Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Courses/Maps: first try today
Quote | Reply
I'm doing my first 100 running race in May and found someone who previously completed the race on Garmin Connect and uploaded the file into my Fenix 3 courses. I'm new to the watch and the course function for use as navigation, but if it works well it would be a great tool to aid me along with my navigation cue sheet since the course won't be marked.

The race is in another state the first time I will try out that particular course will be race day. So I created a 6.5 mile course around my house and tried that out today to see how the course function works/operates. It was a little glitchy but worked well for the most part. Only one part of the run showed me off course when I was actually on course but corrected itself once I made the next turn. I did some things like run backwards or leave the course intentionally to see how it would handle things and it seemed to work just fine once I got back on the prescribed path.

How has this function worked for any of you who've used it for longer distances? Is it better or worse in UltraTrac mode? Any experiences you can share would be appreciated.
Last edited by: SwiftRunner: Mar 4, 17 20:03
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Courses/Maps: first try today [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used it to download long bike courses that others have load and it works about the same as you just described. It occasionally says off course when I am on course depends on the satellite connection.

http://www.toughmantri.com

https://robinsonsstrengthandendurancecoaching.wordpress.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Being that your race is a 100 I'm assuming it's a trail race. In which case I wouldn't rely on it too much on race day for a couple of reasons. One, GPS can't get a bit wonky in tight windy trails. Two, trail races change routes all the time due to various reasons from year to year. You could have your watch beeping at you quite a bit while being exactly where you should be. Something to think about.

Btw, I've used it for bike rides in Europe without any problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As stated earlier, it will not work as well in a trail race than in your neighborhood.
Additionally, Ultra-trac mode will make it even worse.

I would leave it off OR check whether you can easily disable/enable the beeps or whole mode in case it doesn't work.

Which 100 is it?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Courses/Maps: first try today [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
As stated earlier, it will not work as well in a trail race than in your neighborhood.
Additionally, Ultra-trac mode will make it even worse.

I would leave it off OR check whether you can easily disable/enable the beeps or whole mode in case it doesn't work.

Which 100 is it?

It's the Booneville Back roads 100 near Des Moines, IA. http://boonevillebackroadsultra.com/

Most of the run will be long stretches of gravel roads so I feel a little more confident it will work well based on the above responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah. It should work just fine on that.
Still, it'd be nice to know ahead of time if you can disable it. On occasion, it'll just randomly get angry and still say you are off-course. I would not want to deal with that late in any race, let alone an ultra.
Quote Reply