Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question
Quote | Reply
For those of you that are using it and running treadmills, how accurate is the pod out of the box with no calibration. Just got mine and want to run T-pace intervals on the treadmill at about 6:28/mi pace, would like to skip calibrating today, will do on another occasion.
After calibration, was it accurate at the entire range of paces or was it specific to calibrating pace used.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for me, out of the box, it was 95% accurate.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [SeasonsChange] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I guess for the first time than it will be only observation more than a reference, 5% of 6:30/mi is 20sec/mi, enough to take me over the edge. Did you notice more or less accuracy at faster paces vs. slower paces. I assume that it will be the most accurate at a stride used to calibrate it. Does that make sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
For those of you that are using it and running treadmills, how accurate is the pod out of the box with no calibration. Just got mine and want to run T-pace intervals on the treadmill at about 6:28/mi pace, would like to skip calibrating today, will do on another occasion.
After calibration, was it accurate at the entire range of paces or was it specific to calibrating pace used.
Thanks

It depends on which footpod exactly, and which head unit you're using.

But, assuming the latest generation footpod and a 310XT or newer device - it's typically accurate across the range of paces after calibration - and typically it's fairly accurate even without calibration.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/...-everything-you.html

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the foot pod to be slightly inaccurate out of the box, but not by a lot. Once calibrated (on the track) I found it to be identical to GPS.

VALÄ’RE | YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the accuracy does vary at different speeds though. it tends to overestimate your ability the faster youre going.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Always helpful. I already visited your site. It is old FR305+the newest pod. I just wanted to know if I could rely on it out of the box as I have snow and streets now, track is covered, so nowhere to calibrate it prior to a tough workout. As treadmills are notorious, I am about to use one tonight, I will still have to rely on internal clock/RPE until I get a chance to calibrate it.
Thanks guys, this has been helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the fr60, I've read your reviews and others, and calibrated the footpod on an indoor track, 800m. Seems pretty accurate at normal paces (i.e. your average foot strike cadence, or "middle pace"), but at higher speeds, when your feet may be taking more flight time, thats when the pace difference gets out of true (it actually read considerably slower, even checked against a 310xt gps). So I wanted to see what would happen if I shortened my stride as short as it can be and just vigorously running in place (looked foolish I know), and the pace shot up without me actually moving forward at all. Maybe there's something wrong with the footpod, I'm not giving up on it yet.

It may turn into a pain if I have to calibrate it and write down/change the calibration for each given workout or race that I'm going to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
I have the fr60, I've read your reviews and others, and calibrated the footpod on an indoor track, 800m. Seems pretty accurate at normal paces (i.e. your average foot strike cadence, or "middle pace"), but at higher speeds, when your feet may be taking more flight time, thats when the pace difference gets out of true (it actually read considerably slower, even checked against a 310xt gps). So I wanted to see what would happen if I shortened my stride as short as it can be and just vigorously running in place (looked foolish I know), and the pace shot up without me actually moving forward at all. Maybe there's something wrong with the footpod, I'm not giving up on it yet.

It may turn into a pain if I have to calibrate it and write down/change the calibration for each given workout or race that I'm going to do.

Out of curiosity, looking at your run cadence - does your cadence increase, decrease or stay the same when you increase pace?

For me, my cadence increases when my speed increases - which may be why my accuracy is higher than if things stayed constant.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My cadence actually stays pretty constant at around 88. I'm not sure if thats good or bad running technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the Fr60 and the thing is very accurate for me. Out of the box it was probably about 95% and after calibration I'd say it's 99% most of the time. I have seen some varience running over slow to what I'd attribute to foot slipage in my stride. Othere than that this thing is pretty spot on. I did 12 miles this past weekend and compared it to Google Earth and it was within .07....close enough for training and probably only a few seconds per mile difference. All in all I'm very happy with it and I formerly used a gps unit. DCrainmaker's review actually persuaded me to get the FR60. I love using it on the treadmil as I haven't run on too many that are very accurate and if I do doubt the fr60 reading I use the heart rate to gage how accurate the treadmill is.

John Mickle
ECI Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dcrainmaker wrote:
MikenUltra wrote:

Out of curiosity, looking at your run cadence - does your cadence increase, decrease or stay the same when you increase pace?

For me, my cadence increases when my speed increases - which may be why my accuracy is higher than if things stayed constant.

That's typically what I've seen is that my cadence increases as well with speed. However for some reason my stride legnthens out a bit on the treadmill so my cadence is usually slower on a treadmill but not by much for the same pace out on the road.

John Mickle
ECI Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [jmickle11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So if my cadence remains sort of constant instead of increasing w/speed, the pace will be off?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
So if my cadence remains sort of constant instead of increasing w/speed, the pace will be off?

Well to me that means that your stride lengthens out as your speed increases...correct? But I'm not sure that would mean accuracy would be off...I've done runs in all ranges of my training paces and the accuracy has been very good. I would think that's where the accelerometer would come into play unlike the Nike plus which from my understanding does not have an accelerometer and relies mostly on running the same pace....I've tried the Nike plus and it was horribly inaccurate for me. Does this make sense?

