Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain
Quote | Reply
Updated my 920xt a few days back ... and all of a sudden the battery drain is insanely bad. I completed a winter multisport endurance race today and was totally worried my watch would die. The event only took me just under two and a half hours and the battery went from 90% down to 20% ... no HRM or anything.
Sad Garmin owner ;(
Yadal
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Yadal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, not on mine and there's nothing popped up in the Garmin forums to date.

Have you added any watch faces etc? Mine is as delivered with nothing extra loaded.

First thing is to remove anything you might have added. Next power cycle the device. If still no good, try a hard reset.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Yadal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never had an issue with my 920, had it for over a year, but since this update it keeps on freezing on the "Garmin" startup screen and I have to do a master reset...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No issues here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would have said no yesterday but had it well charged yesterday, went for a 9 mile run, still looked fine so I didn't think to charge it overnight. Grabbed it this morning to go for a swim and it was dead when I got to the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, I noticed it (thought it was just me).

No idea what to do about it. I used to charge it once a week, but now I'm lucky to get 3 days out of it, and I'm only using it for run and swim right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
Never had an issue with my 920, had it for over a year, but since this update it keeps on freezing on the "Garmin" startup screen and I have to do a master reset...

I've had more than a few times where I have it charging and the screen locks up never updating the charging progress. I'll eventually remove it and have to do a reset and it will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. Even without use the GPS for activities to only last about 3-4 days before it needs a charge. I also find it doesn't connect with my phone as easy as it used to.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
No issues here.
+1

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a huge battery drain also. I discovered I was using GLONAS and I turned it off. The battery life did improve a lot.
Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the folks who are not experiencing the battery drain can check their settings and see if we all have the same thing? I notice that sometimes with the firmware updates settings will get changed.

My watch currently (to the best of my recollection I've used these settings since new):
Wifi: Auto upload
Bluetooth: Off
Activity Tracking: On
Move Alert: Off
Back Light: Keys / Alert
Time Out: 8 sec
Sounds:
Key Tones: Off
Alert Tones: On
Vibration: On
Glonass: Off

I notice the battery drains quickly on mine now whether I'm recording work outs or not. Even in watch mode it needs to be recharged inside 3 days, where I used to go more than a week even with the odd workout.

EDIT: Double checked and I am on Software Version 9.20, GPS Version 3.00, and have no extra apps or watch faces installed.
Last edited by: captain-tri: Feb 13, 17 7:16
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
Maybe the folks who are not experiencing the battery drain can check their settings and see if we all have the same thing? I notice that sometimes with the firmware updates settings will get changed.

My watch currently (to the best of my recollection I've used these settings since new):
Sounds:

I notice the battery drains quickly on mine now whether I'm recording work outs or not. Even in watch mode it needs to be recharged inside 3 days, where I used to go more than a week even with the odd workout.
I do not have any battery drain issues. I charge maybe twice/week. I do not use it for the bike; it does get used for activity tracking, runs, and swims. I noted the differences in my settings w/ bold.

Bluetooth: On
Time Out: 15 sec
Sounds:
Glonass: On

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wifi upload is a huge battery drain. It's always on searching for wifi (even the one you have it configured with). I would turn that off and do Bluetooth uploads and then turn off Bluetooth off on tourneys phone when done. My settings are similar to yours with 9.20 update and my battery seems to be the same.

captain-tri wrote:

Sounds:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weird. And you're definitely on Software V. 9.20?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
Weird. And you're definitely on Software V. 9.20?
yes, w/ GPS v3.00

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigertater wrote:
Wifi upload is a huge battery drain...

I could try that. I guess for me [and presumably others] the noodle scratcher is that I've used these settings since the watch came out of the box a year+ ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Tigertater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tigertater wrote:
Wifi upload is a huge battery drain. It's always on searching for wifi (even the one you have it configured with).

I don't think that's true. I believe it only searches for wifi if an activity has just been completed and there is no phone connected via bluetooth. DCR can provide more info, but he implies as much on post #145 in the comments on the 920xt review page.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did before rebooting my watch...

Upgraded to 9.2 and slapped my watch on and went to a wrestling tournament. Watch was also charged to 100%. Looked at my wrist walking into the event and noted my background had changed to a different one I created with the Garmin Face it app. I changed it back... spent the day at the tournament and my watch almost completely ran down.

I restarted it and recharged the next day and it has been fine since. Initially though it just was acting weird and discharge within a day of me not doing anything with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying this now, and will report back if anything changes. In the interim I'll be following this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No issues here... yet.

Software Version 9.2
GPS Version 3.00

This thread is a good warning for me to not do a software update the week of a big race.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My settings are pretty much the same, although I'd need to check if the wifi is turned on as I don't really use it - use bluetooth or cable to upload. I do get the feeling that battery capacity has degraded some over the 2 years I've had it, but can still get around 14hrs of activity and nearly a week of 'constant on' before I need to recharge. I don't wear it as an every day watch anymore but, It's always left on.

One thing I always do after a software update is reboot the device - shut down and restart. It's too easy these days to leave them on all the time. I think, like a Windows computer, they benefit from a reboot occasionally.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the upgrade and my watch died 35 min into a 40min run with 38% charge when I started. That never happened before. I charged it to 100% now and will be keeping an eye on it.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the upgrade my battery would drain in a day. Turning off the wifi did not help. Turning off the Connect IQ watch face fixed the problem for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920xt - 9.20 update - Anyone else having huge battery drain [Ironnerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^^This^^^^

If you do have any problems after an update, the first thing you need to do is to restart the device. If that doesn't fix it, remove any add-ons and restart again. That usually fixes most issues. Once you've identified the offending add-on, you can contact the developer for an updated version.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply

Prev Next