Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question
Quote | Reply
I like to think that I am fairly aware of my surroundings when I'm riding, but if I told you I always hear cars come up on me I'd be a liar.
I realize that a tail light helps make the driver aware of you, but what I'm wondering is: "How has having advanced notice of a car coming up on you changed how you ride?"
Thanks in advance!

It is also often the case that the sound of the first car, even if I hear it, masks the sound of additional cars. I have some mild hearing loss so something that helps compensate is useful.

2 other cases come immediately to mind

I used it in a recent race where the bike course was both crowded with other bikes and open to traffic. Having a rearward eye allowed me to both know when it was safe to pass while at the same time allowing me to have my eyes pay attention just to what's in front of me.

Knowing a car or cars are behind me serves a reminder to either get to the far right of the shoulder or get up on the sidewalk if available
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [Bville] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Varia won't protect me from getting rear-ended, BUT :

- when I ride my road bike in a "virtual TT position" without aero clip-ons, I can safely go to a more stable position when the Varia tells me a car is coming, so it won't blow me out

- when the Varia makes it's "beep", meaning there's a car approaching, I do sometimes look to the back to see if the car is driving straight (or if the driver looks distracted), and try to make eye-contact. It did happen that I was so scared that I left the road... I probable wouldn't have got hit, but we'll never know.

- when riding with friends two abroad, and I can accelerate to the front when a car is coming and not piss off a potentially hot-blooded road user (I won't open the debate of "it's legal where I live to ride two bikers abroad", but I prefer not to)

Not perfect, but way better than my hearing at 20mph with a headwind !
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I appreciate the insight. A couple of the roads I ride on have fairly narrow shoulders and was thinking having the radar would be a nice safety feature.

Thanks! These are all very good points. It was quite windy today and I had several cars at my back wheel before I knew they where there. Obviously got me thinking.

dj_pal is exactly right.. those are main reasons why l love mine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's also helpful to know when there are more than 1 car behind. Sometimes I have to turn across traffic and instead of multiple looks over my shoulder, I can wait until the green screen shows and the car "dots" are gone. The ability to know there are more than 1 car lined up is quite helpful to me. I am completely pleased and feel a lot safer with my variation.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Be careful, sometimes if the cars are really close to each other Varia will only beep once for the first car. Always wait for a few seconds after you get passed to make sure there isn't a second car coming. Otherwise I found it to work quite reliably.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [dj_pal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I already wear a neon green shirt and have a tail light, but I bought the Varia at the beginning of the season and feel a lot safer using it. i used to turn around frequently on bad patches of road to see if a car is coming, now I know it. I usually sit up when a car passes so they see that motion, sometimes I turn around to make eye contact. It's a game changer for me.

I really don't understand why more people don't have one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Bville and All,

While it may make you look like a Fred ......

A rear view mirror also provides cost effective information (in high definition with color) about what is behind you without turning your head ... and the batteries never go dead .... frequently used successfully by motorists and ..... "Parakeets will often peck at them, thinking they are looking at another parakeet. Apollo 11 left a mirror on the moon. It is used to reflect laser light from Earth, and with precise knowledge of the speed of light, we can measure the distance from the Earth to the moon by measuring the round-trip time of the light.."

$11.97

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm generally very alert and check the position of approaching cars that I hear coming. I've been thinking about a varia because when I'm alone and buried in intervals my situational awareness is lost.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a really great point. I like the idea that if I'm down on the aerobars i could use it as an indicator to momentarily sit up to make myself more visible to the cars coming from behind.

I ride on mostly country roads with minimal traffic (but no lines for the shoulder or center line). When cruising in a tucked position, it's often difficult for me to hear a car coming, and not the easiest to look all the way behind me without sitting up. Sometimes I need to move over to avoid a pothole or other obstacle. I still shoulder-check before moving, but having the Varia beep at me lets me know that I cannot swerve to avoid an obstacle without becoming one myself (well, it's not the Varia that beeps, it's my Edge head unit). It is also very helpful to be able to glance at the screen and quickly see if it's just one car approaching or multiple. Depending on the terrain (hills, corners, etc.), I'll sit upright when it beeps at me, until the vehicle(s) have passed.

If I was riding on busier roads, I don't think I'd find as much use for the unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello Bville and All,

A rear view mirror also provides cost effective information (in high definition with color) about what is behind you without turning your head ... and the batteries never go dead .... frequently used successfully by motorists
$11.97

I have one. Good luck getting it adjusted so you can see behind you while in an aero position. If you do manage that, you can't see a thing behind you if happen to be up on the bullhorns. I can't even manage to get it adjusted so I can see behind me from both the hoods and the drops on my road bike.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Aug 4, 17 12:24
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [chrisesposito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is it in a group ride? I do rides on the weekends sometimes where I ride 10 miles to meet up with the group solo. Then ride about 30 with the group, the 10 miles solo again. Besides the obvious benefit when I'm alone, in those middle 30 miles, there are times I'm at the back that I'd like to know if there's a car coming up to make some passes. Does it differentiate between another cyclist and a car well?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
How is it in a group ride? I do rides on the weekends sometimes where I ride 10 miles to meet up with the group solo. Then ride about 30 with the group, the 10 miles solo again. Besides the obvious benefit when I'm alone, in those middle 30 miles, there are times I'm at the back that I'd like to know if there's a car coming up to make some passes. Does it differentiate between another cyclist and a car well?

yes..
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
nealhe wrote:
Hello Bville and All,

I have one. Good luck getting it adjusted so you can see behind you while in an aero position. If you do manage that, you can't see a thing behind you if happen to be up on the bullhorns. I can't even manage to get it adjusted so I can see behind me from both the hoods and the drops on my road bike.

