Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Garmin 920 Battery Life
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up in its own spot so people can learn from my experience...

Went out for long run today and the Low Battery warning came on after 45 min. I had 1hr 45min to go...the next warning came about 1:15 later, then again, 15 min later, then 10min, then 5.

Just as I was about to upload via wifi it died, so it was about 2hrs of use after the first Low Battery warning. Had on wifi, GPS/ GLONASS, w/o screen rotation.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Certainly good to know.
Thanks for sharing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it fully charged pre-run?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  Wearing the watch in "everyday" mode, the only warning I got was when I attempted to upload via WiFi and it said there wasn't enough power to do the upload. No other warnings, it just shut off when all power was depleted. The little battery indicator was just an outline near the end and when I went to recharge it, it said "0% charged". I emailed Garmin to see if I could display % charged as one of the data fields but it isn't available so you have to "guess" with the battery indicator.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x% battery life is way better than an ambiguous blob for sure. Let's hope they fix that.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not that hard to see when the battery life is near end. There's no need to wait until it dies before putting it on charge so why wait and take the chance of it dying on you?

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PhilipShambrook wrote:
It's not that hard to see when the battery life is near end. There's no need to wait until it dies before putting it on charge so why wait and take the chance of it dying on you?

There are only so many charge cycles these things can take. I have a Garmin 910xt that gets about 45 mins with a full charge now. I used it everyday and charged at night - kind of wish I didn't now.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
There are only so many charge cycles these things can take. I have a Garmin 910xt that gets about 45 mins with a full charge now. I used it everyday and charged at night - kind of wish I didn't now.

Is this true? I keep hearing conflicting "opinions". Does anyone actually know for sure?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [PhilipShambrook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you do long workouts, you want to know how long it has left so it doesn't die on you 4 hours in. Once you know percentage, you know time left. When you know time left, you can correctly decide if you need to charge it now or charge it when you get home. Accuracy leads to clarity, clarity leads to better living.

Your speedometer in your car has numbers, not "slowish, medium, faster."

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Last edited by: texafornia: Dec 16, 14 3:59
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that applied to old nickel-based batteries - those batteries did have a 'memory' so best practice was to pretty much fully discharge them before charging again. With lithium-ion batteries (pretty much everything now), it's best to keep them north of 50 percent, but a full discharge every month or so may be useful.

Based on my research trying to figure out the best way to treat my batteries, this seems to be the current consensus.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bet looking at mine I can see within 5% of what is left, thats close enough. Even if it said 2%, you do not know exactly how long 1% is. To many variables from temp to what mode using in ect..You can always return and get a V800
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Probably time to contact Garmin about getting a warranty replacement. My understanding is that unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not require deep-discharge cycles with the exception that to avoid a 'digital memory' condition, the batteries should be allowed to almost completely discharge after ~30 to 35 charge cycles.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Dec 16, 14 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. True. I could always use a sundial and sacrifice a chicken.

Found a pattern with the 920 and iPhone. When it stops showing smartwatch alerts, the fix is to turn bluetooth on and off on the phone. I tried turning it on and off on the watch, rebooting the watch, restarting the iphone app... nothing worked. But turning bt off and back on the phone fixed it.

Edit - Just realized that second part should go in the regular 920 thread. Meh.

Last edited by: texafornia: Dec 16, 14 7:08
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Probably time to contact Garmin about getting a warranty replacement. My understanding is that unlike NiCad batteries, lithium-ion batteries do not require deep-discharge cycles with the exception that to avoid a 'digital memory' condition, the batteries should be allowed to almost completely discharge after ~30 to 35 charge cycles.

This is absolutely not true and this is not the first time I have had the problem. I have a Garmin Edge that now gets about 1 hour as well. Think about all the people with iPhones with non-replaceable batteries and complain that there batteries go from 50 to 0 in about 5 minutes. Think about all the laptop batteries that have the same thing. I know I am heavy on my Garmin devices using them everyday but batteries still have limitations. Garmin has 1-year warranty - the problem with the batteries is it unlikely to show up for a couple of years at least.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a 910 for since Feb 2012 when they came out. I looked at my logs, I have not trained for 51 days in that time. I take off and put on charger daily, I have not had the problem you have had. Training for my last ultra it was good on 8 hrs. Have not used longer than that. (no point in a 100, won't last). I am lucky. Batteries go bad or a number of reasons. Mostly due to cold and heat, not so much on charge cycles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
I have had a 910 for since Feb 2012 when they came out. I looked at my logs, I have not trained for 51 days in that time. I take off and put on charger daily, I have not had the problem you have had. Training for my last ultra it was good on 8 hrs. Have not used longer than that. (no point in a 100, won't last). I am lucky. Batteries go bad or a number of reasons. Mostly due to cold and heat, not so much on charge cycles.