John Mickle
ECI Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [jmickle11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, my stride lengthens out when I'm running fast. Accelerometer or not, its off. So I guess I'm left with:

(1) Try calibrating again
(2) Call Garmin and explain the problem

Possibly I have a defective footpod. I'd be interested to see the next generation footpod/accelerometer. This one is definitely better than the previous generation, but still not perfected. But again, I'm not going to give up on the fr60.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe you could help figure this one out. Went on the treadmill, out of the box, paired easy with my FR305, not calibrated, installed on right foot per instructions. It was way off, I mean by 2min/mi at slow paces, when I ran intervals it was showing faster by 45sec-1min/mi faster. Unusable before calibration.
1. Downloaded cadence in Garmin TC was 56-58, is that one foot, so I have cadence over 100. Or is the program assigning two feet cadence based on logic?
In both cases way off, old generation pod I had was showing downloaded cadence 88-93, which where I really am.
2. As this unit previously had a pod paired, calibration number was 1000 with this new one, even though I did not do any? Could that be the reason this thing is so off.
This is a brand new pod.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember that treadmills tend to list a faster pace than actual; so calibrate your watch at the track. Also, as you increase the treadmills incline without adjusting the speed, the pace displayed doesn't change, which is inaccurate. You need to refer to this chart for an accurate pace:

http://www.trinewbies.com/..._treadmill_chart.asp

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SeasonsChange wrote:
the accuracy does vary at different speeds though. it tends to overestimate your ability the faster youre going.
x2.

I get around +4% pace/distance error when I jump from my "calibration pace" ~7:30/mile to my threshold pace (~6:10/mile) with constant cadence. So it looks like I'm going 15s/mile faster... Shocked

I mainly use the pod for long or easy runs. Threshold runs I try to do between fixed, known points + I know to mentally adjust the reading while I run fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [More Cowbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a great chart. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
Maybe you could help figure this one out. Went on the treadmill, out of the box, paired easy with my FR305, not calibrated, installed on right foot per instructions. It was way off, I mean by 2min/mi at slow paces, when I ran intervals it was showing faster by 45sec-1min/mi faster. Unusable before calibration.
1. Downloaded cadence in Garmin TC was 56-58, is that one foot, so I have cadence over 100. Or is the program assigning two feet cadence based on logic?
In both cases way off, old generation pod I had was showing downloaded cadence 88-93, which where I really am.
2. As this unit previously had a pod paired, calibration number was 1000 with this new one, even though I did not do any? Could that be the reason this thing is so off.
This is a brand new pod.
Thanks

The cadence is based on one foot. 56-58 makes me think it is missing some steps (You're more likely in the 75-90 range unless you are walking). When you look at the cadence on screen at Garmin Connect does it appear to miss/drop steps a lot? Lots of downward spikes?

That is the biggest problem with my footpod. I've installed 2 different new batteries and it still consistently misses a step every dozen or so steps, which significantly drops my pace reading and my average cadence ends up at about 71 when it really should be over 85.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:
atasic wrote:
This is a brand new pod.
Thanks

The cadence is based on one foot. 56-58 makes me think it is missing some steps (You're more likely in the 75-90 range unless you are walking). When you look at the cadence on screen at Garmin Connect does it appear to miss/drop steps a lot? Lots of downward spikes?

That is the biggest problem with my footpod. I've installed 2 different new batteries and it still consistently misses a step every dozen or so steps, which significantly drops my pace reading and my average cadence ends up at about 71 when it really should be over 85.

I had the same issue with dropouts on my FR305. Garmin sent me a replacement footpod and I still had the issue even after trying a new battery as well. I gave up on the foot pod for a while and then got a 310XT to use with my powermeter last year. The same footpod that had drop outs on the 305 now works prefectly with the 310XT and I almost never see a dropout.

ZOOT ULTRA Team
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [mancona] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that is exactly what I just did. Took it out and it did not work, I mean it was dropping left and right and never hit the pace even close. Called runningwarehouse.com where I got it, I am getting another one shipped over night. Man, I hate if I am going to get the same outcome. I will report tomorrow, but for now, newest generation pod did not work with my FR305. If the second one does not work, I am heading to Garmin Service Center as I am local to it.
Has this been a known issue. Their site lists this exact pod as the one to use.
Thanks for heads up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
Well, that is exactly what I just did. Took it out and it did not work, I mean it was dropping left and right and never hit the pace even close. Called runningwarehouse.com where I got it, I am getting another one shipped over night. Man, I hate if I am going to get the same outcome. I will report tomorrow, but for now, newest generation pod did not work with my FR305. If the second one does not work, I am heading to Garmin Service Center as I am local to it.
Has this been a known issue. Their site lists this exact pod as the one to use.
Thanks for heads up.

Hi atasic, I also have the same problem with the foot pod on my FR305, same with macona and another guy in this
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...cs_Mailbag_1844.html

Several battery changes did no fix the problem and I think it's a problem with FR305 firmware. Any news on what happend to your case?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
overall, i'm starting to get annoyed by the inaccuracy. great on long slow runs but as soon as I pick up the pace it becomes inaccurate.

yesterday ran a 13.53 mile half marathon with the foot pod calibrated. 13 secs per mile wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Foot Pod Accuracy Question [cyclingdoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems like most of the footpod issues are tied to the 305...I've got the fr60 and it's dead on. I've run 5K, 10K, and 15K races as well as runs ranging from 6 to 20 miles training at various paces and it's rarely been off.

John Mickle
ECI Endurance
Quote Reply

Prev Next