Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here!
Quote | Reply
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...swimming-straps.html

There are 2 models: swim and triathlon. A new black/grey 920 bundle has been created as well

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 22, 15 8:16
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent. I had pretty much given up on mine since it stopped working after too many races.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [cobragolf79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duplicate thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5628018

2014 P3 DI2 - RT6, CXR80, Power2Max S, 820, Fenix 3 HR. (gone)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [P90Puma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahh, didn't see that one. Mine has pictures haha :)

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great, a less comfortable chest strap.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is the tri bundle available to order now?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the tri one. It's great. Works in open water or in the pool under a tri suit. It stores the data and syncs it when you save the session. And slimmer than the "old" ones.

LG
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [lagazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you have the new black/grey tri bundle?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No mate. I just bought a new tri HR strap. Swimming HR is quite interesting ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can order but they don't start shipping until next week. I ordered one from my LBS yesterday. They called the garmin rep as I was standing there since they weren't sure if they could order them yet. Should have it in a week and half I'm guessing.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could somebody explain to me the benefit of knowing you HR during a swim.

Quote | Reply
does anyone know if this HRM monitor will work with a Forerunner 405 watch?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:

To take your mind off the boredom, and how otherwise sucky the current activity you're doing is?
;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the new gray/black tri bundle and have a few swims with HR data. I am not sure how I will incorporate HR data....or if I will, but it works flawlessly and was interesting to look at.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [xbrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xbrider wrote:
does anyone know if this HRM monitor will work with a Forerunner 405 watch?
99% sure it doesn't
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will it last for more than a year, unlike the Garmin "premium" heart strap?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [Economist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I'm curious about this too - it would be sort of fun to have in the pool and watch the HR numbers when I'm sprinting 100s, and see how low it goes during intervals. Would be a lot of fun to play with but I'm not sure how I'd use the data to improve my swimming. I have the pace clock to do that...

Also curious how well the chest strap stays on if you're wearing just a suit and swimming fast (does it slip)? What about staying in place from a dive?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I did a hard set of 100s coming in around 1:15/16. On Tuesday I did a set at 1:12. The difference was I didn't run 14 miles 6 hours earlier on Tuesday so I think the efforts were equivalent. Would be nice to compare the HR data between the 2, though.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good point.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

I'm curious about this too - it would be sort of fun to have in the pool and watch the HR numbers when I'm sprinting 100s, and see how low it goes during intervals. Would be a lot of fun to play with but I'm not sure how I'd use the data to improve my swimming. I have the pace clock to do that...
Also curious how well the chest strap stays on if you're wearing just a suit and swimming fast (does it slip)? What about staying in place from a dive?

I tried swimming with a Polar HRM a few yrs ago and you've guessed the problem: if you're relatively thin, then the strap just slides down your chest no matter how tightly you put it on. The Polar folks offered to sell me a "shoulder harness" to keep it on but I drew the line at that. And, no way in hades it would stay on if you were diving in.

The HR data I got from running and biking was kind of interesting but eventually I stopped wearing b/c it should seemed like yet another piece of data to record in my logbook, and yet another gadget to worry about working, e.g. on top of the bike itself, bike computer, running watch, etc:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't get "real time" HR as the strap doesn't communicate through the water. The HRM stores the data and transmits / syncs it after.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [lagazelle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lagazelle wrote:
You don't get "real time" HR as the strap doesn't communicate through the water. The HRM stores the data and transmits / syncs it after.

this is true but in about 1s after your chest coming above water, the HR connects and you see your instantaneous HR. So I would see my HR at the end of a hard 100 and before the push off of the next.

I bought the tri bundle because I wanted the black/grey watch for everyday use. The grey is almost not visible when on wrist, it looks a lot like the 910, straight black. I held back on the 920 because of the previous colors

I haven't use the Blue swim strap yet. It apparently does not fall when you push off or dive. I will have to try that later

I did use the black strap while swimming and it is kind of cool to see HR data after the swim. I was really surprised how low my HR was compared to my PE. It was HIM bike level and I felt my stroke was falling apart and I was way more gased than the HR would indicate.

The black strap would work well under tri kit. It does swim HR and run metrics. The blue strap is for swimming without a top.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I haven't use the Blue swim strap yet. It apparently does not fall when you push off or dive. I will have to try that later

Please do. Also, if you could try some different strokes, that would be helpful too :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:

Please do. Also, if you could try some different strokes, that would be helpful too :-)

what are these different strokes you speak of ? there is more than one ?

just kidding, will report back.
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 23, 15 4:01
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin heart rate monitors for swimming are finally here! [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
tigerchik wrote:

what are these different strokes you speak of ? there is more than one ?

just kidding, will report back.

Specifically we want a 400 IM done at race effort. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next