What would you like out of the 930xt?

HRM integrated in watch
improved battery
improved screen visibility
di2 support
temp support
3G/LTE support w/ Emergency App
not fugly.

910 was out for quite a while before 920 was announced. I doubt they will replace it yearly.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the fenix 3 was released less than a year after the fenix 2

i think garmin is still missing a product that has all day hr monitoring like apple or fitbit that is premium.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lose the barometric altimeter. It was the trade off for me upgrading from the 310xt to the 910xt in order to gain the GPS tracking during the swim (which only confirms how awful I am in the water).

Agree on the fug. I see the tri pack has a more dignified color scheme, but still, the thing looks like the bitchin' Swatches I wore in the eighties.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [cmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^ lol bitchin. :) Rad comment.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [cmorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 310 has an open water swim mode. Can't say how accurate it is since I always put mine in my swim cap, but the option is in the menu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
It was about a year ago now when Garmin announced the 920xt

are we due for an update soon?

What would you like out of the 930xt?

HRM integrated in watch
improved battery

improved screen visibility
di2 support
temp support
3G/LTE support w/ Emergency App
not fugly.

Doing the two things in bold together will be hard. The LED-type sensors take quite a bit of juice.

Also... I have had no issues with battery life with mine. Mine has lasted through an 11hr IM just fine with plenty of battery left. I am sure it would last close to, if not all the way to, 17hrs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very unlikely this soon.

when they do, make it slimmer/less bulky.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My guess is that they will release the next version at Kona next year.
2 years seems to be the life cycle of these things nowadays.

For the next version, I would like to see them make more use of the physical screen size rather than the really big border around the actual display.

I was also thinking the other day that it might be a good idea to make the screen wider (so it extends maybe 1cm farther towards your hand and elbow). That way it could be mounted "vertically" on your bike and allow for 6 data fields when riding (the software would rotate the screen when in cycling mode).

ETA - A screen shape a little like this one:

Last edited by: Liaman: Oct 13, 15 2:52
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently there is actually a new Forerunner 630 in the immediate pipeline. The overview and specs were accidentally posted on the Garmin UK site a couple of weeks back, along with placeholder for something called "Garmin Index(TM) Smart Scales" which I was more interested in.

It didn't look as though there was anything particularly groundbreaking in the leaked details though. The physical specifications (i.e. overall dimensions, screen size, weight etc) were identical to the 620, so it looks likely that it could be exactly the same form factor, just some updated internals to bring it into line with all the other current Garmin products.

I started a thread with all the details, but I don't think there was much interest in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 920 died in the 13th hour of my race. What's the trick, turn bluetooth off? That's what I'm planning for this w/e, though truthfully on the B2B course I think I'm having a very bad day if I'm out long enough for my watch to die again. Ps, is battery life impacted by a power meter? (Extra data to record?)

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Oct 13, 15 4:26
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turning off Bluetooth, Glossnass and Wifi should help. The power meter won't impact battery life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the general consensus was that power meter recording has a significant negative impact on battery life. Lots of extra processing power required for the numerous calculations that occur on the watch-side the whole time you're recording power data (rolling power averages, NP, TSS, IF etc etc etc); it's not just a simple case of recording one extra stream of data.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [aw3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aw3 wrote:
Apparently there is actually a new Forerunner 630 in the immediate pipeline. The overview and specs were accidentally posted on the Garmin UK site a couple of weeks back, along with placeholder for something called "Garmin Index(TM) Smart Scales" which I was more interested in.

It didn't look as though there was anything particularly groundbreaking in the leaked details though. The physical specifications (i.e. overall dimensions, screen size, weight etc) were identical to the 620, so it looks likely that it could be exactly the same form factor, just some updated internals to bring it into line with all the other current Garmin products.

I started a thread with all the details, but I don't think there was much interest in it.

That no doubt will trickle to the 930xt

Thanks for sharing ; link?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Search is your friend ;)

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5714665

JP
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [jpbari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went digging

Garmin forums seemed to have deleted the links to photos and specs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder if Ray will chime in.

He may be under non-disclosure, but he will debunk if he knows it isn't true...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [jpbari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well garmin is at a crossroads

Integrate the hrm on their top end watch

Or have them buy the hrm tri or run

Imo run dynamics have been little use for me.

I'm ready to get rid of my chest trap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that's likely to be honest.

Firstly it would mean closing off one of Garmin's big marketing angles for their top-of-range models, namely the running dynamics and swim-HR stuff. I admit that most of the time I don't find it particularly useful either, but "MORE DATA!!!" is always a good marketing angle to push a product ahead of it's competitors.

Secondly, I remember Ray mentioning, possibly in one of his podcasts, that Garmin did the integrated optical HR in the FR225 as a way to test the water in the marketplace rather than a sign of a concrete business direction. It was partially in response to the buzz that the integrated HRM in the Apple iWatch created.

Either way, I trust my chest-strap so I'm happy to keep it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had all of the alerts, Bluetooth, wifi, and anything else I could find to turn off and it did not make it through my 13:54 IMLouisville. It died around 13 hr mark. Also PM started giving wonky readings at around 80 miles so I switched screens so I didn't see the crazy numbers. It was saying I was 2% of FTP while climbing.
Frustrating but just something to address and move on during a long day. After the fact I would love some answers from Garmin as to why I upgraded to a 920 and get worse performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [Tri_Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You may want to contact Garmin about that...I did Louisville as well, had a lap alert every mile (bluetooth/wifi off), and had 40% battery left at the end. I've also worn it as an every day watch/activity tracker since December. That might be an issue with your particular watch's battery.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [cme18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information. Calling now. I will post results of call
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [Tri_Scott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Set it to "smart" recording, along with turning off the activity tracker, bluetooth, and Wifi. I did a 12 hour event Sunday and still had about half the battery left.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They told me to do a battery calibration. Charge 4 hrs. Set an activity and let it run until dead. Then charge 4 hrs.
Also said if the other doesn't work to attach to computer and delete activities file, courses file, settings file and new file.
Garmin was very helpful and seemed to care about the situation.
I will post as I get these steps finished.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 930xt Announcement? [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so the 930 will not be updated hardware? smaller/slimmer?
Quote Reply

Prev Next