I agree as I tried that mirror and it doesn't work. What I found is the Rhode Gear brake handle mirror DOES work in any position and is as good as a motorcycle mirror. I highly recommend this ~$20 safety device for anyone riding on the road.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello gary p and All,

Good point ... maybe we need a new mirror design or a camera that shows the rearward image on a Garmin Varia Vision instead of just dots.

Perhaps Kevin Moats could be an expert consultant on the project since he seemed to be the focus (pun) of the no mirror rule.

I use and like the Garmin Varia Vision and would like to have the rear view for addition situational awareness.

What do you think?

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes; I've never had another cyclist trigger it; calling out "car back" from the front of the group is a bit odd though :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Varia allows me to ride much farther out in the lane than I normally would, avoiding the glass and sticks and other debris littered on the shoulder. When I hear the beep I drift back into the shoulder. Get a lot fewer flats this way.

I've had the Varia give a few false positives (tells me a car is approaching when there isn't one), but NEVER in 12 months of using it have I had a single false negative. If a car is behind me, it shows up on the screen, so I feel fairly safe riding two feet out from the shoulder. You just have to make sure you look down at the screen frequently because the beep isn't always that easy to hear.

I love my Varia and feel naked and vulnerable when riding without it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
nealhe wrote:
Hello Bville and All,

A rear view mirror also provides cost effective information (in high definition with color) about what is behind you without turning your head ... and the batteries never go dead .... frequently used successfully by motorists
$11.97

I got this mirror - it actually does work, but with a significant caveat that you really have to both practice using it, as well as adjust the position of the mirror every time you ride.

A huge part of making this mirror work is turning your head just the right amount to see what you need to see. It actually takes practice, but I got the hang of it after about 4 hours on the roads - it works really well on something like a descent on a country road where you want to take the lane but there's too much wind noise to hear any fast cars stuck behind you and its too dangerous to turn your head around constantly to check for them.
Last edited by: lightheir: Aug 4, 17 14:57
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A litttle off topic, but just to note, a varia can be linked to more than one garmin. We have had as many as 5 linked to one unit. Works well in group rides.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Varia Radar Users - Quick Question [M.E.A.T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M.E.A.T. wrote:
I've had the Varia give a few false positives (tells me a car is approaching when there isn't one), but NEVER in 12 months of using it have I had a single false negative. If a car is behind me, it shows up on the screen, so I feel fairly safe riding two feet out from the shoulder. You just have to make sure you look down at the screen frequently because the beep isn't always that easy to hear.

Agreed. I have had many false positives, usually when a riding buddy is catching back up and going much faster than me. It will often recognize bikes in those circumstances. Although, I don't necessarily mind. A 15 mph speed differential would be quite a wreck, so I'm glad for the head's up!

The only times it misses is when the road is especially curvy or hilly. Of course, it will finally beep once it sees the suddenly appearing car. Sometimes it misses a tailgating car, but knowing that liability, it is easy enough to head check before swinging out.

Although, mine is now acting up. I have the icon on the screen that signals that it is transmitting, but it will simply stop reporting. Time to call Garmin. Even if they don't fix it (likely out of warranty), I'll probably re-buy. It is a great device.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M.E.A.T. wrote:
The Varia allows me to ride much farther out in the lane than I normally would, avoiding the glass and sticks and other debris littered on the shoulder. When I hear the beep I drift back into the shoulder. Get a lot fewer flats this way.

This has been my experience with the Varia as well. I also use a mirror in addition to the Varia and mostly use the Varia to alert me when to look into the mirror if that makes sense. Once the car(s) get closer I'll move closer to the edge line (or onto the shoulder if the road has them and they're clean). I don't do many group rides, but the few i've done I liked to ride towards the back and let everyone know when cars are behind. Also helps if you're riding 2 wide on a lesser travelled road to know when to get back to single-file.

Love the Varia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M.E.A.T. wrote:
Not only fewer flats, but you're more visible to traffic riding farther out in the lane, and once you move over it gives a little extra buffer in the case when the car passes a little too close to your original position.

Quote:
I also notice occasional false positives, often after making a turn.

One situation the Varia fails is when you pass a car that is waiting to turn right from a cross road, and that car turns out behind you (so that they're now following you). I've found the Varia won't show anything, even as they pick up speed and pass you. The first time this happened to me I was a surprised, now it's something I know to watch out for. Otherwise the Varia works very well in my experience.
Last edited by: jsk: Aug 4, 17 21:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next