Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride?
Quote | Reply
Trying to setup the views on my Edge and this is what I have from top to bottom (6 stats total)

Cadence
Speed
Distance
Elev% / Time Of Day

What are you folks looking at? I am curious to know!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In a race: 3s power, 10s power, average power last lap

When I'm training: 3s power, grade, heart rate, distance, cadence
Last edited by: Drdan: Aug 2, 15 12:02
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7 fields:
Time
Speed, avg speed
Ttl ascent, distance
Hr, avg hr

I have another screen with both elevation and ttl ascent that I can flip to. Usually I wouldn't care so much about elevation but I'm getting ready for Leadville and want to know where I am in relation to the elevation of the passes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race/Ride:
3s power
Cadence
Distance
Lap distance

Trainer:
3s power
Cadence
HR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3s Power
% FTP
Cadence
Distance
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn a lot of you guys working with power meters, I kinda use my cadence as a indicator but still not sure if its worth spending the money on a PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like speed, cadence doesn't do much good. A PM is worth every penny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elapsed Time
Power 30s, Power
Cadence, Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a few screens set up, but i pretty much just keep it on one. same thing for training and racing.

power (10s...i think)
lap avg pwr | HR
lap time | cadence/lap dist

the bottom right one is usually cadence for training and lap distance for racing.
Last edited by: climber7: Aug 2, 15 16:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speed, Average Speed
3s power, Normalized Power
Cadence, Heart Rate
Distance, Time

I have other screens for various purposes (FTP test day for example) but this is what I normally look at.

On a trainer I don't bother even looking at my screens as I use it to record data but generally am watching the Trainer Road screen for realtime info
Last edited by: noofus: Aug 2, 15 16:56
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
regular ride/trainer ride

3s power
speed/riding time (outside it's speed, trainer is riding time)
hr
cadence
time of day
riding time
distance

hilly ride
3s power
hr
cadence
% grade
time of day
riding time
distance

ftp testing or when i just want to hold a steady pace on along stretch
3s power
cadence
hr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:
Trying to setup the views on my Edge and this is what I have from top to bottom (6 stats total)

Cadence
Speed
Distance
Elev% / Time Of Day

What are you folks looking at? I am curious to know!

I have several screens set up, but when racing I just keep it on this one:
Power 3s
Speed
Elapsed Time
Heart Rate
Average Speed
Distance

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winter:

Time;
Distance;
Cadence;
Clock.

(But occasionally I'll just have the clock on, as sometimes it's just about riding your bike and knowing what time you need to/ should turn back)

Training:

Time;
Power (10s);
Cadence;
Distance

Bike racing:

Time
Power (10s)
Distance

(but I usually don't look at the stem as it's a distraction from what's going on)

(Tri) Bike leg or TT

Time
Power (10s)
Cadence
HR
Distance

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by f_ahsile04 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Primary screen (7 fields):

3s Power
Lap NP / Lap Power (This is for the current lap - this comparison is helpful for me particularly when riding a hilly course)
Speed / Distance
Cadence / % Grade

2nd screen that I may occasionally look at (but honestly rarely look at unless I want to see my HR or overall time):
Total Time
Avg Power / Avg NP (This is average for the whole ride)
Avg Speed (This is average for the whole ride)
HR / Distance

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edge 500 - two screens with only 4 things on a screen, which is easier for me to see. Rolling between screens. I only use 3rd screen for intervals

HR
Speed
Avg Speed
Total time

3 sec power
10 sec power
30 sec power
Grade

Screen 3, only when I plan to do intervals
3 sec power
10 sec power
30 sec power
Lap time, which I only use when I'm doing intervals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same for training and racing...not sure I am optimum, but this is what I have:

Time
Power (3s average)
Speed
Ave Speed
Distance
Cadence

I'd love critique and tips.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power is key for sure!

I have a couple screens, but I pretty much only look at one. I just added six, but five was the norm for a really long time.

3 second power
HR
Cadence
average power
lap time
kj
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have to agree. Cadence and hr are more of informational metrics these days.

My set up - 3 screens.

Screen 1
time
distance
current speed
power 3 sec/10 sec/30 sec
grade

Screen 2

hr avg
cadence avg
ascent
time of the day
calories

Screen 3

time lap
distance lap
speed lap
power 3 sec
power 10 sec
power avg lap

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised at how many people look at speed when they have a powermeter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know - REAL TIME - how much ass I am kicking in my local Strava segments, thank you very much :)

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually just go by time for that.

Here are my screens:

Group Rides
3s Power
Lap Time/Distance
Time of Day/Cadence

Intervals/TT
3s Power
Lap Time
Lap Power

Road Racing
3s Power
Lap Time
Lap Power/Distance

Random Stuff
kJ
TSS
Elevation/Total Elevation
Temperature/Power Balance
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [durk onion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're surprised that people with power meters look at speed...why do you look at distance?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Edge Users: what stats are you tracking when you ride? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a powermeter, you should be pacing yourself by power and your speed is what it is based on a variety of conditions (grade, wind, drafting, etc.) Speed does not provide actionable information.

For road racing, I look at distance so I know how far it is to the decisive points (turn arounds, climbs, etc.) For group rides I use it to know how far away from home I am and if I should turn around early or go longer based on what time it is. You could do the same with average speed but the math is harder and I assume that most people are talking about instantaneous speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
durk onion wrote:
If you have a powermeter, you should be pacing yourself by power and your speed is what it is based on a variety of conditions (grade, wind, drafting, etc.) Speed does not provide actionable information.

For road racing, I look at distance so I know how far it is to the decisive points (turn arounds, climbs, etc.) For group rides I use it to know how far away from home I am and if I should turn around early or go longer based on what time it is. You could do the same with average speed but the math is harder and I assume that most people are talking about instantaneous speed.

I display instant speed on my screen but don't use it to pace. Like your situations with distance, it's not something I am constantly using but it can come in handy when you know you need to get X distance in Y amount of time. Not in terms of racing...but if you're going to be late for work on a commute, you need to meet up with the start of a group ride and are running late...etc. You can't just say I'm going to push 235 watts and I should be okay because speed doesn't matter.

I also use speed to make sure I'm not speeding while riding through some military areas...since the SPs have no issue with pulling you over if you're 5 mph over the speed limit on a 8% downhill. And heaven forbid you go over 15 mph in a military housing area.
Quote Reply

Prev Next