Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon!
Quote | Reply
It seems that Garmin are continuing their evolution-not-revolution approach to business and will be imminently pushing out some updated models, the Vector 3 power meter pedals and Edge 1030 head unit.

To summarise for you:

Garmin Vector 3 - loses the pods; still uses Look cleats; otherwise very similar.
Garmin Edge 1030 - new form factor; possibly a better display; no other tangible new features.

As usual, I'm sure both will be a complete clusterf*** for at least 6 months from release, but that seems to be the norm for the industry these days.

Props to gpsrumors.com for the heads-up and the images, he has a few more on his page.

Last edited by: awenborn: Aug 1, 17 5:02
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
As usual, I'm sure both will be a complete clusterf*** for at least 6 months from release, but that seems to be the norm for the industry these days.

Made me chuckle as someone who had Vector 1's 6 months after release and they were still a PITA until Vector 2's were released and I was given a free upgrade from support. Will be interested in how their non-pod version works out.

For Garmin 1030 I hope they realize this isn't 1999 and it should have more than 50 MB of free memory
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Just bought the Vector 2S a few months ago....I suppose the silver lining is that the Vector 2S will now likely fall in price.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Folks love to hate on the Vectors. I've been running the 1's since 2015 with zero issues. Maybe I'm the exception.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping Garmin has the back "twist" notches made more durable. I had mine break & there is a product called "Problem Solvers" I think (don't recall exactly) but you screw it through the plastic backing as an overlay/new cap. It's about $25. But I don't see why a better quality plastic wouldn't be used or design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great news! I wonder if a new 530 will ever show up?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, rider-to-rider messaging.

I hope that doesn't lead to nitwits trying to text each other in group rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racehd wrote:
For Garmin 1030 I hope they realize this isn't 1999 and it should have more than 50 MB of free memory
In fairness, both the Edge 1000 and the 820 had a ton of space on them, it was only the 520 that was hobbled in terms of storage capacity and the cynic in me thinks that was a deliberate move to stop it cannibalising sales of the 820. I, for one, shelled out almost double the price for the "proper" mapping functionality of the 820, so it was probably quite a profitable business move on their part.

Rocky M wrote:
I'm hoping Garmin has the back "twist" notches made more durable. I had mine break & there is a product called "Problem Solvers" I think (don't recall exactly) but you screw it through the plastic backing as an overlay/new cap. It's about $25. But I don't see why a better quality plastic wouldn't be used or design.
Those little "wings" on the mount are even thinner on the 820 (compared with my old 800) so I'm sure hoping they're made of stronger stuff!

BryanD wrote:
great news! I wonder if a new 530 will ever show up?
You would think so. The naming convention of the Edge 1030 would seem to bring it into line with the others and suggest it's a precursor to a new Edge 530 and/or 830, but I'd be very surprised to see them any time soon. Garmin seem to space out their Edge releases very conservatively, I wonder if that's a deliberate marketing decision or some kind of development bottleneck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

ive had the 1s since they first came out, largely with no problems. however, i hate having to travel with a torque wrench. any news on whether we need one for the 3?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No idea.

I only know as much as is in the article linked in my OP i.e. that a few stock images were leaked on the website for Cycle Republic, a British-cycling retailer. Similar leaks happened for the Edge 820 and Fenix 5 and they were officially released a few weeks thereafter, so perhaps you'd expect to see some official announcement and specs before the end of the month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is it called a 1030 and not a 1020? Then it would be at line with 520 and 820. New updated versions.
And they could do the 3 series when they have something new and groundbreaking. I guess reality is that we are reaching the limit. Now it is only about making it lighter/more aero/more storage/faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine it is just a bit of future proofing. The edge 1000 hasn't had a hardware update since it's introduction so it makes people have reservations about buying the edge 1000 when there are brand new edge 810/820s and 510/520s out. It makes you unsure if the edge 1000 is going to have a hardware update or if it has been forgotten when the name is 2 generations behind the other cyclocomputers. In either event it doesn't exactly instill buyer confidence IMO. The edge 1030 name will make it feel much newer for longer. And to be fair garmin has supported updates for the edge 1000 for quite some time so it was never really forgotten it, the edge 1000 just hasn't received any hardware updates until now.

