.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Gear ratio / Wisconsin [mdm81] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdm81 wrote:

I'd agree here with previous times of 7:15 on the bike.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely go compact. My run was pretty smooth and I'm pretty sure have a compact crank was part of it. My VI (variability index) on race day was much better than when I prerode the course using standard crank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently many people replying to this post are not reading your 7+ hour target.

I've ridden the course on my road bike. I've spectated the big climbs during the IM. It's almost unbelievable how many folks are over geared and grinding up the hills. I saw 6-7 hour folks just crushing themselves with a 25 tooth in the rear.

At 7 hours. I'd DEFINITELY...no question go with the 50-34 front and 12-32 rear. If you must go with a 28 in back you will definitely be grinding it up the climbs.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pigpen73 wrote:
This will be # 3 IM. And wouldn't you know I still feel so uneducated.
Biking isn't my weakest link. That being said I have read so much about wi. Being such a challenging ride. I could you some advice on gear ratio and set up .
I did Texas and Louisville in 7hr 15 min.bike
Thanks.

I go right around 6 hrs at Wisconsin, and I go with a compact set up. The first lap you may think you don't need it; on the second lap you will be very, very happy you have the lower gears, and you'll be happier yet if you used them on the first lap.

Spot

Quote | Reply
A given speed in the 'easiest' gear is only going to vary by about 2-3rpm.

36x28 at 60rpm gives about 6mph

36x25 at 60rpm gives about 6.25mph

To put it another way...

36x28 at 60rpm is about 6mph

36x25 at 58rpm is about 6mph

The same 2-3rpm difference generally holds at cadences above that. I don't think that you need to make a 25 to 28 tooth change.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Gear ratio / Wisconsin [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I finally made the decision. Took the advice of 50/34-12/32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pigpen73 wrote:
Thanks. I finally made the decision. Took the advice of 50/34-12/32

Can you find a Comptrainer studio where you can ride the course and find out that a 28 gear choice is much better for you than a 25?
Quote Reply