Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting
Quote | Reply
I have my P1 pedals, and I love them. However, I am really liking the look of the new Garmin Vector 3 pedals. They look smaller, lighter, standard cleats?, a lower stack height, and a great battery life. The only downside at a glance is that they run on a crapton of those little button batteries.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/573589
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only downside is that's it a Garmin product...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make me a deal on your P1's and I will buy them.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask me again in a few months :)... Garmin's site says ~8 weeks to availability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They're $265 more than the Favero Assioma's. What extra value do they deliver to justify the price difference?

http://www.clevertraining.com/assioma-pedal-based-cycling-power-meter

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And check Raymakers review on Garmin and his comment on Favero:
So what are the downsides? Well, mainly just price I suppose. I’m concurrently working on finishing up writing my Favero Assioma pedals review, and that unit is really solid when it comes to accuracy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saris just cut the P1's to $999.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have my P1 pedals, and I love them. However, I am really liking the look of the new Garmin Vector 3 pedals. They look smaller, lighter, standard cleats?, a lower stack height, and a great battery life. The only downside at a glance is that they run on a crapton of those little button batteries.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/573589

If they are able to successfully produce them, they'll finally deliver on the "promise" of the technology first revealed by MetriGear...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my opinion, Garmin's advantages over the Favero Assioma are:
  • Garmin'g 3rd gen experience
  • Garmin's brand reputation and support
  • Simpler installation
  • Aesthetics (no bulky thing at the crank)
  • Battery vs. recharge

I probably would not sell my P1 to get the Assioma. But, I could be tempted to sell P1 to get Vector 3 if the Vectors review very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Saris just cut the P1's to $999.

Source please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't sound like some kind of butt cancer.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [mpquick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha. It is a horrible name. It is like someone mushed together "ass" and "insomnia." Someone in product management failed to name test it with a room full of middle school boys. If I use these pedals, will they help keep my butt awake?

The global product branding guidebook probably has a bullet in there somewhere that says "no product sold in the U.S. market should begin with the letters 'ASS.'"

Epic naming fail.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Aug 29, 17 10:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
In my opinion, Garmin's advantages over the Favero Assioma are:
  • Garmin'g 3rd gen experience
  • Garmin's brand reputation and support
  • Simpler installation
  • Aesthetics (no bulky thing at the crank)
  • Battery vs. recharge

I'll grant you #4.

On #1, Favero isn't exactly a newcomer to power meters, either. 2nd gen vs. 3rd gen, that doesn't necessarily make the latter better.

#3, what's harder about installing the Assiomas?

#2 & #4 are personal experience/opinion/preference. Every individual will have different ideas either way. If you trust Garmin, and prefer a "crapton of button batteries" to a rechargeable battery, I can't tell you you're wrong.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's a new version, but there has just been so much bad press on Vectors that I would wait around a year to ensure that there aren't major bugs.

I know of someone in one of the group rides I frequent who apparently had one snap a spindle. I think my LBS quit carrying them. Just seems like they haven't been successful with quality yet. Just because they changed the look and finally figured out what P1's did a while back, doesn't mean they fixed the other quality issues. I'm all for them working out. Lower the price with competition. But I haven't had an issue with my P1's, so I won't be itching to change them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
On #1, Favero isn't exactly a newcomer to power meters, either. 2nd gen vs. 3rd gen, that doesn't necessarily make the latter better.

#3, what's harder about installing the Assiomas?

#2 & #4 are personal experience/opinion/preference. Every individual will have different ideas either way. If you trust Garmin, and prefer a "crapton of button batteries" to a rechargeable battery, I can't tell you you're wrong.

#1 - Favero has been around, but not as long and not nearly with as much volume as Garmin. I would bet on a 3rd gen nearly every time (especially with a major brand), than a younger entrant's earlier gen.

#3 - It may have changed. I thought I saw a review a while ago in which the installation took some special alignment. I can scratch that from the list.

#2 & #4 I agree. Those, along with the rest, are "in my opinion." Everyone has their preferred value statements. Lots of posts above are anti-Garmin, and those might would weigh very heavily the other way toward Favero or P1. I have had very positive experiences with Garmin over the course of many devices.

Edit: I figured out what changed with the installation... I was thinking of their BePro pedals.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Aug 29, 17 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking "ass" + "angioma" = Assioma.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
I was thinking "ass" + "angioma" = Assioma.
That's nasty. I googled it, because I did not know the word. Now, I cannot get rid of the metal image you just created.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I received an e-mail from Saris about 5 minutes before I responded on this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
I know it's a new version, but there has just been so much bad press on Vectors...

Still riding my v1's. Zero issues. The "bad press" boggles my mind sometimes.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:

I received an e-mail from Saris about 5 minutes before I responded on this thread.

I'm guessing that post has been in draft mode for a while with two [insert new / Garmin price here] place holders.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only had good results with my Vector 1 (upgraded to Vector 2) and another Vector 2 so I'm definitely considering the Vector 3 if I can sell my upgraded Vector 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was just tweeted too. That did not take them long to react to Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [NealH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm tempted by these, but only because I find the Wellgo cleats the P1 pedals use awkward. They have a ridge that hangs up on the back of the pedal if you slide your foot forward to clip in. So I don't always nail the clip in on the first try, and clipping in on dicey hill starts is no fun. I'm surprised relatively few people complain about this, almost makes me wonder whether there's some technique I'm missing. On my old Look-style pedals I nailed clip in every time, on the P1 I'm fiddling a bit and often trying two, even three times.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 at $1K Is Very Tempting [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had no issues with Vector 1 and Vector 2. Will have Vector 3, so I don't think it is the end of anything as you imply. Many folks around me also on Vector with no issues. Far from done deal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next