Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin FR935 release [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the Fenix 3 doesn't support the newer ConnectIQ 2.2.3+ so the TP app will be compatible with the following out of the gate.

Edge 520/820/1000
735xt
Fenix5 (all variants)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking the time to reply to this.

Do you think there's any chance of fenix 3 support down the line? Just off-the-record... ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would never say never, but I know the hardware on the 735xt (and newer devices) is much faster than the Fenix 3, and they pushed the specs on the 3 pretty far from my understanding.

The ConnectIQ Developer section has a bit of the roadmap/devices on it link below:

https://developer.garmin.com/.../compatible-devices/

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a shame, but I'll look forward to trying it out on my Edge at least!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I won't believe it until its on my wrist...who knows it could be an early April Fools joke
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
I won't believe it until its on my wrist...who knows it could be an early April Fools joke

hahahahahhahhahahaha

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [JayPeeWhy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
Talked to 2 Garmin bigwigs at the LA Marathon expo this morning...

I told him I like the square face as it allows for a nice 4 quad layout and having the lap button on the face makes it easy to hit at intervals. He said their feedback is folks like the round face and more people like to wear the watch all day as a regular watch and somehow a square face detracts from that? I think garmin is trying to play to both the casual sport data collection person and the hard core tri/ ultra runner and may miss the mark former.

This is what annoys me. I don't wear my 920 every day & I would not wear any Garmin as my daily watch. It serves a purpose & that is to track my workouts. At my peak, I will be putting in 100+ SBR miles a week. I don't need to wear an activity tracker to tell me if I walked 10,000 steps today. The Fenix Sapphire is the closest thing to a smartwatch that I would wear daily, but even that is more than I want or need.

The square face on the 910 & 920 has been a proven standard for years. Why they want to mess with that is beyond me. I get that they say that it makes ConnectIQ development easier when all faces are round, but when they are charging what they are charging for these devices, they should deliver on the core needs for the core purpose of the watch, not on ancillary BS like making the watch stylish for everyday use. Oh, and the #1 smartwatch on the market today has a square face. Just saying.

JayPeeWhy wrote:
Who buys a dress watch these days? Seriously.

I wear a Rolex GMT-II every day. I have a second Rolex that was passed down to me from my grandfather that he got in 1964 & I wear that for special occasions. I get that millenials have their phones to tell time & think mechanical watches are pointless, but Swiss watches are still a $6B+ a year industry. In the first year of the Apple Watch's explosive growth, they still fell short of one brand. While they have since surpassed Rolex, no one will be passing a smart watch down to their grandchildren for the next 60-80-100 years. Smart watches are $600 disposable goods with a lifespan of 3-5 years. When I look at my wrist, I want something that will reliably tell me the time, and will also be (ironically) a timeless work of art.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

I Oh, and the #1 smartwatch on the market today has a square face. Just saying.

I imagine that they would be the #1 smart watch if it were round or oval or even shaped like a pear.

I'm migrating from my 910xt to the 5s since it will also replace my apple watch as a day to day device. I look forward to the always on display.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [tri.bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri.bob wrote:
Meathead wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

Oh, and the #1 smartwatch on the market today has a square face. Just saying.

I imagine that they would be the #1 smart watch if it were round or oval or even shaped like a pear.

I'm migrating from my 910xt to the 5s since it will also replace my apple watch as a day to day device. I look forward to the always on display.

You are making my point there. If you make a device that has what the customer wants, the shape is not an issue. Garmin is saying that they are going to round faces because it makes the watch more appealing to wear all the time. I argue that if you give people what they want in a watch, including a more readable display, they won't care about the aesthetics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:
tri.bob wrote:
Meathead wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

Oh, and the #1 smartwatch on the market today has a square face. Just saying.

You are making my point there. If you make a device that has what the customer wants, the shape is not an issue. Garmin is saying that they are going to round faces because it makes the watch more appealing to wear all the time. I argue that if you give people what they want in a watch, including a more readable display, they won't care about the aesthetics.