Here was the first "I'm feeling lucky result" on Google. Correlates with everything else I have seen and experienced with batteries. I can guarantee if you took the initial total up time of your new 910xt versus today it would be significantly less. Maybe it still lasts the 8hrs - but to me it sounds like a great time to resell it while it still has a charge.

http://batteryuniversity.com/...hium_based_batteries

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about your iPod/iPhone/iOs device? Smile

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I have a Garmin Edge that now gets about 1 hour as well.

I am sensing a trend here with your rechargeable electronic devices. Did you try a hard reset? If that did not work, then start a support ticket with Garmin to get it repaired/replaced.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Dec 16, 14 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. That test says the cycle is for battery fully discharged. So as the battery ages, life goes done. It did not say anything about cycles from a battery not fully discharged. Also it states heat is a bigger culprit. See about NOT fully discharging
paste from article
Table 2: Cycle life as a function of
depth of discharge

A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life.

So you get increased discharge cycles if not fully discharged. at 1200 to 1500, thats charging everyday for 3+ to 4+ years.. More if not 50% discharge. So using a 910 for an avg of 3 hrs a day you should have much more left.
+

Depth of discharge

Discharge cycles

Table 2: Cycle life as a function of
depth of discharge

A partial discharge reduces stress and prolongs battery life. Elevated temperature and high currents also affect cycle life.

100% DoD

50% DoD

25% DoD

10% DoD

300 – 500

1,200 – 1,500

2,000 – 2,500

3,750 – 4,700

Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Is this true? I keep hearing conflicting "opinions". Does anyone actually know for sure?

Myth! Always have kept 310s and 910s fully charged after use up to 6 days a week and still good. Not saying there won't be some dodgy batteries out there, but it's not the problem it used to be.

If you know you are going to do a long workout then make sure the bloody things charged before you start. It's not rocket science is it? If you don't want to keep it on charge, then don't. Just make sure it's got enough charge to do what you want it to do before you start. if in doubt, put it on charge! A numerical %age is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. it's not going to tell you how much time you have left anymore than the last little bit of blob in the battery display.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Last edited by: PhilipShambrook: Dec 17, 14 0:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Kenney wrote:

Here was the first "I'm feeling lucky result" on Google. Correlates with everything else I have seen and experienced with batteries. I can guarantee if you took the initial total up time of your new 910xt versus today it would be significantly less. Maybe it still lasts the 8hrs - but to me it sounds like a great time to resell it while it still has a charge.

Tom, like others suggested...contact garmin to see what they can do.
Sent my 310 in out of warranty cause of battery issues...the online protocol showed they didn't even try to find an error but sending out a new 310.
My wife just asked for support on her 305, there she just got an offer for a 310 for about 200 bucks.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 920 Battery Life [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Kenney wrote:

Tom, like others suggested...contact garmin to see what they can do.
Sent my 310 in out of warranty cause of battery issues...the online protocol showed they didn't even try to find an error but sending out a new 310.
My wife just asked for support on her 305, there she just got an offer for a 310 for about 200 bucks.

That might be what I do down the road. Last time I was quoted $99.99 + shipping for repair but I still use it for short 30 mins runs and what not and works fine. I understand that manufacturers want to create the tiniest devices possible, and they also expect people to upgrade, but as a genuine minimalist, environmentalist, and a person who would rather have something work that is integrated into the process-orientated nature of my life, I would just prefer to keep using older devices even if they don't have all the latest bells and whistles. Thanks for the recommendation :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Know what you mean. Maybe same reason my car is almost 19 yrs old.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who feel the need to have a numerical indication of battery life because they may struggle with power management, have a look at this. Custom screen now appearing...https://forums.garmin.com/...3-Lets-see-your-face

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Quote Reply

Prev Next