Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gear Cable not pulling through properly on Planet X
Quote | Reply
HI

I was wondering if there was any way to clean the inner where the gear cable goes through on a Planet X, i put a new cable in and it keeps getting stuck and doesn't flow properly, probably some gunk and crud in there.

thanks

Jon
Quote Reply
Re: Gear Cable not pulling through properly on Planet X [jon.eames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which PX?
Quote Reply
Re: Gear Cable not pulling through properly on Planet X [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a Exocet
Quote Reply
Re: Gear Cable not pulling through properly on Planet X [jon.eames] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which Cable?

Have you tried taking the BB cover off to access the cable through the BB?

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was a criticism of the first Exocet, what version do you have ?

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Gear Cable not pulling through properly on Planet X [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh okay...

Yes it is the first
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not well up on the finer details sorry (I have a Exo 2), but I think the problem was the front routing ?

If that sounds familiar, have a look on one of the uk time trailing forums - I am sure there will be some good info / fixes etc.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do the cables go in? Into the top tube behind the stem, or into the downtube?

If its the former (exocet 2), then if you've been trying to pull the cable back from there, then from my experience, the cable is probably frayed further down the line.
Pull it back out of the chainstay, then out of the bb guide and sleeve, before finally pulling it from the top tube guide. or cut it at the bb, and just pull a short amount at the top.

The little guide tubes in the headtube/toptube are fairly small dia, so buzz the entry a little with a slightly bigger drill bit, and then blast it all through with wd40.
For the outer cable, use ferrules without seals in.

A new cable should slide nice and easily from then on (depending on your tribar extension routing).

Its actually one of the best routing i've come across.

If its 1 where they go in the downtube, then i'm no help, but that should really be a piece of p***
Quote Reply
Re: Gear Cable not pulling through properly on Planet X [philg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it for the rear mech ?

I did one for my mate - the liner had broken somewhere in the chain stay. Shifting was crap and it was virtually impossible to feed the inner through.

We ended up running an external cable and zip tieing it to the frame - luckily he bought a new bike shortly after and relegated it to turbo use - although he did a couple of races with the external cable. It looked horrible :-) !

LG
Quote Reply
Re: Gear Cable not pulling through properly on Planet X [lagazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks

It’s on my turbo as well not my race TT so might do the same
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be much worse than gunk... the internal guide is known to detach within the frame on the mark 1 Exocet. It was shit even when it was connected properly, people couldn't use R2C front shifters etc because of the amount of slack that would have to be taken up.. basically you had to use friction shift on the FD for it to work at all. But then people had real problems when the internal noodle piece of crap guide or they used would detach at one or both ends. They engineered the problem out in the mark 2.

Lots of reading on UK TT forums. Probably more threads if you search more thoroughly over there.

http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/...t-x-exocet-1-frames/
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/...lanet-x-exocet-saga/
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/...-front-mech-problem/

Wouldn't touch one, which I realize is not much help to you in your current position! If I ended up with one of these frames for some reason I'd try and thread Di2 through the frame somehow, or use ETAP... but if you have Di2 or ETAP you probably won't be riding an Exocet mark 1...!

You might be able to retrofit some outer stops at each end and run liner through the frame or something, or even full housing. Might need to get the drill out, a bit like the P3C modifications (thread here), but I've never tried it on the PX frame.

Hope you can sort it out somehow.
Quote Reply
Re: Gear Cable not pulling through properly on Planet X [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've worked on a mates' Exocet and have to agree with most of the comments - it's a piece of shit and a pain in the arse to work on. I had the same issue when I first replaced his cables. I had to undo the cable from both the front and rear mech and feed them back through to the bottom bracket area, after removing the cover. I them used a pair of pliers to pull the cable back and forth between the top tube exit and the BB area to create some space around the cable. It was a nightmare and took hours of messing around. Once the cable were freed up I was able to remove them and replace with new. I have done this 2 or 3 times for him now, it has been easier since the first time, but in no way straight forward. It is not helped by the fact that he rides this bike in all weathers.
On a side note, his frame was 'full' of water. By full, I reckon I must have poured at least a pint of water out of it. I have no idea how it got in there, but you could hear it sloshing around when you picked the bike up.
Quote Reply
Re: Gear Cable not pulling through properly on Planet X [Xplombier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the photos I can find on the net, the rear cable exit on the stay on the exo and exo 2 looks identical - maybe some drill modification could get you the same internal setup as the 2 ?

I have done the rear cable on my exo 2 and it was no problem – large hole in the stay near the mech, removable frame boss in the stay hole, plastic liner runs through the boss down the stay towards the BB and protrudes a little from ally cable exit hole at the BB.

The plastic liner has a flared end that sits in the boss so if you pull the boss out of the frame, the liner comes out with it.

I pulled this liner out as I renewed the boss with a custom item.

I found the standard boss didn’t hold the gear cable well and would allow the outer to sit at an angle (compared to the boss) depending on the position of the rear mech – there was cable wear on the boss when I removed it after a ‘very’ short period of time so it’s obviously not the best of designs …

I have photos (stuck in photobucket … ) if it helps ?

Quote Reply