I actually didn't care for the square face of the 920. I wear my watch 24x7 and the 920 looked odd/archaic......I dumped it for the 735 (I only use the watch on the run, I have a separate bike computer). Glad the 935 is round.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love new gadgets, but this looks like a POS. A "plastic" version of the Fenix 5? This is no upgrade from the 920, imo.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now how long until we see the 920 price drop!?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's already dropped.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where? Places I've been watching have been the same...

BryanD wrote:
It's already dropped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
920 has been around $260 on Amazon for a while now.

$300 for the run bundle (accelerometers in HRM) which is great value considering that strap is over $100 by itself.
Quote Reply
Re: dcrainmaker review [ericallenboyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feature comparison chart vs a few other Garmin models, including the 920
Last edited by: JoeO: Mar 29, 17 11:19
Quote Reply
Re: dcrainmaker review [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN. What happened to Texas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any reason to keep my 735xt? I may swap it out for the 935. Longer battery life is the biggest deal for me, but altimeter is nice too.

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [RudeDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd sell it. I passed on the 735 because I saw it as a temporary solution.

Quote Reply
Re: dcrainmaker review [TriathlonJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonJoe wrote:
GMAN. What happened to Texas?

Two of the last four months I couldn't train due to illness or injury. So I bailed.

The race is still a go if that's what you're worried about. Weather looks like total shit though.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I was ignorant, but luckily I bought from a store w/ 60 day return policy :)

2017 races: St. George 70.3 May 6 | Madison 70.3 June 11 | IM Zurich July 30 | Chicago Marathon October 8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meathead wrote:

JayPeeWhy wrote:

I wear a Rolex GMT-II every day. I have a second Rolex that was passed down to me from my grandfather that he got in 1964 & I wear that for special occasions. I get that millenials have their phones to tell time & think mechanical watches are pointless, but Swiss watches are still a $6B+ a year industry. In the first year of the Apple Watch's explosive growth, they still fell short of one brand. While they have since surpassed Rolex, no one will be passing a smart watch down to their grandchildren for the next 60-80-100 years. Smart watches are $600 disposable goods with a lifespan of 3-5 years. When I look at my wrist, I want something that will reliably tell me the time, and will also be (ironically) a timeless work of art.

I'm not a millennial (47 years old) but I think watches for the sake of telling time are indeed pointless. I can't stand jewelry in general so the thought of wearing a watch as some kind of fashion accessory or status symbol is even less appealing but that's just my personal opinion. To each their own. I don't get the fuss about expensive watches but I understand that it's no different than people not getting the fuss about expensive bikes, to which I have owned several.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin FR935 release [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Meathead wrote:

JayPeeWhy wrote:

I'm not a millennial (47 years old) but I think watches for the sake of telling time are indeed pointless. I can't stand jewelry in general so the thought of wearing a watch as some kind of fashion accessory or status symbol is even less appealing but that's just my personal opinion. To each their own. I don't get the fuss about expensive watches but I understand that it's no different than people not getting the fuss about expensive bikes, to which I have owned several.
I'd have to agree with Meathead. I'm also 47 by the way. My daily wear is a U-Boat which I love for it's aesthetics and it's 'unusualness' in that hardly anyone is one. Certainly here in NZ. I also have a 1969 Omega which was bought for my 40th birthday. That is a timeless piece of beauty that no smartwatch will ever surpass.

That said other people aren't like me hence Garmins change.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh! Price drop is a kneejerk reaction. 920XT, as the last square face 900 series, is going *up* in value. :)

I really like the square face (my eyes are not getting any younger and I prefer the visibility available with the square layout v round) but I don't know if I'm *that* opposed to round. And, although I like some of the new features on the 935 (and Fenix), I'd also like to stay married. My 920XT, with the running dynamics HR strap, was - I dunno - $450 about 14 months ago. I just can't sell the value proposition at home to get a few more metrics / OHR (which would require the new footpod with the 935 to reacquire running dynamics with OHR - oh, how devious, Garmin!) and be on track to buy $400-$500 GPS/HRM watches every 18 months... And, I know this comes as a huge shock to our community - but I'm not a professional triathlete. So, for my purposes, it will likely be the 920XT for a few more years. Maybe I'll be on the every-other-device upgrade cycle. I went from a 305 to a 920XT - I guess that I skipped *two* models between those!
Quote Reply

Prev Next