Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gear advice
Quote | Reply
I have been training for a few months on my mtb using virtual power on trainer road. I am ready to gear up for the season and looking to get my first bike this year. How much should i invest in a bike? I will end up needing to get every thing with $3000.

Any advice is appreciated.

Budget $3,000
Goals: a few sprints this summer, local 70.3 in nov. then 140.6 in 2018. Likely IM Texas

Gear I have:
Good running shoes.
Cheap Tri shorts
Cheap goggles
Kick board
Hand paddles
Fluid trainer
920xt with hrm
Quote Reply
Re: Gear advice [Skilless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skilless wrote:
I have been training for a few months on my mtb using virtual power on trainer road. I am ready to gear up for the season and looking to get my first bike this year. How much should i invest in a bike? I will end up needing to get every thing with $3000.

Any advice is appreciated.

Budget $3,000
Goals: a few sprints this summer, local 70.3 in nov. then 140.6 in 2018. Likely IM Texas

Gear I have:
Good running shoes.
Cheap Tri shorts
Cheap goggles
Kick board
Hand paddles
Fluid trainer
920xt with hrm

That is plenty of money to do some real damage. With some patience and perseverance you can buy a lot of bike on the secondary market (Craigslist/eBay) for ~$1200. Which bike is a much broader conversation based on other factors covered on this forum ad nauseum. Plan on about $200 for a good fit. You can get a set of aluminum Flo's off eBay and buy a wheel cover for under $1000. Decent aero helmets come up on the classifieds here for ~$100. Xterra wetsuits are a hell of a deal new, <$200. The rest will get you the odds and ends like cycling shoes, bib shorts, nutrition, proper kit, TrainerRoad subscription, membership at the Y or other pool, etc.

Have fun, buying toys never gets old.

"It never gets easier, you just go faster."
-Greg LeMond

Quote Reply