And yes awenborn, that was a good thought about the storage space in 820/1000. I had a bit of an afterthought that perhaps I shouldn't have compared the 520 to the 1000 and 820. Personally I still went with the edge 520 for the smaller profile but it was a disappointment that I have an 8 year old flash drive with more memory than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I wonder if you'll be able to swap the body for the ultegra bodies like the previous version. For me that made a big difference in the feel

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Last edited by: Callin': Aug 2, 17 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vector 1 since the beginning.. upgraded them to V2.. rarely ever a problem with them that was not related to lazy install. Once I got the hang of that.. set and forget. I no longer move them from bike to bike. I see no reason to go to V3 for lack of pods.

Sold my 1000 in april because I knew it would be coming soon... thought it would be June, but I also have an 820 and between that and my 935 watch... I'll probably be skipping this 1030 model.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always hated the look of the Vector Gen 1 and 2 which is why I bought a Quarq instead. The new Gen 3 pedals look really good.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Garmin Vector 3 picture

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Last edited by: Tillquist: Aug 3, 17 14:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As of today, you can preorder the Garmin 1030 in a German online bike shop: https://www.bike24.de/p1242775.html

The page also list some features, such as rider-to-rider direct messages...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [jay2u] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I think it'll be going public today.

Eurobike starts tomorrow, they'll have it on display there and I suspect they'll probably want to jump the gun and release the details in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garmin Presents: The Connected Cyclist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcy0Q_Z4y88
Garmin Edge 1030: Learn About Performance Features https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeiRiTvNAtg
Edge 1030: Trendlineâ„¢ Popularity Routing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwI_8eDlf_4
Garmin Edge 1030: Ride with Confidence https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv442kvLM5Y

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Last edited by: Tillquist: Aug 29, 17 2:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The price will be interesting.

Favero are releasing their Assioma pedals this month (they made the BePro, which I have), price will be 750-800 dollars, dual sided. No special installation / calibration, same concept as the P1. Even the BePro is very simple so switch between bikes.

I don't really read anything on this forum about the BePro, despite it being by far the best value for money pedal based powermeter. I live in Europe, and a lot of people I know here have switched to or first time bought the BePro.

Interesting times coming up, prices should start falling.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [bluefever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BikeRadar have a good executive summary of the Edge 1030 and Vector 3 up now; pretty much as expected. I do like the new screen and menus of the 1030, but not enough to warrant upgrading.

As for prices, they are as follows:

Edge 1030: $599 / £499.99
Vector 3: $999 / £849.99
Vector 3S: $599 / £499.99

I've not seen any Euro pricing, but given the way the Pound is going, you'd probably be better off buying it from one of the UK retailers!
Last edited by: awenborn: Aug 29, 17 5:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the new vector pedals are easier to install then Garmin might actually be onto something. Using a torque wrench any time you had to swap pedals was annoying, especially when proper torque effected power readings. For anyone that traveled or had multiple bikes the Vectors were just a really bad choice, especially when Powertap launched the p2s pedal system.

Garmin is known to make 80% of a good product and then push it to market. These new pedals finally look like the power meter they should have made 2 years ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [jarret_g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The dcrainmaker articles are up on the Vector 3 and Edge 1030. The edge looks terrible to me, huge and expensive, and I don't really see that it gets you that much over the 520/820 other than a couple gimmicky software features. On the other hand I'm impressed with the Vectors - no torque wrench required, light, look good. The price is pretty good too at $999. Powertap is going to have to drop the price of their pedals at least $200 to stay competitive.
Last edited by: cobra_kai: Aug 29, 17 6:13
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector 3 and Edge 1030 Coming Soon! [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
Interesting. I wonder if you'll be able to swap the body for the ultegra bodies like the previous version. For me that made a big difference in the feel

Wait. What? You could use the Vector spindle in other pedal bodies? I checked this out a few years back but couldn't find anything. I'll have to look again.

Did you notice any difference in accuracy? I personally don't like the Garmin/Look body and would love to keep the functionality (which has been great) but with a platform that is bit more crisp.

EDIT: Apologies. Just did a Google search. Carry on. :)
Last edited by: feedthereed: Aug 29, 17 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
£850 for the vector is quite competitive. Power tap p1 seems to be at least £100 more, and the new Garmins look much better.
Quote Reply

Prev Next